Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Only 2 more days until my surgery. I am starting to freak out! I think I have eaten everything that I crave, I should be good for a while! Here is what I have on hand for the first fews weeks of recovery, please let me know if there is anything else I may need.

Gas X

chewable Vitamins

Chewable Calcium

Instant Breakfast

Lots of broth

Lots of Water

Crystal light mix

Protein powder flavored and unflavored (ordered from unjury...is it any good???)

liquid tylenol and motrin

tums

Jello, pudding(sugar free, not sure if that is a good thing for me or not)

"Cream of" Soups

Heating pad

I think that is all I will need as soon as I get home. Feel free to add to my list, I have one day to get it all together! ;)

I think you have it covered. I have heard unjury is one of the best Protein powders. I have never tried it, but everyone on here seems to rave about it.

Keep us posted on how you're feeling! Best of luck. I am sure everything will go smoothly for you. I think most of us with the lower bmi's to start with, had a fairly easy recovery. Personally, I

would never have known I had surgery, if I didn't have the little marks on my tummy!

The only thing I would add would be apple juice--it's the only way I could get my calories during the clear liquid stage. I didn't want anything warm in my tummy--made me feel bloated--but half an ounce of cold juice was soothing.

Don't bother with the "reduced calorie" juice, you won't be drinking enough to matter, and you need the calories the day after surgery.

Thanks everyone for your support. I hope my recovery is uneventful too! He will be mad once he finds out I did it behind his back but, he will get over it. Once he sees that I can lose weight and keep it off he will be happy for me. Once I feel better about my body image, things will be better for him (in bed, where it matters!) LOL!

Oh yeah!!! Believe me, things change!!! I can only speak from my own experience, but my husband can't keep his hands off of me!!!

I love it!!:clap2:

I also feel sexy for the first time in my whole life and that makes a huge difference.

Only 2 more days until my surgery. I am starting to freak out! I think I have eaten everything that I crave, I should be good for a while! Here is what I have on hand for the first fews weeks of recovery, please let me know if there is anything else I may need.

Gas X

chewable Vitamins

Chewable Calcium

Instant Breakfast

Lots of broth

Lots of Water

Crystal light mix

Protein powder flavored and unflavored (ordered from unjury...is it any good???)

Liquid tylenol and motrin

tums

Jello, pudding(sugar free, not sure if that is a good thing for me or not)

"Cream of" Soups

Heating pad

I think that is all I will need as soon as I get home. Feel free to add to my list, I have one day to get it all together! :)

Get ready to be pampered!!! The Lucerna is great!! Their beef broth is so good too! If you ask for room service, just ask them for the meal that the lapband patients get and you get lots of good stuff!!!

Dr. Ortiz and his staff are awesome!!!! You are in great hands!!!

The nurse who does the IV is the BEST!! Her name is Josepha and I was so impressed!! For some reason I always have trouble with my blood being drawn and every single IV has been HELL for me to get and painful, but she was definitely the best I have EVER HAD!!!!!

She doesn't speak English, but who the heck cares because in any language, she is GOOD at what she does.

A lot of the staff does speak English too. I would also suggest that when you leave for surgury, don't check out or else you have to take all your stuff with you and re check in.

I left all my stuff at the hotel, they are paying it for you anyway.

I took what I had on their, they put me in a gown right away and I just folded my clothes and put them on the sofa. I only took a small bag with my toothbrush. Travel as light as you can. Then when they take you back to the hotel, it is easier. Everyone was saying "I wish I would have done that!"

They also have computers you can use and a phone to make calls anywhere you want for free.The private suite is very nice too!

I had the Gas X strips and they helped a lot. I also bought Liquid Tylenol PM for the evening.

For food, I had watered down juice (full juice will give you diahrea), crystal light in all flavors I could find, Cream of everything soups, Split pea Soup, Nectars Protein drinks in fruit flavors (Bariatriceating.com), a small food processor from Walmart for like $14), I bought Wolfgang Pucks beef and chicken bouillion ( in a small jar with real ingreadients, you add Water. This was the BOMB).

I also bought Tortilla Soup mix (dry mix) and just added water to it and blended it up. I bought Nacho cheese for nachos and added it to the soup. This was so GOOD!!! I also bought Hormel chili and added the cheese to it (put in the food processor with water). I only ate these high calorie foods during this "liquid" time since it was so hard to get calories in and it was in small quantities. Without enough calories you will feel very weak.

Someone had given me the idea of the Carnation Instant Breakfast mix with SoyMilk and putting it in a water bottle and then put it in the freezer. For some reason it didn't freeze all the way and tasted really good.

That is all I can think of for now! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me!

Oh, just a reminder. Dr. Ortiz techinically does not give a mushy stage since people can gain weight here.

But if you tell them you are hungry and feeling weak after a few days, they will let you eat yogurt with no chunks.

The Soups can be added as you feel you need if you are very weak. Dr. Miranda the nutrionist always answered all my questions by email or phone and believe me, I called and emailed them all A LOT!!! They never made me feel like I was bothering them and always answered me. One of the coordinators, Rene ( I think he is a supervisor now, thin, good looking guy with black rimmed glasses), always answered my emails and calls right away.

I drove over the border at night by accident and he actually came to find us and drove the car to the hotel for us!!!! I was freaking out!!!

I would have thought that would have happened before, but nope, he said it was a first!!! I was so embarrased, but no one made me feel bad or uncomfortable.

Cool scipture I found today reading from The Message Bible translation (easier for me to understand)

1 Corinthians 6:13

13You know the old saying, "First you eat to live, and then you live to eat"? Well, it may be true that the body is only a temporary thing, but that's no excuse for stuffing your body with food, or indulging it with sex. Since the Master honors you with a body, honor him with your body!

I have read the threads on this forum and I am so encouraged by the support and information that everyone shares.

I am seriously considering have the surgery - will attend free seminar on Monday - December 10. I am 5'5" and currently weigh 220 - my BMI is 35 - age 41. Yes - I have heard all the same stories as you from "well intentioned" people - exercise, diet, get on a schedule, blah, blah, blah! Don't these people realize that I have tried everything? And I have failed everything! The only thing that I can say really worked was diet pills - but I hated the person I was on the pills that I never want to go through that again. Not to mention, all the pounds PLUS more returned once I went off the pills.

I, like many of you, don't want to tell many people about this surgery. Two summers ago I had plastic surgery - the whole kitenkaboodle - Tummy Tuck, breast reduction, Lipo - I made the mistake of telling everyone! So needless to say - I am having to deal with the humiliation of being a fat blob that paid $20k for plastic surgery. I sat down with my husband two days ago and told him I was considering the lapband surgery - he, of course, tells me he loves me like I am. He did say that he wants me to do whatever makes me happy.

To summarize my ramblings - I am so fearful that I am gonna fail at this too. The fear is so crippling that I can see myself waffling.

I have read the threads on this forum and I am so encouraged by the support and information that everyone shares.

I am seriously considering have the surgery - will attend free seminar on Monday - December 10. I am 5'5" and currently weigh 220 - my BMI is 35 - age 41. Yes - I have heard all the same stories as you from "well intentioned" people - exercise, diet, get on a schedule, blah, blah, blah! Don't these people realize that I have tried everything? And I have failed everything! The only thing that I can say really worked was diet pills - but I hated the person I was on the pills that I never want to go through that again. Not to mention, all the pounds PLUS more returned once I went off the pills.

I, like many of you, don't want to tell many people about this surgery. Two summers ago I had plastic surgery - the whole kitenkaboodle - Tummy Tuck, breast reduction, Lipo - I made the mistake of telling everyone! So needless to say - I am having to deal with the humiliation of being a fat blob that paid $20k for plastic surgery. I sat down with my husband two days ago and told him I was considering the lapband surgery - he, of course, tells me he loves me like I am. He did say that he wants me to do whatever makes me happy.

To summarize my ramblings - I am so fearful that I am gonna fail at this too. The fear is so crippling that I can see myself waffling.

You sound a lot like me!!! I had "some work" done about 3 years ago, than gained 30+ pounds! I was 190 preband and now weigh 145, but I also took a supplement to help with my metabolism. It isn't a "diet pill" like I had taken in the past.

My husband said he loved me the way I was too. That made it easier since there was no pressure from him. But, he was always supportive. My highest weight was 240.

Let me know if you have any questions!!!

I'm not fearful of the surgery - since I went through plastic surgery ordeal - my only question is recovery time. I know that each person is different - but since I want to keep my surgery quiet - will it be a short enough period of time to feign stomach flu? My mom - 5'2" who weighs 100 lbs soaking wet - "babysat" me during recovery of plastic surgery - NO WAY do I want her to know. She was very, very anti everything. She's never been overweight EVER and she feels like my lack of self control, will power, etc. is what keeps me overweight. I have the luxury of working from home - so no lifting, pushing, etc.

Sounds like I am reaady to go! I am leaving Orange County tomorrow at 7am to arrive at the border by 10 am. It is only about 100 miles, I just need to make sure I have time to fight the southern california traffic. There are 6 surgeries scheduled for tomorrow, mine being one of them. I am not sure exactly what time I will be in surgery. I will get on if I am feeling up to it. I am still very worried since my hubby doesn't know that I am doing this tomorrow. I told him I was doing it, just not when I would do it! I am sure I will be on here asking a million quetions that you all have already answered a million times before!. Thank you to everyone, you are my support until I can get my hubby to understand. Big hugs to all of you:girl_hug:

I'm not fearful of the surgery - since I went through plastic surgery ordeal - my only question is recovery time. I know that each person is different - but since I want to keep my surgery quiet - will it be a short enough period of time to feign stomach flu? My mom - 5'2" who weighs 100 lbs soaking wet - "babysat" me during recovery of plastic surgery - NO WAY do I want her to know. She was very, very anti everything. She's never been overweight EVER and she feels like my lack of self control, will power, etc. is what keeps me overweight. I have the luxury of working from home - so no lifting, pushing, etc.

I had surgery in March and didn't tell anyone but my husband and kids. On my way home from the hospital my mom called to say my dad had just been diagnosed with colon cancer. I told her I couldn't come to the hospital then but I went the next day. I was moving pretty slowly--especially when I went to sit down in the chair. My sisters and mom asked what was wrong--had I hurt my back? I told them "no, I had some minor surgery." When they pressed I told them I had a hiatal hernia repaired (which is true since the dr. found it during the lapband placement). That was the end of that. They still don't know.

I went back to work on Thursday after my Monday surgery and not having been able to rest much because of trips to the hospital every day for my Dad (an hour drive each way). I have a desk job so was able to take it easy but I think it was a bit early given all that went on that week.

Anyway, that's my story--you can probably get around it just fine; I do think the flu story would work if you want to go that way. There's no way I'd ever tell my mother either. I totally understand. Good luck!

MomLambert -

Thanks so much for words of wisdom. Although I hate to keep "secrets" from everyone, I just can't face the humiliation should I fail again. I realize that the lower BMI patients have slower weightloss and am hoping that it's so gradual that no one will make a big deal out of it. Like I stated earlier my mom is very "Negative" when it comes to weightloss - of course, she weighs 100 lbs soaking wet and has never had to diet. After having her babysit me through the whole "plastic surgery" recovery - there is NO WAY I would tell her or ask for assistance with this surgery. Last night I started getting "rumblings" from my husband who two days ago told me he just wanted me to be happy. (Knew it was coming. Why do people have to rain on my parade?) Now I'm stuck between telling him to "stick it" and doing the surgery on my own or just "blowing off" the whole deal.

MomLambert -

Thanks so much for words of wisdom. Although I hate to keep "secrets" from everyone, I just can't face the humiliation should I fail again. I realize that the lower BMI patients have slower weightloss and am hoping that it's so gradual that no one will make a big deal out of it. Like I stated earlier my mom is very "Negative" when it comes to weightloss - of course, she weighs 100 lbs soaking wet and has never had to diet. After having her babysit me through the whole "plastic surgery" recovery - there is NO WAY I would tell her or ask for assistance with this surgery. Last night I started getting "rumblings" from my husband who two days ago told me he just wanted me to be happy. (Knew it was coming. Why do people have to rain on my parade?) Now I'm stuck between telling him to "stick it" and doing the surgery on my own or just "blowing off" the whole deal.

Even if someone rains on your parade, it doesn't mean you can't dance in the rain! Go for it, if it's what you want for yourself. Your husband will see your commitment to the new and healthier you and be glad you followed your heart and didn't give into his misgivings.

You are right about lower bmi-er's losing more slowly. I've only lost 34 lbs. in 9 months. I think my age also is a factor and the fact that I have really messed up my metabolism with constant dieting. Anyway, I don't think anyone would ever suspect I had weight loss surgery. I saw some friends the other day who live in the city where we used to live (haven't seen them since surgery) and they all noticed my weight loss. When they asked how I had done it, I honestly told them "diet and exercise." That's the truth.

Good luck with your decision. My husband had big misgivings (especially because we were self-pay) but was very supportive in the end and still is to this day, for which I am grateful. I hope the same for you! Keep us posted.

Well, here I am. I drove down to TJ yesterday morning and I was banded by 4 pm. No real belly or incision pain at all, just a little soreness and the gas pains. If had the gas pain while I was a sleep, i would just roll over and wiggle my body around for a while. One of the lovely nurses came in and she rubbed my back and patted on it to move the gases around. The pain meds they give do not knock you out or make you feel drunk, they are very mild. I am allergic to several different types of drugs including PCN, morphine and sulfa containing drugs and there was no prblem accomodating me.

Overall, it has been an easy process (getting down here and to the clinic) and an easy reovery. Dr. Ortiz is a nice guy, I was able to joke with him. All of the other doc's are great too, the nursing staff is wonderful. When I was talking to Dr. Ortiz, he said that within the next year he is going to bring on a Brazilian plastic surgeon, I can't wait for that! My incisions are what I expected, the port incision is about 1/2 inch and it is really the only one that is sore. the rest look like little poke holes.

I have been sipping Water and juice, they just gave me some broth. I can't tell any difference at all, I can't "feel" that there is anything in my body. I am not really tight and I don't have any weird pains in my chest. Hopefully this will be an easy recovery for me. However, if you swallow it wrong and have to cough, that hurts mainly at the port incision. I will try no to do that again.

I will keep everyone updated.