Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

kathyinca,

That is so awesome that you are kickstarted! I saw all the freezing in California... and was shocked. I am sure you are too, LOL. I am like you, I read this thread every day.

Audree,

As usual, you have a lot of good useful info. Especially explaining how they do the stitches over the lapband.

What I didn't like was the fact that you weren't thrilled with the nutritionist and the psychologist missed a scheduled appt. WTF? Not sure if what I would think about only 60 procedures. I would say go with your gut instinct on that one.

I think we are all neurotic to some degree. I told myself that I could get up and walk out right up until the time they put me under. I was saying that to myself as they rolled me into the OR. Someone else on here said, you know if it doesn't work, I have tried everything else. It is something to try.

I guess that made me realize that on this site, we all REALLY care about our own health. We may not be the perfect specimens, but we never quit trying. We are all a bunch of fighters here. You can't just quit and give up, right? This is another opportunity, another chance, to try to change things in your life.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Thanks Supergenius!

Very well said!!!:clap2: I was just thinking the same thing last night. I was remembering all the times my family would tell me "What diet are you on now???" They would tell me why didn't I just give up and give in that I was fat and always would be??? I would say "because,I am not ever giving up or giving in and I will fight until I find something that works for me." I always thought something would click in my head, the "new" diet would work, the new pills would work. They just never did.

I AM SO HAPPY TO BE WITH BAND!!!!! I finally found what I was looking for!!!!

Tough day for me today. Started out GREAT because I could finally eat something other than clear broth. I had a Protein shake and I never had one that tasted so good, LOL. I also went on a 9 mile bike ride, just tooling around. I am still trying to really take it easy with the working out.

Then I had to go to my sister's, the one who doesn't know I was banded. I did her and her husband a favor and she made a steak dinner for me. I was like, OH HELL, how am I going to get out of this? I pretended to get sick and it was pretty lame acting I have to say. I am sure I will tell her at some point but I am not ready to right now.

By the way, the Protein Shake filled me up the majority of the day. Amazing.

THAT IS FUNNY!!! I was imagining myself doing that and seeing myself in a I Love Lucy re run!!! My kids are finally asking me, mom why have you been sick for a week? I told them I had the stomach flu. The cool thing is, my husband is having sympathy pains for me or is really sick!

What kind of protien shake did you use???

I am sick of cream Soups and am ready for a good Protein Shake.< /p>

Hello!

I had my seminar yesterday and they also said that a small portion of your stomach is around the band with stitches to prevent slippage. Nothing is re-routed, cut or stapled like other surgeries. I have also read this on various lap band websites. I get my psych eval, nutritionalist visit, etc.. next week and could be banded by the end of the month! I have lost my weight in the past also and pulled out photos today from 5 or 6 years ago and I can't wait to look and feel healthy again. I have clothes with price tags in the closet just waiting for me to be that magical size once again. I too am nervous and wonder what if I don't lose weight or regret it. I wonder if I have no will power because I know I did it before but I feel the band will help me to eat less and I too have eaten healthy but too much. Sometimes I think I have a bottomless stomach! I have been reading posts for approx. a month now and I am grateful that I have found this forum. It is normal for the stitching around the band and it is not a mixture of 2 surgery types. I hope to hear from all of you after my banding because I know I will need the support when I experience the "head hunger"!

Christine :)

You have clothes with price tags too waiting to be worn?? I thought I was the only one who did that! I also felt like a bottomless stomach,like a black hole. I figured out the carbs did that too me. I am really sensitive to carbs. More Protein in my daily eating helps tremendously.

Let us know how you are doing!!!:D

hi! i'm not sure if i'm a low bmi... probably not... 210lbs 5'1 bmi 39.7.

i was wondering if anyone else had similar stats that have already been banded. i am SO curious as to what to expect weightloss wise. i mean, i realize everyone is different, but i keep reading about people who are 300+lbs... i don't think that really applies to me. also, the people with my weight always seem to be 5'5 and taller.

i'm SO excited and anxious! i don't have a day set... hubby is trying to get a home equity line of credit, but i may just apply for credit on my own. i made my decision and i don't want to wait! my sister-in-law is getting married in june and this will be the first time that i have gone home with hubby and will meet all his friends and family. i want to make a good impression and not be ashamed at how heavy i am.

i have a passport, but got married so it's in my maiden name... should i reapply for a new one (mine doesn't expire until 2011) or could i sneak with it...?

my hub can't take days off work when i have my surgery so i will have to spend some time alone... if i flew in on thursday, could i have the surgery on a friday? does anyone know if that is too soon? or should i arrive on a wednesday? hubby will drive down on saturday and take me home sunday...

i ask too many questions! i also talk too much. go figure!

Yes, you sure are a lower bmi!!! Welcome and any question is a good question. I refinanced my house to do this and am glad I did. Also a small portion was on a credit card, anyway I could do it. I think flying in, you need a passport by jan. 28, 2007. I would ask wherever you get passport about the name change. You may not need a new one. I had to take my birth certificate and it had my maiden name on it. I also wasn't asked to show it.

I actually drove in Thursday night, had my pre op and surgery Friday and was going to go home on Saturday. But, heck, they paid for three nights at a VERY nice hotel, so my mom and I decided to have a little more vacation time. You can also coordinate with Dr. Ortiz patients on Lapbandforum.com and meet up with some nice ladies. I met a really nice lady on there and she held my hand and comforted me while there when I needed it.

:welcome: We are glad you are here!!!

Audree

Audree, thanks for checking on me! You have enough to deal with getting through this liquid phase. I was banded two weeks before Easter. I remember sticking scalloped potatoes in the blender with some milk (I was desperate!) But it was horrible!

When you can have soft foods, try ricotta cheese with an egg mixed up, then pour Prego, or some spaghetti sauce over it, cover and bake. It is yummy!

Hang in there!!! You are doing great! (And you are even encouraging others along the way...WTG)

Thanks Boo!!!

Man, I feel like calling Dr. Ortiz himself and asking him to explain to me why I don't get a MUSHY STAGE!!!!!!!!!!!:) I am supposed to stay on liquids for three weeks and day 22 go to solids. WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The nutrionist says I can't even have oatmeal because it has chuncks in it.

At least I am not hungry, but the thought of the ricotta spaghetti thing, major head hunger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Audree

I was 191 at my banding Nov. 30. After 2 fills (first 1cc, 2nd 1.2cc) I have offically lost 14 lbs. (more like 16-18 on my scale) I am 5 ft 5 1/2 inches. Was 31.5 bmi, now 29.5 SO NO LONGER OBESE! Weight is coming off oh ...so...slow..., but I am losing. My dr office says 1 lb a week is good. I do not really do anything I am supposed to do as far as eating/drinking/exercising. The protien shakes make me sick. I have a real hard time drinking enough. An egg in the morning really helps get me going. I am finally feeling good after how many weeks? This is going to work, although slowly.

Congrats on the weight loss!!! At least you know though, that if you wanted to you could lose the weight faster, sticking to the bandster rules. It would be scary to be doing all right and not lose, that was my fear.

In the dieting world, I always felt like no matter what I did, what diet I did,how much I worked out(actually had a personal trainer for 1 year and didn't really lose), I couldn't lose. The problem is, I didn't realize how MUCH I was actually eating or didn't want to. I was a volume eater. It took a lot of food for my stomach to signal full. Not anymore!!! Thank God!!!!!

We all have to take things in stages to what we can take on mentally. I heard somewhere you can only take one major life change at a time. Just see your surgery as one major life change. Then, when you feel ready, follow a certain eating plan you feel comfortable with and exercise. The great thing about the band is, you know you will lose no matter what you eat!!!!! My doctor told me that I could lose 28 or 58 pounds in 6 months. It just depended on if I listened to him and the bandster rules or not.

I for one, have a major goal, to lose 50 pounds in 6 months, by summer. That will be all my weight, more than I ever thougth I could lose on my own. I don't want to hide this summer with wraps. I want to walk proud along the beach!!! I have a visual in my head. I also heard visuaizing yourself at your goal, seeing your self in that dream outfit, is supposed to help you too. My dream outfit, one I have seen myself in for many years, I don't know why, is a snug fit pair of light brown/tan suede pants and a matching halter top. I have never even seen one, but I had a dream of me in in once.

Most importantly, congrats on the weight loss. Even if it is slow, it is going in the right direction, down!!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Audree

Audree, you probably do have a mushy stage...that really sounds ridiculous:rolleyes You should have some kind of practice chewing your food properly or else you could possibly get stuck when you start eating regular food. Definitely call your doc to make sure. I say do what you feel you can handle (mushies of course). If you chew your food well, stop when you are satisfied, and following the rules of protien first etc. you will do fine.:)

I use the unjury protien powder I like the chocolate and vanilla the best. I mix it with Silk soy milk and it is DEEElicious! I just recently tried the Pure Protien in the can it tasted like pure poison:sick Yuck!

I sent you an add request on myspace so look for me.

Silary, Im a BMI35.5 or more now and I weigh 194 Im considered a lower bmi and I short 5"2 , I wish I was 5"5 like Audree, Im waiting on settlement which should be in a couple of months then Im on my way! yaa! Im following Audree, She reminds me of ME! Igot the cothes with the price tags and the visions, you name it ive tried it. Im not getting rid of my clothes yet but I cant wait. I cant wait to see what Audree has lost,this website is so addictable, becuse it is real people with real results! I get tired of the fake before and after I wanna see real ones. Every body on here are doing great. Audree good job!

i was wondering if anyone else had similar stats that have already been banded. i am SO curious as to what to expect weightloss wise. i mean, i realize everyone is different, but i keep reading about people who are 300+lbs... i don't think that really applies to me. also, the people with my weight always seem to be 5'5 and taller.

i'm SO excited and anxious! i don't have a day set... hubby is trying to get a home equity line of credit, but i may just apply for credit on my own. i made my decision and i don't want to wait! my sister-in-law is getting married in june and this will be the first time that i have gone home with hubby and will meet all his friends and family. i want to make a good impression and not be ashamed at how heavy i am.

i have a passport, but got married so it's in my maiden name... should i reapply for a new one (mine doesn't expire until 2011) or could i sneak with it...?

my hub can't take days off work when i have my surgery so i will have to spend some time alone... if i flew in on thursday, could i have the surgery on a friday? does anyone know if that is too soon? or should i arrive on a wednesday? hubby will drive down on saturday and take me home sunday...

Silry,

I also started at a BMI of 39.7 and now am around a BMI of 35. Yes, you are a lower BMI patient.

As for surgery, I arrived on a Wednesday and had surgery on a Thursday. I could have departed on Friday -- but the hotel stay was part of the cost, so I stayed another night until Saturday before returning home. I am within driving distance of my surgeon. I could have easily gone home the day after my surgery. However, if I was flying home -- I think I'd stay the extra day to make sure I had no complications before getting on an airplane to go home.

Good luck with getting your surgery set up. I'm really happy I did this for me.

Kathy

Audree, you probably do have a mushy stage...that really sounds ridiculous:rolleyes You should have some kind of practice chewing your food properly or else you could possibly get stuck when you start eating regular food. Definitely call your doc to make sure. I say do what you feel you can handle (mushies of course). If you chew your food well, stop when you are satisfied, and following the rules of protien first etc. you will do fine.:)

I use the unjury protien powder I like the chocolate and vanilla the best. I mix it with Silk soy milk and it is DEEElicious! I just recently tried the Pure Protien in the can it tasted like pure poison:sick Yuck!

Audree,

I'm also an Ortiz patient, and like you -- did not have a mushy stage. However, if you'd like to learn from my mistakes -- please do so. One of my first meals on day 22 was chicken. NOT a good idea. I got stuck and did not only PB, but vomited over and over again. I had to get on the phone with Dr. Martinez and he put me on liquids for yet another week. So, I would suggest that when you get to that day 22, that you do mushies for a few days and see how it goes before going right into solids.

k

Hellow,

We have similar bmi. I am 5'2 and weighted 217 day of sugery and am know done to 197.5. I was banded 12/21/07. Good Luck.

Madden

Where do you get your Unjury protien shakes???

I emailed my nutrionist and she said, no mushy stage, not even oatmeal because it has chuncks in it. I think that sucks! I am going to call Dr. Ortiz and ask him. He told me to call anytime for anyting, so I am.

I am having trouble getting enough calories. I just have a lot of restriction still and it is really cold these days and it makes me feel even tighter.

Silary, Im a BMI35.5 or more now and I weigh 194 Im considered a lower bmi and I short 5"2 , I wish I was 5"5 like Audree, Im waiting on settlement which should be in a couple of months then Im on my way! yaa! Im following Audree, She reminds me of ME! Igot the cothes with the price tags and the visions, you name it ive tried it. Im not getting rid of my clothes yet but I cant wait. I cant wait to see what Audree has lost,this website is so addictable, becuse it is real people with real results! I get tired of the fake before and after I wanna see real ones. Every body on here are doing great. Audree good job!

Thanks MiniPearl!!

I will make sure I post pics when I show some weight loss. I have also taken my measurements and post what I eat daily on my journal.

I even started cleaning my closet, only keeping the really nice thinner clothes, since I am sure I am going to go shopping once none of my clothes fit me!!! Dr. Ortiz told me to get ready to burn ALL of my clothes!!! I would rather donate them though.

I love this group and spend a lot of time here. I tell my husband it is my therapy.

Audree

Silry,

I also started at a BMI of 39.7 and now am around a BMI of 35. Yes, you are a lower BMI patient.

As for surgery, I arrived on a Wednesday and had surgery on a Thursday. I could have departed on Friday -- but the hotel stay was part of the cost, so I stayed another night until Saturday before returning home. I am within driving distance of my surgeon. I could have easily gone home the day after my surgery. However, if I was flying home -- I think I'd stay the extra day to make sure I had no complications before getting on an airplane to go home.

Good luck with getting your surgery set up. I'm really happy I did this for me.

Kathy

Where do you live?? I live in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I want to get a few of us together so we can meet up for fills and stuff!!!