Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does it feel to be full?

Ok, I'm just starting really mushy purées or full liquids is more like it, and I was wondering how it feels to feel full. I asked my lovely coordinator earlier and she had a neat description.

I know it will feel different and I'm not about to push it since I'm only measuring 2oz per meal and leaving the rest to liquids. I'm just curious how you would describe the "full feeling" 6 weeks out or longer.....

For me, once I was on solids, it was pretty much the same full feeling I got post op--it just happens a lot more quickly. There's definitely no mistaking it....

Not good. You want to try not to reach full at all. Just eat until you start to feel like you might be getting full.

i always feel really nauseated when i eat that last bite when i know im full. So for the most part- i measure my food. I can eat 5 ounces total for a meal. I eat it slow and then that is it.

For me, it's almost a feeling of pressure right above my chest. It feels different than the "full" feeling before surgery.

I think it feels different than before this surgery too. It feels like the last bite I just took may squeeze itself back up. Not a throwing up kind of sensation but more of a feeling of knowing exactly where the food is resting and the one more bite is going to make it overflow.

Sometimes I have what I think is the last bite I'm going to take and have to spit it out because it becomes repulsive mid-chew.

I guess its different for everyone but you will definitely know when you've had enough.

Oddly, I am not able to eat more food the further out I get. The restriction seems to increase all the time. I'm still a slow loser but it is certainly not because I eat a lot. I'm just slow. It's all good though.

Not good. You want to try not to reach full at all. Just eat until you start to feel like you might be getting full.

Yes, to clarify, it's that--satiated but not just-pushed-back-from-the-Thanksgiving-table kind of full. It's pretty difficult to describe until you feel it, and I think it's different for everyone--but for me it is the same "satisfied" feeling I had when eating a meal pre-op. I think the major difference is that one bite too many can make you feel "full" (which always means uncomfortable), where pre-op, that wasn't always the case. It only takes once or twice of one bite too many for you not to do it again, because it's not a good feeling. I still measure my food and almost always eat out of the same dishes--but some days that satisfied/full feeling comes sooner than others, so I'll stop eating before I've finished my small portion.

Agree - the one bite too many is a big mistake. It's not like before surgery when you ate too much and were simply too full. Now, the one bite too many means complete misery for hours.

It's a hard adjustment to make but once you have been completely miserable for hours a couple of times you learn to stop putting more in your mouth.

I went with the whole family yesterday to see Ironman 3. I bought my grandson a Slurpee and took the small drink that came with his KidsPack. I got a small popcorn. I ate half the popcorn in about an hour and took a few sips from the drink. I was stuffed. I wanted more popcorn ( :mellow: . ) but knew if I ate another bite I would be miserable. Its quite a learning experience :mellow:

For me my new full is feeling satisfied. I no longer feel empty. If I take one bite too many I can feel it almost in the back of my throat. Almost like it is stuck there and if I were to burp it would come back up. I try not to get to that point... But sometimes my eyes and my mind deceive me. That's why I measure. I know at 2.5 months out a 1/3 of a cup of dense Protein will get me to the feeling ob being satisfied, but not miserable.

I was lumping satiated/full together and thanking of the eating too much as stuffed.

I think I got it yesterday. I was eating some ricotta and I measured out 2oz. Didn't even come close. I just felt like I didn't want to eat anymore, and honestly I rarely felt that preop. I did not push it :)