Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It has saved my life, and it can save your's!

Hi: To date I have lost over 60 pounds since march 25th 2013. Oh yes its nice to lose this kind of weight, but in some cases, such as: diabetes & its complications, high blood pressure, edema, congestive heart failure, and respiratory problems, can be life threatning . I have all of these and more. But since I have lost this weight, the one thing I didn't see coming was the change in medications . As the body loses the fat, the same dosage may be too much and cause many side effects. This is where you need to see your pcp to have them adjust your medication as you go along. I didn't know this and went threw some awkward things such as; dizziness, passing out, falling, vomiting more often than I should, and unable to stand up in a regular manner. But since I did get this straightened out with my doc, things are a lot smoother now. I remember waking up after the surgery on the first day, thinking, did I do the right thing? Did I make a serious mistake? I think we all have questions and maybe some doubts, but as answers and solutions to various problems become resolved, you will become a much healthier you, and isn't that what we are striving for? Yes it is a life saver and I believe that with your new heath, you will also live longer! :D I believe in this surgery 1000% and I wish all of you the very best on getting your lives back & enjoying life the way it was meant to be for you. TY 4 reading.

Great PSA...my hubby is sleeved also and 10 days post-op passed out because he was still on BP meds and didn't need them anymore. He is now over 2 years post-op and hasn't had them since the day he passed out.

That's excellent....I was told this also, that in time, some or all meds will either be at a minimal or eliminated. BP can be a wicked thing and its really great to hear that he is off the bp meds all together. You'll have him around a lot longer now :D TY 4 the reply.

I have 2 sons that need to lose a lot of weight. They are 400 plus lbs. I watch when we get together the amount of all the wrong foods they choose. It breaks my heart and I worry so about them. My middle son was only about 40 lbs overweight and he had a heart attack at 31 yrs of age. He ate all the right foods most of the time and this happened to him. The other two are a time bomb waiting to go off.

Am so glad you were smart enough to take this step. I did it at 66 yrs of age. My diabetes had got to the point of 150 units of insulin a day and metforin. I am down to 30 units now. No longer a human pin cushion. Only have to test my blood once a day and and take insulin once instead of 4 times a day.

Best of luck to you on your journey. It is a trip .

That's excellent....I was told this also, that in time, some or all meds will either be at a minimal or eliminated. BP can be a wicked thing and its really great to hear that he is off the bp meds all together. You'll have him around a lot longer now :D TY 4 the reply.

You are welcome. He definitely stays on top of checking his BP at home. It runs in his family so we are *hopeful* that he won't ever have to be on meds again for high BP, but he is aware that it could change as he ages (he's 43). I was sleeved about 5 months before him but luckily didn't have any obesity-related health issues. The high BP was his only one, but since we were both morbidly obese it was the ticking time bomb for sure. Being sleeved was truly the best thing we have both ever done in regards to our health!

Congrats on your loss of weight and meds!

This is one of my goals to be off of as many meds as possible.

I will gladly replace them with Vitamins :D

Another goal is to not have the blood pressure cuff re-pump on my fat arm when it should be done.

It really hurts. I don't think thin people realize that.

I have 2 sons that need to lose a lot of weight. They are 400 plus lbs. I watch when we get together the amount of all the wrong foods they choose. It breaks my heart and I worry so about them. My middle son was only about 40 lbs overweight and he had a heart attack at 31 yrs of age. He ate all the right foods most of the time and this happened to him. The other two are a time bomb waiting to go off.

Am so glad you were smart enough to take this step. I did it at 66 yrs of age. My diabetes had got to the point of 150 units of insulin a day and metforin. I am down to 30 units now. No longer a human pin cushion. Only have to test my blood once a day and and take insulin once instead of 4 times a day.

Best of luck to you on your journey. It is a trip .

My brother must weigh over +300lbs and I've been sleeved for 2.5 years now and I *wish* he would go and do something about his weight. I worry about him...but I also realize this is a journey of self-discovery. Even though he has seen me be successful I can't make him walk in my path. :(

Great to hear about your diabetes getting better, gives me hope, ty. Your so right about time bombs and I know your scared to death for them. I also have 2 sons to my second wife and none to my 3rd of 20 yrs, hehe! But I know how much you worry for them, and i'm tearing up because I know the love you have for them. Your also right bout food choices, in some cases like ya said about the heart attack...there are so many reasons this could happen including genes. I will pray for you & your sons, that there may be hope at the end of the tunnel for you, and that your boys take a turn around for the better. TY I appreciate your reply, take care!

Wife and I both kicked diabetes and sleep apnea. I also got over high blood pressure which I had for many years. No meds now but very conscious of getting nutrition and exercise in.

Welcome to you, Fishing Fool, may you live long and prosper! :)

Very good points. I've cut my HBP meds in half, as well as my diabetes meds. I've already eliminated my medicine for cholesterol. I'm doing so in a very careful deliberate manner with my PCP. on board This also shows the need to make sure your Dr is involved with your ongoing recovery process, if you are on the meds. My goal by my one year anniversary is to be drug free. It was the biggest reason for me to have the surgery.

I went from 6 daily meds to one in just a month! The one left is cymbalta and more for feet pain than depression!

This is a great topic. Last Wednesday I had a horrible experience that made me really sick. I had a HA so I decided to take a Tylenol with cod #4. I ate something before I took it. I ended up with a horrible pain in my stomach that worked itself down towards my intestines, which were already achy. I got a sensation to go throw it up. I went into the bathroom an sat down and my head started whirling. I passed out onto the floor and ended up vomiting and diarrhea at the same time. Scared the He** out of my family and myself. I was sick for 2 days. I seldom ever throw up. I've always taken 2 tylenol with cod #4 with no ill effects. So now I will avoid Tylenol with Cod #4 due to it could have been an overdose. So we really need to be proactive when getting prescriptions from our PCP's because they sometimes don't realize the effects of meds. And I will not take any NSAIDS due to this reaction. Sorry if there was TMI. :) This is such a learning experience.