Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

AudricIan, I weighed the same as you when I was banded in June.

Didn't lose a single ounce until after 2 fills where I got restriction.

The loss is very slow...rediculious almost.

But it will happen!

I am glad everything is going so well for you! I don't think that's an unreasonable goal, especially if you get in the exercise.

I lost 22 lbs the first 4 weeks, but I started out higher than you, at 215.

You still haven't told your husband?

Hello fellow bandsters. Just posting an introduction:

Starting BMI/weight: 34.1/231 lbs

Surgery Date: November 16, 2007

Surgery BMI/weight: 32.5/220 lbs

Now: 30.7/208 lbs

I am not feeling any restriction but I get my first fill tomorrow!

I self paid as an investment in my future. I have central body obesity, high blood pressure and hyperlipidemia. My mother had the same body type, heart disease and diabetes. My insurance would not pay unless I had a BMI of 42 or greater! I would have to be about 290 lbs first. I could see that happening eventually if I kept going as I was, so I took the leap. I am glad I did. ;)

weight.png

I hope I can hit the gym after the 1st of the year. My hubby still does not knowI had the surgery. I am a good "hider". He wants to join the gym together after the 1st of the year. Dr. Ortiz did say no ab exercises for 3 months....anyone start abs before 3 months? I am doing good 7 days post op. My incisions look really good. The port area is starting to bruiseamd is that yellowish/black and blue color. That area is very sore if I put any pressure on it and it is slightly swollen. I hope I haven't been over doing it.

SEUDO: I was self pay also (like alot of others on this thread) I guess I never thought of it as an investment for my future. That will be a good one for when I finally tell my hubby! My fat was all centrally located also. I could hide it with big sweaters because my legs and arms are thin, no butt either. I can't wait until my belly matches the rest of my body!

Don't push the three month restriction on ab exercise. I am two months from surgery, and still feel pain if I lift anything heavy. There is no sense in causing damage to your healing in the Quest for a faster body reshaping.

One of the hardest things for most of us, I think, is to realize that even with the band we are not going to be skinny and fit overnight. I keep seeing posts where people are complaining that they are "only" losing one or two pounds a week. Considering that without the band I would not be losing anything and would probably be gaining weight, I think one or two pounds a week is great. That translates to 50 to 100 pounds a year, and to lose much faster than that would not be healthy.

I met with Dr. Wright (San Antonio) today and scheduled my surgery for 01/02/08. There were times when I was sitting in his waiting area thinking "Oh my gosh - what am I doing? Do I really need this? Can't I just do it myself?" But if I could do it myself - I wouldn't be overweight! I have to stay positive. I am also self-pay and ya'll are right - it is an investment in my future! It's also an investment in my child's future!

Racetrackweary said:

It's also an investment in my child's future!

That's how I look at it. I waited so long for my son. The infertility drama, the adoption drama and finally I have my beautiful baby boy and I won't take a picture with him because I'm too embarrassed by my weight. Next Christmas we will have a family photo card instead of just him and the dogs! I can't wait! :whoo:

Here's his adorable pic! http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/Away2me/JakeGraceLR.jpg

I didn't wait 3 months to do ab exercises. Not even close. I asked my dr. because I was already used to going to the gym regularly, and he said go whenever I felt ready. I specifically asked about

crunches and ab work and he said no problem.

Racetrackweary said:

That's how I look at it. I waited so long for my son. The infertility drama, the adoption drama and finally I have my beautiful baby boy and I won't take a picture with him because I'm too embarrassed by my weight. Next Christmas we will have a family photo card instead of just him and the dogs! I can't wait! :whoo:

Here's his adorable pic! http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/Away2me/JakeGraceLR.jpg

I am like you. My boys are an absolute blessing, I was not supposed to be able to carry either of them and there were a lot of complications with both of them during and after pregnancy. Now they are perfectly healthy and I am working on that part for myself. No more kids for us, too many scary moments with these two. My Christmas card picture is on my signature, as you can see, I am not in it! That is how all of my Christmas cards have been since I have had my boys. Next year, it is on, my hubby and I will both be in the picture!

I just had the best day ever - I went for my second fill - I asked the dr to get aggressive and so I am now up to 5ccs in a 10cc band. The Dr warned me that I may not be feeling restriction until one or two more, oh well.

While I was there, they wanted to take my measurement (belly - right at the belly button) again for comparison. I have lost SIX inches, just at my waist, since the surgery. This is so wonderful.

AudricIan -

Just wondering how your recovery is going and whether you have told your husband you had the surgery yet.

RTW

H235/C220/G140

Seminar - 12/10/07

Met Dr. - 12/10/07

Meet Nutritionist - 12/20/07

Surgery date - 01/02/08

Well, I had my surgery on Friday. All went well and I'm doing pretty good. I'm bummed that I feel so hungry. I was hoping that at this stage I'd feel something other than that. I feel bloated from the gas and IV Fluids, but still hungry, such a frustrating combination.

I can't wait till soft food stage. I'm going nuts already.

Away2me -

Congrats on being banded! I have 2 weeks til my surgery - 01/02/08. Did you rest most of the weekend? Are you feeling "back to normal"?

RTW

Seminar 12/10/07

Diagnostic Evaluation 12/11/07

Met Dr. 12/11/07

Meet Nutritionist 12/20/07

Surgery 01/02/08

I feel pretty normal. A little tender in the belly, but not drained or sleepy. I think the biggest frustration is feeling hungry and bloated. It is really annoying. But not painful. I didn't do a lot this weekend, but I did walk around and do normal household things.

Yesterday I made my first lap band mistake, I drank too much broth. I did sip, but I guess I sipped too much. I felt terribly Water logged and bloated most of the day after that. There is definitely a learning curve to the band. ;)

Today I'm back to normal life, no husband to help with my 19-month-old so I better be ready!

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most painful) I give the whole thing a 4.

AudricIan -

Just wondering how your recovery is going and whether you have told your husband you had the surgery yet.

RTW

H235/C220/G140

Seminar - 12/10/07

Met Dr. - 12/10/07

Meet Nutritionist - 12/20/07

Surgery date - 01/02/08

My recovery is going great. I am not swollen at all anymore, all of the post op restriction is gone (darn it!) The only incision you can see is the one where the port is and it looks so good. My hubby still doesn't know. I will probably tell him after Christmas. He has been supportive of my "new diet"...I was absolutely starving so I had to start grinding up real food and eating it. I have lost 7 lbs though. I will probably get my 1st fill on my 4 week anniversary. I just can't believe how good my incisions look, Dr. Ortiz did a fabulous job! After looking at some of the pics on the "scar stages" thread I was really worried because I do not scar nice at all. I am not sure what Dr. Ortiz did but, the port incision just looks like a scratch and the others are just tiny dots. I am very pleased with the overall experience so far, just wish I still had some post op restriction....can't wait for my first fill, I don't want to gain the 7 lbs back!