Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fast Food Junkie

Season's Greetings!

I am a fast food junkie: I cannot eat normal foods...because I am constantly on the go, I am grabbing things from the dollar menu at McDonald's, Taco Bell, you name it. My favorite is a filet o fish from Mickey Ds...well, I ate one today - IN THE LINE AT JACK IN THE BOX, waiting for more food! Needless to say I puked it up. I know I am destroying my body, but has anyone battled this issue?

Need a hug and words of support!!

I'm sure you already know what you need to do to fix this problem, but I am always on the go also, well at least I was until I moved here. I would keep a small cooler in the car and pack Snacks and a sandwhich, I also carried an energy bar and i ate half of it for a chocolate fix. If I did eat fast food, I got a happy meal. I wasn't perfect all the time obviously or I wouldn't be here, but eating out was very expensive, think of all the money you would save if you didn't eat out everyday. Add it up, it's crazy.

My favorite is a filet o fish from Mickey Ds...well, I ate one today - IN THE LINE AT JACK IN THE BOX, waiting for more food!

I'm curious as to why you felt the need to visit two fast food restaurants in the course of one meal. Most of us couldn't eat one sandwich, let alone a sandwich and "more food".

Season's Greetings!

I am a fast food junkie: I cannot eat normal foods...because I am constantly on the go, I am grabbing things from the dollar menu at McDonald's, Taco Bell, you name it. My favorite is a filet o fish from Mickey Ds...well, I ate one today - IN THE LINE AT JACK IN THE BOX, waiting for more food! Needless to say I puked it up. I know I am destroying my body, but has anyone battled this issue?

Need a hug and words of support!!

Hugs :) !

And a kick in the butt! First off, you might need a fill. I know if I could even eat a whole filet o fish, I wouldn't want anything else for a while. And you have to start making better decisions, and planning ahead. Find foods that you can take with you, even beef Jerky, tuna, fruit, veggies(like those little carrots).

chicken of the Sea Salmon Cups.... say it with me now.... Salmon is better than a burger.....

((Hugs))

I know that Quarter Pounder with cheese is pure ambrosia - but I just don't go there anymore. Reduced fat wheat thins and Salmon cups. lunch on the go.

Or an Atkins Protein shake....

Seriously - step away from the fast food line.

:]

I didn't notice about your fills but with a good fill and good restriction I couldn't eat fast food if my life depended on it. I've tried several times to eat a couple of my granddaughter's french fries and I get stuck every single time. Maybe you need another fill.

I would go for another fill and wake up 30min earlier in the day to make a takeaway lunch...to take with you hehehe!

You'll get there!

:) becky

I wouldnt call me a "fast food" junkie since I'd really very very rarely choose to eat McDonalds but the eat on the go thing - disorganisation and not having appropriate food to hand is my biggest downfall, and it affects what I feed the kids too. So many mornings there's nothing for them to take for their playlunch at school and we have to stop at the Quix for junkfood, costs a fortune, is terrible for them.

I have to be REALLY strict with myself and MAKE myself go to the supermarket, even its midnight so that I am not doing that last minute thing.

Can you keep a cooler in your car so you can take fruit, yogurt or a sandwich, a Protein bar, cans of tuna, whatever it takes. And just put the freezer blocks in your freezer to keep it cold.

I have some great containers that have an ice ring that you freeze and a separate part to hold the salad dressing till you need it, one that's compartmentalised for dip, vege sticks and crackers that also has an ice ring, even a shake container that holds Water and powder separately till you're ready to mix.

There really is no need to be eating crap if you can just force yourself to make the effort to be organised. Its not that I give in willpower wise and eat crap, in fact these days I'd simply not eat instead, what I find way way harder is actually being organised.

The best way to combat this addiction is to make the transition into realizing that fast food is extraordinarily disgusting, and barely even food at all.

I recommend reading Fast Food Nation, so you can realize how much feces is in the food, for starters.

Thinking about the E.coli outbreak at Taco Bell (probably due to the fact that the food has poop in it) is another great thing to think about.

Going through the drive-through, you can take note of the gross bitter "old oil" smell too.

If you focus in on the actual real taste of the food, you will realize it tastes truly horrible after the first few chews. Once you really focus on this, you will be amazed at how bad it really tastes.

Think about the pain in your esophogus it causes because it's not really food in the first place, and won't go down most of the time. (If it goes down well you probably need a fill).

Look in the fast food places dumpsters, and see the gross filth they throw away.

Prior to surgery, I ate McDonald's at least three times a week, and would do anything for a Burger King chicken sandwich.

After surgery, it just hurt to eat any fast food, and I slowly came to all of the realizations above. Now, I stay far, far away and the mere thought grosses me out tremendously.

If you can make this transition, you will be cured forever.

Fast food is the devil. I met with my dietician a week ago and she said it is a complete no no. That being said I do like the grilled caesar chicken salad at McDonalds. I always ask for the balsamic light vinegar dressing. Try to get back to good eating habits. Grab a 6" sub from subway, no mayo, no cheese. That is a healthy choice.

Eating out occasionally isn't going to hurt you. Arby's is a good choice, in my opinion. Jack in the Box has a chicken fajita pita with only 9 grams of fat (even a little less if you don't eat the actual pita bread). But most of the time, you need to make time for yourself and pack something to take with you.

I am a commuter, so I totally understand how it's easier to eat on the go.

Here are some things that work for me:

First, watch SuperSize Me (again if you've already seen it). It's disgusting and will turn you off to eating fast food. If you're having cravings for fast food, you need to cut your carbs and add more Protein to your diet. I used to eat FF 5X a week or more. It's a hard habit to kick. But Protein does the trick.

Like someone else said, I have to make myself go to the grocery store on the weekend. No excuses allowed.

I make a homemade cocoa for the road every morning. You can buy coffee-to-go cups at the grocery store for a couple of bucks. They're disposable and have sippy lids (like Starbucks). You can fit almost a cup and a half of milk in one of those cups. Add a little unsweetened cocoa and enough Sweet and Low to make it good. I use 4 packets. This, depending on your brand of milk, has anywhere between 12-16 grams of protein. Generally this fills me up for a couple of hours. I get up at 6, but I never eat Breakfast until about 10 because of the cocoa.

Someone on another thread mentioned some scrambled egg patties they sell in the frozen section. You could try those for Breakfast with a little cheese if you have access to a microwave. If not, just pack some lunch meat, cheese and a whole-grain WASA cracker. TAKE THE TIME to bag it up the night before so you just grab-and-go in the morning. Preparation is the key here.

Someone above mentioned salmon cups and wheat thins, which is also a great option. They sell tuna cups as well.

Lots of times, I make divide dinner leftovers up into small containers to take to work with me. Take the time to roast a turkey breast on a Sunday...add about a tablesppon of stuffing and a little cranberry...and wah-lah...you've got a better lunch than almost anyone else in your office. Those rotissaire chickens at the deli are yummy, too, if you don't want to roast a turkey.

Try substituting lunch with a protein-packed smoothie from smoothie King. I think TCBY makes some, too, if you ask.

The bottom line is that where there is a will, there is a way. You have to decide for yourself how successful you're going to be in this venture.

If you want maximum results, make the changes you need to make. You just have to put yourself FIRST.

I can't even eat anything from a fast food resturant on the go. anything with bread gets stuck no matter how much I chew it or how small the bite. anything fried gets stuck. fast food is out of the question for me at this point (thank God!)

Get another fill as soon as possible. It'll start getting stuck and you'll be forced to make the better choices! Get drinkable/sippable yogurt to take with you.

My band is just not that forgiving. I can be on the go all day long and it will not let me eat fast foods. I will get stuck no matter how small a bite and I don't care how much I chew. I have tried it and ended up puking on the side of the road. I'm not too tight either. If I'm eating foods I cook I have no problem. So, I'm use to it now and I'll get me a Water and just do the best I can until I can get to some better food.< /p>

I am a side of the road puker too!! I am glad to know that some of us falter, but we keep picking ourselves back up and dusting each other off.

I do not feel as though my restriction was tight enough and now I do.

I might need another one, but I know now what I need to do. Thank you for everyone's positivity.