Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swelling Above My Port Incision

Hi,

I'm exactly 3 weeks post Op, and I have swelling above my port incision that is not going away, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It doesn't hurt, but it's just annoying/concerning. Doctor said that it is probable a bouldup of Fluid that will go away by itself over time..?

Are you sure it's "swelling" or maybe it's just the port site bumping out where you can see it. The reason I ask is that the day I was leaving the hospital and getting dressed I felt a nice sized bump coming out over my rib cage, just under my breast. I made the dr feel it right away and he said that it is the port. He said I can feel it and see the bump because I have a very thin abdominal wall which means the port is closer to the outside. He said it will always stick out. It's really weird and it takes some getting used to. Sometimes it gets irritated from my bra. If you think it really is swelling though you should make an appt with your dr. Good look, I'm sure everything is fine.

Hi,

Funny that you posted this since I came to the site tonight looking for answers. I am 3 weeks post-op in a couple of days. A few days ago I started to have discomfort below my port incision.

I had discomfort after surgery......but at about 1 week post op it went away and I felt nothing. It seemed strange to me that I felt this discomfort again. All I would call it is discomfort.......it is not pain and it is not all the time -- just when I move or sit in a position that causes me to move that area of my body.

I can't tell for sure -- but it seems that I have new bruising right below my port incision as well. However, it is very slight and perhaps I just did not notice it before.

Has anyone had this before? I do have a young son that I've picked up a few times in the last week or so....but he is only about 24 pounds and it has been to get him out of his car seat and put him on the ground type of thing in very rare instances.....and I haven't done anything that has particularly irritated the area since surgery.

I'm thinking about giving it another week to see if it feels better.....and if not, trying to see the doctor again.

I'm 4 weeks post op and if I remember correctly I did have slight bruising around the port area. I would get that uncomfortable feeling too and have to move my position. My doctor said it was the muscle just getting used to the port being attached to it. He said it would pass and for the most part it has. Sometimes it would feel almost like a twitch. If your bruising doesn't get any better definitely make an appt to put your mind at ease. It's sure good to know there's others who share the same problems and worries.

I agree with Shutuplena my dr said the same thing when i was worried about slight bruising in my port region...he assured me nothing to worry about just my body getting used to the object inside.

:)

Becky