Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Audree,

I'm also an Ortiz patient, and like you -- did not have a mushy stage. However, if you'd like to learn from my mistakes -- please do so. One of my first meals on day 22 was chicken. NOT a good idea. I got stuck and did not only PB, but vomited over and over again. I had to get on the phone with Dr. Martinez and he put me on liquids for yet another week. So, I would suggest that when you get to that day 22, that you do mushies for a few days and see how it goes before going right into solids.

k

Did they explain why we don't get a mushy stage? It doesn't really make sense. I agree completely with what you are saying. I will do mushies instead of straight solids for a few to transition. I am going to be really afraid of chicken. What about ground chicken and turkey? I bought some chicken meatballs stuffed with cheese at Sams Club. It is ground chicken. They have no preservatives and are supposed to be natural. I was thinking of eating them with spaghetti sauce when the time came.

I also heard that crab or salmon patties are a good source of Protein.

When are you up for a fill? If I lose restriction, I was going the weekend of Feb. 16.

Goodevening Ladies,

How is everyone feeling? I have to say I just had my first margarita since surgery and it felt great. I eat regular food now but eat like a child on a little saucer. No seconds and am still staying full except when It's meal time. My pants are getting loser. Yea!!!!!!!!!!

I have finally got threw telling everyone that I am sick with a stomach bug. I hate that I did'nt tell anyone but my hubby and mom and dad. I do like how I don't get any feed back or negitive comments. I am not sure how I will feel when I lose about 50 pounds and everyone will hound me. I am just trying to stay away from all junk. The only junk I have had is one fig newton and that mararita today. The drink hit me alot faster that I expected so everyone be aware of that.

We are getting a big snow storm tomorrow and am going to shovel off some calories. Three days till my hysto and I am dreading that but watching the scale drop helps my spirt. I am down to 197.5.

Keep me in your prays for Thurs.

Stay Warm,

Madden

Since we both have the same type of post op eating plans, what did you eat? I am so tired of creamy Soups and shakes, I dont even want to eat anymore. The drinkable yogurt is the only thing I kinda like and I am running out of ideas. I made tortilla Soup with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese and that was good.

I just don't know what to eat and feel weak because my calorie intake is too low. I am feeling weak and sick to my stomach from only having about 400 calories today and it is already 4pm.

What can we eat that is not a mushy? But, then creamy Soup is a mushy technically isn't it? She said not even oatmeal because it has chunks in it and no applesauce. Did they say why???

Thanks,Audree

my biggest fear is getting banded only to lose 20lbs. i mean, 20 would be great! but not for 9K!!! i decided to go to a seminar offered at a local clinic even though i am going with Dr. Ortiz. the more information, the better, eh? it really does help reassure me when i see people with similar stats losing! thanks guys! you rock!!!:clap2:

my biggest fear is getting banded only to lose 20lbs. i mean, 20 would be great! but not for 9K!!! i decided to go to a seminar offered at a local clinic even though i am going with Dr. Ortiz. the more information, the better, eh? it really does help reassure me when i see people with similar stats losing! thanks guys! you rock!!!:clap2:

You have to remember I was only banded 12/21/06. I have not even had a fill yet. Once you get your fills and start getting more restriction you lose more.

Madden

Madden: I will keep you in my prayers. Let us know how you are doing.

Silry: MOre info the better so you can come and share!!!

Any you will lose a lot more than 20, especially if you listen to the bandster rules. I for one do better with a low carb. Carbs leave me feeling cloudy headed and my stomach feels like a bottomless pit where I have no cue of being full. I am sure that will change now, but I don't want to hurt my band by eating too much. I always feel healthier doing a South Beach type thing.

Audree

you know... i have a question. i am going to try to put this delicately... do uh, younger patients tend to lose more? :guess on another thead i saw a few ladies with the same amount of weight i wanted to lose but after months they had only lost a little bit... but they were 55+... so i was just wondering.:paranoid

Any you will lose a lot more than 20, especially if you listen to the bandster rules. I for one do better with a low carb. Carbs leave me feeling cloudy headed and my stomach feels like a bottomless pit where I have no cue of being full. I am sure that will change now, but I don't want to hurt my band by eating too much. I always feel healthier doing a South Beach type thing.

Audree

i am going to look into south beach. i did low carb years ago before it was fashionable and had a million products out there. i didn't lose a lot of weight, but i went down like 3 sizes... so i was thrilled. i know i don't want to do low carb again, but i remember south beach being more well rounded nutritionally speaking... besides, their frozen meals look WAY yummier!!! :hungry:

audree, you are making this so easy for me! i am just constantly reassured by your posts!!! you are so well informed. my hero! :clap2:

Yeah, South Beach lets you have carbs, like whole wheat Pasta, whole grain bread, brown rice, wheat tortillas. There are a lot of good substitues for South Beach. I will post them on here just in case anyone wants the info.

Thanks Silry! I am glad I can help you by what I am going through. I am one of those who research to death also. I even bought Dr. ORtiz's book and read it three times, underlining all that apply to me.

I also heard that they younger you are, the easier to lose and your skin has a better chance to no sag! I am using some cream I bought with cocoa butter, shea butter. It is supposed to be for weight loss and pregnancy.

Audree

Madden: I will keep you in my prayers. Let us know how you are doing.

Audree

Week Three;

Canned tuna or chicken baked fish

cooked carrots banana

cauliflower patato brown rice

sweet potato hot ceral

a few other things

Week 4

Mostly everything. Protein yea.

I am finally starting my week 4

A sample of my day is. 1/2 cup oatmeal for Breakfast

lunch: Whole wheat small wrap(50cal) with one slicelow fat turkey and

1 slice low fat cheese. That fills me up.

Supper. 5 or 6 bites of Chicken breat, lowfat cottage cheese and a little apple sauce.

I am still scared to try alot of things but the above keeps me happy. I sneak in a Protein Drink.

I agree about the south beach. I could always loose alot on that. I am trying to go by that now. I don't eat any carbs after 3;30pm. My trainer suggested this. I just eat small amouts and am satisfied. That amazes me. If I am still hungrey, I wait 45 min after my meal and have a 1/2 glass of Water and am full.

Hey, Speaking of South Beach. I love those spinach quesh muffins, I will have to dig out the recipe.

I am so excited for 6 months to pass.

Madden

South Beach Diet food List

During Phase 1, the foods eaten will be in controlled portions to include chicken, beef, turkey, fish, and shellfish. These types of foods along with vegetables, eggs, cheese, nuts, and salads can also be eaten, although all of it will be in controlled portions. Refer to the following list to see the types of foods that are acceptable in phase 1, 2, and 3. Remember that bread, rice, potatoes, Pasta, baked goods, fruit, candy, cake, Cookies, ice cream, or sugar will be slowly added back into your diet in Phase 2.

Foods to Enjoy Phase 1

<CENTER><TABLE borderColorDark=#f2f2f2 width="80%" bgColor=#ffffff borderColorLight=#c0c0c0 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Boiled Ham</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Canadian Bacon</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Canola Oil</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Chicken Breasts (skinless)</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Cheese (fat-free or low-fat - American, Cheddar, cottage, cream substitute, feta)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Cornish Game Hen</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Eggs (whole)</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Fish (all types)</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Green Vegetables</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Lunchmeat (lean)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Peanut Butter</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Peanuts</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Pecans</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Pistachio Nuts</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Olive Oil</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Seasoning/Spices (broth, butter sprays, pepper, anything containing no sugar)</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Shellfish</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Sirloin</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Sweets * (chocolate powder, cocoa powder (baking type), hard candy, sugar substitute (sugar-free)</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Tenderloin</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Tofu</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Turkey Bacon</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Veal</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7>Vegetables (artichokes, asparagus, Beans, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, eggplant, legumes, lettuce, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, zucchini)</TD><TD width="20%" bgColor=#f7f7f7></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>Quick Shopping List for South Beach Diet Starter - Phase 1

• A lot of eggs! (at least two dozen. I ate 3 a day)
  • Turkey and Canadian bacon
  • Sugar free Jell-O
  • Lettuce & whatever else you want in your salads (buy enough for the week)
  • Salad dressing (balsamic vinaigrette is good)
  • Veggies (no carrots)(broccoli & zucchini are good)
  • Chicken breasts and whatever other meat you like
  • Nuts (for snacks)
  • Low fat string cheese & shredded cheese (I use it on my salads)
  • Part-skim ricotta cheese
  • Splenda or other sugar substitute

Allowed Foods in Phase 2 (Foods you can reintroduce

to your diet)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 borderColorDark=#ffffff cellPadding=6 width="80%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">FRUIT </TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">

• Apples
  • Apricots-dried fresh
  • Blueberries
  • Cantaloupe
  • Cherries
  • Grapefruit
  • Grapes
  • Kiwi
  • Mangoes
  • Oranges
  • Peaches
  • Pears
  • Plums
  • Strawberries

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">DAIRY </TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">

• Milk-light soy, fat-free or 1%
  • Yogurt-light, fruit-flavored, plain, low-fat or fat-free

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">STARCHES (USE SPARINGLY) </TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">

• Bagels, small, whole grain
  • Bread-multigrain, oat and bran, rye, whole wheat
  • Cereal-Fiber One, Kellogg's Extra-Fiber All Bran, oatmeal (not instant), other high-fiber, Uncle Sam
  • Muffins, bran-sugar-free (no raisins)
  • Pasta, whole wheat
  • Peas, green
  • Pita-stone-ground, whole wheat
  • Popcorn
  • Potato, small, sweet
  • Rice-brown, wild

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">VEGETABLES AND LEGUMES</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">

• Barley
  • Beans, pinto
  • Black-eyed peas

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">MISCELLANEOUS</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">

• Chocolate (sparingly)-bittersweet, semisweet
  • Pudding, fat-free/sugar-free
  • Wine, red

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">FOODS TO AVOID OR EAT RARELY!!! </TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%">STARCHES AND BREADS

Bagel, refined wheat

Bread-refined wheat white

Cookies

Cornflakes

Matzo

Pasta, white flour

Potatoes-baked, white instant

Rice cakes

Rice, white

Rolls, dinner

VEGETABLES

Beets

Carrots

Corn

Potatoes </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

FRUIT

Bananas

Canned fruit, juice packed

Fruit juice

Pineapple

Raisins

Watermelon

MISCELLANEOUS

Honey

Ice cream

Jam

i am going to look into south beach. i did low carb years ago before it was fashionable and had a million products out there. i didn't lose a lot of weight, but i went down like 3 sizes... so i was thrilled. i know i don't want to do low carb again, but i remember south beach being more well rounded nutritionally speaking... besides, their frozen meals look WAY yummier!!! :hungry:

audree, you are making this so easy for me! i am just constantly reassured by your posts!!! you are so well informed. my hero! :clap2:

The band is low carb, you eat Protein first above all and then you are pretty much full.

SouthBeach Diet Tips and Guides

The SouthBeach Diet is different from the Atkins diet in that it is not a low carbohydrate diet. Regardless of which phase you are currently in, you should follow these recommendations:

• Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of Water, decaffeinated beverages such as club soda, tea, coffee, or decaffeinated sugar-free soda every day
  • Limit your intake of caffeine-containing beverages to 1 cup each day
  • Take one Multivitamin and mineral supplement daily
  • Take 500 mg of Calcium for both men and women under the age of 50, and 1,000 mg for women over the age of 50, each day

Eating can be both pleasurable and healthy as long as you eat the proper foods. All the meals in the SouthBeach Diet consist of healthy combinations of carbohydrates, Proteins, and fats. Dishes can be made by anyone and the ingredients can be found in most grocery stores. These foods will satisfy your hunger without depriving your system of the low-quality starches and sugars that caused problems with your blood chemistry in the first place.

The SouthBeach Diet does not involve counting calories, fat grams, or portion sizes. This plan was designed to be simplistic and will help you understand the principles of metabolism and put it to work for your own body. A major key to success with the South Beach Diet is the Glycemic index (GI), which ranks carbohydrate foods based on the effect on blood sugar levels. When you start adding foods back into your diet in Phase 2, keep your focus on low-GI foods such as apples, berries, grapefruit, high-fiber Cereal, and whole grain breads.

Preparing For The Rest Of Your Life

Mindset Change for South Beach Diet

You have learned what the South Beach Diet is, how it works, and what to eat. Now, you need to get prepared to change the way you eat, for life. Start by accepting that the first couple of weeks will be a big change but one you will not regret. The first morning of this diet, you will eat a breakfast that may consist of a two-egg omelet with two slices of Canadian bacon, cooked in either spray canola or olive oil. In your old life, you may have toasted bread or a bagel and had fresh fruit or fruit juice to go along with your omelet. However, with the South Beach Diet, the bread will have to wait.

Most people have been conditioned their entire life to add bread to meals. You have toast with breakfast, sandwiches on bread for lunch, dinner rolls with dinner, and cake, Cookies, or pie for dessert. However, during Phase 1, you will have to forget about the bread. It may take a few days to leave old habits behind but keep in mind that it is during this time that your body’s inability to process sugars and starches is being reversed. After trying numerous diets, most leave you feeling hungry, is one of the most difficult aspects of any diet. A common denominator seen with overweight people is that most of them skip eating breakfast. When this happens, blood sugar drops, which then increases the desire for bad carbohydrates to escalate until lunch when the entire meal is blown.

Planning for South Beach Diet

Planning will help you stay away from snacking or substituting things that are not healthy and could cause weight gain. Remember that once you start into Phase 2, carbohydrates will start being introduced back into your diet along with fruits. You also need to remember to eat your mid-morning and mid-afternoon Snacks, even if you do not feel like it. Some of the greatest low-fats foods to incorporate into your planning include cheese and yogurt to replace the fats since they have no bad carbohydrates. In addition, the sugar is found in the lactose, milk sugar, is one of the things you can have with the South Beach Diet.

The South Beach Diet is a lifetime change, lifetime commitment, and a lifetime of health and vitality!

How Does The South Beach Diet Work?

As mentioned, the South Beach Diet is unique, successful, easy, and works in a three-phase process. Unlike many other so-called diets, with the South Beach Diet, simply substitutes your bad carbohydrates and fats for good ones. After trying this, you will be amazed by how well and quickly it works.

South Beach Diet Phase 1

123.jpgSouth Beach Diet Phase 1 lasts for two weeks. During this first phase, you will eat normal meals of chicken, beef, turkey, fish, and shellfish, lots of vegetables, eggs, cheese, nuts, and garden salads using 100% olive oil for your Salad Dressing. Each day for 14 days, you will eat three, well-balanced meals. While eating until your hunger is satisfied may go against most diets, with the South Beach Diet, it is part of the plan.

Trying to lose weight and become healthy by depriving the body of food makes no sense. In addition to the three meals each day, you will also eat a snack between breakfast and lunch, and then again between lunch and dinner. Even if you do not feel like eating these snacks, for the South Beach Diet to work, you need to, and after dinner, you will even have dessert. Additionally, during this phase, you can drink all the coffee and tea you want and be sure to drink lots of water.

You may be thinking that this is a lot of food - it is! With most diets, you deprive your body, eating only small portions of foods that are unappealing. The change you will make during this phase is that you will cut out all bread, rice, potatoes, Pasta, baked goods, fruit, candy, cake, cookies, ice cream, or sugar. Keep in mind that these eliminated foods will be added back into your diet, starting in Phase 2. In addition to taking these foods out of your diet temporarily, you will also need to avoid beer, or any kind of alcohol. Once you start Phase 2, reasonable amounts of wine can be added back in.

Instead of feeling overwhelmed about the foods that will be taken out of your diet during the first two weeks, stop and think about this for a minute. To achieve a life of health and lose unwanted weight, two weeks is a small investment to make. After all, you are worth it! The first two or three days will be somewhat challenging, but breaking any bad habit starts out a little bumpy. Once you pass this small hurdle, the rest of the time will go by quicker than you think. When you see the results that these changes bring, you will be glad you did not give up!