Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hot weather running

I want to do some running today outside where temperatures will be between 80-90f. Here in Seattle area we are not used to hot weather so early in the year. A thermal low is going to settle in for a few days keeping the mercury up in the 80s.

My course is 8 miles of flat running on a local popular trail called the centennial trail. This trail is very well maintained, paved and wide. I usually walk on it for miles and miles, but want to run on it for my 1/2 training.

The literature says while running in hot weather is possible, it put a lot of strain on the internal systems. Oxygen and nutrients are directed away from the muscles causing them to slow down. And your core body temperature rises fast.

I also need to research a hydration belt so I can more easily run with wanted and refueling supplementation or energy squares. What kind of hydration belts has been working for you?

How do you guys run in hot weather? What do you carry with you for hydration and refueling?

Fiddleman, I am from South Texas and we have short-wearing heat waves in winter! I am currently up to a 3 mile run; however, I used to run a 7 mile course. One thing I learned early on as a young athlete was not to run in the sun! I would run at the butt-crack of dawn (please excuse the expression), or at sunset. I've never used a hydration belt, but I'm sure they would have helped when I HAD to run in the hot sun. Of course, I am not sleeved yet--so considering the minimum amounts of liquid that can be consumed at one time, I am interested in hearing about these belts.

Thanks for the warning about not running in the sun. Unfortunately, I missed running before sunrise today.

I've only run in the sun once where temperature was 95 and humidity was near 100% when in Washington DC as a high schooler on some school trip. I remember it being grueling even though I was in shape and on the cross country team. It was only about 3 miles, but seemed like so much more in the hot weather. Maybe not a fair comparison to my current running ambitions, but it is all I have to compare with in my own memory banks.

I found this website for hydration belts:

WWW.fuelbelt.com

It looks like a good option and this company has been a pioneer in these types of products for marathons and triathlons.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the PacNW. You folks aren't used to doing anything in the heat :). Being a good ol son of the South, where we live in the heat most of the year, I can say hydration will be very key. I've never used a hydration belt, but I do try to super hydrate the day before any long runs or races if I know it is going to be hot. I also try to avoid running in the hottest parts of the day. I used to get up around 6:00a and do a run in the middle of the summer, there's still a fair amount of moisture in the air and it makes for a good runtime. Also try to get some sodium in before running. Gatorade is good or Powerade zero. I try to stay away from it afterward and drink only Water. Maybe and hour or so after the fact I'll sip some gatorade, but doing so right after a long run, gives me the hurls.

Thanks. I know we are weather complainers ( or is that weather babies) up here in Seattle. We cannot have it over 72 and we cannot drive in even an inch of snow. Lol. 60-70 is perfect.

Here is the route I am thinking of working towards:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/snohomish-wa/centennial-trail-starting-at-snohomish-t-route-18924616

It is about 20 miles. I really like MapMyRun for the sharing capabilities. It is easy to go find a route that someone has already done given a criteria like length, elevation gain, location, etc.

Hey Fiddle....I have 2 Nathan hydration belts. One holds 1 22oz bottle, the other holds 2. And if I'm going to be on a really long trail run, where there is no possibility of finding a convenience store or Water fountain, I wear my Camelbak Marathoner hydration vest. My wife hates the belts but I don't mind them at all. After a couple of runs I got so used to them I forget I have one on. Plus I can put my phone, key and any food/gels I want to carry in there.

Other than that, I agree with everyone else. Early morning or late evening. I drink a 64oz bottle of Water (with propel) the hour before the run to hydrate myself. I have gone as far as 10 miles on one bottle in shady areas. But in the wide open sun, I need 1 bottle for every 5-6 miles when it's over 80.

Oh yeah...wear a lite, cool hat.

I run with an amphipod hydration belt. It holds two 16 oz bottles and it has a decent sized zipper pouch for my chews. Hydrate before and either take some goo or gels with u. My friend (who is not sleeved fills both her bottles with g2 and she doesn't do chews). I've run 15 miles + in 80 degree weather. I highly recommend early morning or late eve (dark) if possible.

Well, I did it. However, instead of attempting this run in direct sunlight of 85 I did it on my treadmill inside. I did not want to commit to the possibility of being dehydrated a long ways out from the started point. It may have been 85 f or higher in my little room where I work out though. I decided to try the Galloway method that BTB has been teaching us and walked 2 minutes for every 30 minutes run. I hydrated during these walks. My time was about a 10 minute mile because of the heat. Afterwards I refueled with an amrap bar and lots of Water. I drank about 70 oz water up to an hour before the run. The first 10 miles felt like hot yoga where the sweat was dripping. Then it stopped almost completely. The last 5 miles was interesting because my body "got it." Each stride felt connected with my upper body and my arms nicely counter balanced the shifting weight. It felt really smooth and like I could keep going. All in all, I think Galloway method really helped in order to feel good throughout the whole run and at the end. I am also practicing in this heat for when I run in Hawaii next week. Average temperature will be 75 there.

So you ran 15 miles? Awesome!

Definitely get you some kind of hydration belt before you go to Hawaii. Or just one of those handhelds like this that have a strap and a pouch for keys/money/gels.

post-17584-13813665379559_thumb.jpg

So you ran 15 miles? Awesome!

Definitely get you some kind of hydration belt before you go to Hawaii. Or just one of those handhelds like this that have a strap and a pouch for keys/money/gels.

Thanks for the suggestions!

How about a fan a couch and ice tea instead of all that running.

I will certainly spend my share of time living the good life next to the pool, but fitness is something I do every day now. To miss it would make my day feel incomplete. Also it just makes me feel better after a good workout. Mr 6 pack is starting to come out of hiding.

Well' date=' I did it. However, instead of attempting this run in direct sunlight of 85 I did it on my treadmill inside. I did not want to commit to the possibility of being dehydrated a long ways out from the started point. It may have been 85 f or higher in my little room where I work out though. I decided to try the Galloway method that BTB has been teaching us and walked 2 minutes for every 30 minutes run. I hydrated during these walks. My time was about a 10 minute mile because of the heat. Afterwards I refueled with an amrap bar and lots of Water. I drank about 70 oz Water up to an hour before the run. The first 10 miles felt like hot yoga where the sweat was dripping. Then it stopped almost completely. The last 5 miles was interesting because my body "got it." Each stride felt connected with my upper body and my arms nicely counter balanced the shifting weight. It felt really smooth and like I could keep going. All in all, I think Galloway method really helped in order to feel good throughout the whole run and at the end. I am also practicing in this heat for when I run in Hawaii next week. Average temperature will be 75 there.[/quote']

Hey! Wtg on the 15 miles!! I'm glad everything worked out. Hawaii??!? I'm jealous... Have a great trip!

Thanks, I am really looking forward to it!!

We don't know anything about the heat here in Las Vegas, Fiddleman. :) I have a Fuel Belt with 4 bottles that I use for runs up to 8 miles and then use my Camelback hydration backpack for everything else over 8. If I run in the late afternoon when it's really hot, I limit my runs to no more 4 miles. Problem is that even my 4:30 am runs can be at 85 degrees so there are times when I have no choice but to go to the treadmill.