Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble breathing when laying

I am over 3 months out of surgery and I've lost a ton of weight. Down to 335 from 450 (450 highest since before surgery, 388 at time of surgery). In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that when I lay down my chest feels weird almost like it's hard to breathe. I've had no problems when I am up and about moving around although sometimes I almost feel the same feeling when sitting. Now, I know that sedentary life leads to concerns about pulmonary embolism. Thing is that in 2011 I had a pulmonary embolism so I know quite well how that feels. This is something else. I have really bad anxiety but when I feel the problem in my chest I'm not always anxious (I don't recall being anxious anyway which is no guarantee). I also don't have sleep apnea unless I've started to have it now after LOSING weight.

My heart rate is also way down since losing so much weight, resting in the 50's and sometimes dropping just down into 40's. I have found some others after bariatric surgery experiencing this heart rate issue too.

I know that I am going to have to call the clinic on Monday and ask them about it, possibly even take a trip to the doctors about it just to be sure, but I was kind of curious to know if others who started out quite large and lost a ton found themselves with sort of shrinking pains? Like your body adjusting to the weight shifting during weight loss causing pressures on different parts of the body that didn't have that weight there before. I was wondering if maybe the shift in stomach weight is pressing differently on my diaphragm causing the problems.

So far along this weight loss journey, I have gotten very painful nerve pains sometimes in strange parts of my body for a few days to a week and then they disappear so SOMETHING is going on.

Anyone else experience similar issues?

Obsidian

not qualified to give you any words of wisdom :(

not sure why you are dealing with these problems :o

good for you that you are taking matters in your hands and seeing the doctor :)

hopefully he'll give you the "magic" pill, that will fix all!!!! :)

vibes sending your way to help you feel better :)

congrats on your weight loss :)

keep up the good job

kathy

While I am waiting to see if anyone else here has experienced these issues I got ahold of my friend who had the RNY (she's also an EMT in training). She says her heart rate is now a normal 47bpm. Coupled with having read this on other forums I think the heart rate is not likely an issue. The breathing, she suggested since it is better when I am sitting or standing it's probably the weight pressing down and to just prop myself up because it will continue to change as I lose more weight. She apparently has had problems with it too and still props herself up as things change. I still will give my doc a call on Monday if things get any worse.

Still can't help but wonder how many others experience these issues as a normal side effect of losing a lot of weight.

Increased shortness of breath when laying down is sometimes a sign of congestive heart failure d/t increased "fluid" in your lungs. Some people will notice swelling in their legs (and arms on occasion) as well but not always. Hopefully this isn't the case for you but you should definitely have your PCP check you out to rule out CHF.

My weight stats are almost exactly the same as yours. I'm just today 3 months out, high weight pre-surgery 450, weight at surgery 389, this morning 338. I have not experienced anything like you are describing. Are you on any medications? If so, perhaps your weight loss has made them unnecessary and could be causing an issue. Just a stab in the dark. Definitely call your Doctor ASAP!

I had a 24 hour monitor, 30 day monitor, and stress test and everything due to a bad anxiety attack that I had my husband run me to the ER for a few years back. Everything came back normal except that I obviously have nasty anxiety.

Earlier, when I was completely distracted and after I had spoke with my friend and calmed down, I caught myself laying down on the couch nearly flat without feeling any problems breathing. So I'm kinda leaning towards my anxiety flaring up. For the record, Anxiety sucks, but you can bet I'll be keeping an eye on anything else going on.. it's what us anxiety sufferers do!

Now, I AM on thyroid medication and that DID cross my mind. I will definitely ask about getting that checked again, I haven't had it tested since before the surgery.

If you think it's your thyroid get it checked cmt little sis's MIL had a thyroid overdose a couple of months ago ( for some reason her body just didn't need as much, she has taken it for YEARS)

Les said they were out to dinner and she asked to get out of the booth because she needed to get a bit of air, stood up and the next thing she was on the floor with her eyes rolling back. My sis is a nurse and she thought she was dying. Turns out to much thyroid can put your heart in a weird arrhythmia, she ended up on heart medication while they adjusted her thyroid meds. Later she said she thought she was having a panic attack.

Don't want to scare you, but get checked out! ;-)

Laurie