Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Optifast diet decreasing will power

Hi guys, I've done a full week of the strict intense phase Optifast diet, lost 4 kilos in that week which is great but I'm soo moody and no energy. Calories are about 600 per day. I can feel I'm close to breaking diet. What did u guys do? Did any of you fail from feeling like crap? How long til my energy start getting back to normal?

Don't despair! It take a while to get your head around it. Just take it one meal at a time. Be sure to get in your veggies that you are allowed on the intense phase. Be sure to try all the Optifast products. I particularly liked the puddings. I had 2 different times when I was on Optifast. Just remember it is a means to an end. Once I had the surgery I have never "had" to use Optifast again. I do keep it on hand to throw in my purse in case of emergency (get caught out without a suitable meal) or the need for a quick fix. Hope you can rally a little and stay the course!

Don't despair! It take a while to get your head around it. Just take it one meal at a time. Be sure to get in your veggies that you are allowed on the intense phase. Be sure to try all the Optifast products. I particularly liked the puddings. I had 2 different times when I was on Optifast. Just remember it is a means to an end. Once I had the surgery I have never "had" to use Optifast again. I do keep it on hand to throw in my purse in case of emergency (get caught out without a suitable meal) or the need for a quick fix. Hope you can rally a little and stay the course!

Thank u, I think was just a bad day, I will do this. Will power, but is hard

Miso Soup with added veges got me through.

To not be hungry, head-achy and grumpy got to stay in ketosis which is v rigid adherence to it. I'm done it with as little "cheating" as low fat milk in tea and coffee and found it tough, but cutting out the milk has made it much easier... Because (I think) I was properly in ketosis. Maybe get some ketone strips from the pharmacy and use those to check your urine for signs of ketosis. I can tell because my urine has a distinct musty smell when I'm in ketosis.

Post op you can have milk, Soup, lattes etc. Much nicer than pre-op!

Miso Soup with added veges got me through.

Thanks Louise I did see miso soup on the list but in all honesty I've never had it and wasn't sure if it was tin or dry soup or homemade. Need to look into that

To not be hungry' date=' head-achy and grumpy got to stay in ketosis which is v rigid adherence to it. I'm done it with as little "cheating" as low fat milk in tea and coffee and found it tough, but cutting out the milk has made it much easier... Because (I think) I was properly in ketosis. Maybe get some ketone strips from the pharmacy and use those to check your urine for signs of ketosis. I can tell because my urine has a distinct musty smell when I'm in ketosis.

Post op you can have milk, Soup, lattes etc. Much nicer than pre-op![/quote']

Hey Susan, I've been super super vigilant and yet still dealing with moodiness and hunger. Need to get me some of those strips I think (never knew bout them), but think I have been in it with loosing 4 kilo and yes urine smells stronger but still struggling. I've got small frozen homemade soup and my bullet machine for milkshakes etc, I think that will be so much easier

Thanks Louise I did see miso Soup on the list but in all honesty I've never had it and wasn't sure if it was tin or dry soup or homemade. Need to look into that

Miso soup is Japanese and if you have not had it you may find it a bit unusual on the first try! Most sushi places sell a cup of miso soup for about $2. It is pretty much just a soy broth with seaweed :-) sounds awful but it is really good. You can buy packets of dried soup or packets of condensed soup at most supermarkets here. Just add hot Water. I would cook up a cup of veges and add to a cup of miso when on my pre OP Optifast diet. It saved me.

mmmmm....Optifast...or I prefer calling it Optifamine. I did not perform preop, but this was one of my many yoyo diets I did a couple times for several months each. Lost 85 lbs in 3 months the first time...and 72 the second time. Put it all back and then some. It's really an uber restrictive diet where you feel like crap for the first 3 weeks or so.....but since you are only doing it as a preop prep I would suggest adding soft consistency foods to augment things. Such as yogurt, eggs, pudding, etc.....any of the things you will be eating postop on the soft diet. You're not going to hurt anything by doing this....just watch your portions. Best of luck.

mmmmm....Optifast...or I prefer calling it Optifamine. I did not perform preop' date=' but this was one of my many yoyo diets I did a couple times for several months each. Lost 85 lbs in 3 months the first time...and 72 the second time. Put it all back and then some. It's really an uber restrictive diet where you feel like crap for the first 3 weeks or so.....but since you are only doing it as a preop prep I would suggest adding soft consistency foods to augment things. Such as yogurt, eggs, pudding, etc.....any of the things you will be eating postop on the soft diet. You're not going to hurt anything by doing this....just watch your portions. Best of luck.[/quote']

Hey Mathew,

Thanks for your support, I did well. I was intolerant to something in the Optifast ingrediance. I was ok with Breakfast and lunch but tea always pushed the scale too far and my tummy went nuts. Anyway Dietition said best to replace tea with a different brand of Meal Replacement bar or have lean trimmed red meat (under 100 grms) with green veg your allowed on Optifast - so I went with that.

I lost 7 kilos in 4 weeks. Then had surgery and on day 5 post op. just a tip for people don't weigh yourself in the first week, I thought yesterday when I got home from hostpital that I might weigh myself now I haven't eaten for four days and they took 80% of my stomach so I've got to have lost something, NOPE lol, I put on 2 kilos. Luckily I'm not down cause that would be a slap in the face lol but at this stage I'm still in a rational state of mind and realise it will be swollen organs and gas build up ????