Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days post op & surgeon follow up visit

I went to see my surgeon this morning for follow up. He was pleased with my progress. Down 14lbs since surgery. It's mostly Water weight - BUT this puts me 6 lbs down from the day BEFORE surgery, so either way, I'm happy. )

He released me to full liquids AND mushy foods as tolerated. He told me to go slow and make sure I get my Protein in every day. He asked me to follow up with my NUT in about a week to see if my diet needs any adjusting. She already told me pre-op that she could do it by email to save me some money,so yay! that.

Today I had my first Protein shake, which I've learned is making me very, very gassy! My tummy doesn't hurt, but it's making all of these digestive noises! I'm home alone so I don't really care, but I hope this calms down before I'm drinking these things at work! Awkward!

I also had some a scrambled egg, later a little (2 bites) of yogurt, and then a tiny piece of sharp cheddar cheese that my friend cut up to have with crackers. I just had the little bit of cheese, no cracker. It all went down just fine. I didn't feel any restriction, and I never got too full. I felt like I was taking nearly regular size bites. No weird digestion sounds like this shake is giving me! I wonder why the shake is doing that, but the food isn't? I would think my tummy would do better with the liquid...

So other than the weight loss, my BP was good, so I'm staying off my meds. I have to follow up with him in a month, then 3 months, then 6 months, then 12 months, then every year after that. It seems a bit excessive. But I like him, so I'll do it. :)

All in all, I feel much better. I still get some sharp pains in my belly button more than I'd like, but he said that's normal and should start to get better soon. I was able to go to a couple of stores after the appointment, do some shopping, then my dad suggested I try driving and he'd go with me in case I had any issues. I drove fine. I'm so happy to be mobile again!

The doc asked me when he shook my hand as I was leaving, "So are you glad you did it?"

I sure am. I thought it would be a LOT harder than this! :) :)

Congrats!

I had the same discomfort from gas for the first 3-4 weeks. I even had some major digestive issues that kept me in bed for days & forced me back to pureed foods. But I took care of myself, added some probiotic foods to my diet & now 6 weeks post-surgery I feel much better. I'm still learning what I can and cannot tolerate, but I've seen a great improvement as the days go by.

Good job! I am 7 days post op and just starting on full liquids and mushy stuff too. It's all been going down really well. I am with you with the protien shakes. They all give me gas! My doctor had told me to stay on Gas-X for a few weeks while I am still doing protien shakes, and it does help.

Good idea. I have gas-x strips but haven't really needed them yet. I'm gonna go get one now!

It was a while ago... But I still have memories of my first weeks. And yes my digestion was not good! Sometimes I didn't even want to leave the house! It does get better....

I also noticed some of the sugar free products I was eating in the early stages had sugar alcohols that really messed with my stomach.

It was a while ago... But I still have memories of my first weeks. And yes my digestion was not good! Sometimes I didn't even want to leave the house! It does get better....

I also noticed some of the sugar free products I was eating in the early stages had sugar alcohols that really messed with my stomach.

Good point. I agree on the sugar-free stuff. I cut it all out of my diet, and I've had much better success with my digestion.