Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My family is not very supportive. They all say you dont need surgery just diet and a good workout plan.....ENOUGH! I have done that for years im ready for a tool that will aid me to reach my long term goals.....Im just hurt that they are not encouraging me....so looks like i will be going alone when i set a date....although im sure my mom will go anyway...was you family supportive??

I haven't told my family and probably won't. I did let one of my sisters know and she was the one who went with me on surgery day. She was super supportive. No one else in the world knows aside from the medical staff. I found it to be easier that way.

Of my five sibs, only one brother knows. If my parents were still alive, they would have been worried and resistant at first, but I know they both would have been supportive, since my doctors recommended it. My other sibs probably would be okay with it, but I don't want the "she took the easy way out" attitude.

Since your family already knows, I recommend you stay strong in your resolve that YOU, unlike most of the overweight people around you, chose an appetite suppressant THAT ACTUALLY WORKS and never stops working. Personally, I believe that choosing a product with close to 100% success rate over a product with less than 20% success rate is a pretty SMART choice. Don't you think? Let the naysayers be. And be an example to them. I bet they will have more respect and admiration for you when they see how much better you feel and how much happier you are.

My thin brother asked why I didn't just diet and exercise. Oh geez, never thought of that.

They came around and my mom who was my support person was super impressed with TJ and Florence/Oasis after retiring as a RN after almost 30 years in the states. She was super impressed with me having my surgeon's cell number. That just doesn't happen in our health care system lol!

Thanks squeaky that really was an awsome response.....another thing i hate is that they tell me well you know you still have to eat healthy and work out....DUH! I just get so irritated with their response....i felt bad because i told my mom that if i dont do this now then i will be just like her at 55 still trying to every diet in the book and still big amd uncomfortable....but its true

Only my husband and kids know about my surgery. My mom is super critical and would not be supportive at all. My husband is my greatest supporter, he has seen me struggle with my weight for twenty years. I didn't want to talk to my friends about it.

I'm so glad I am not alone in this boat. No one knows but my husband. My family would literally freak out. I don't know if I will ever tell them. I just can't wait to get this journey to a new me started. I just hope I can do it!

My family is not very supportive. They all say you dont need surgery just diet and a good workout plan.....ENOUGH! I have done that for years im ready for a tool that will aid me to reach my long term goals.....Im just hurt that they are not encouraging me....so looks like i will be going alone when i set a date....although im sure my mom will go anyway...was you family supportive??

My wife nagged encouraged me to do it, my daughter supports me but doesn't want me to have it, a close friend says it's barbaric (but she still supports me), and everyone else that knows has mostly been supportive.

In reading people's stories on here, I quickly noticed a common theme: "I've been struggling with weight all of my life" is the the way most of them begin. I'm no different.

I started my journey in January of this year. I've lost 34 pounds to date. I know I've got a workout plan and nutrition knowledge that obviously works. Why do I still want surgery? Because I've done this before SEVERAL times and each time I end up gaining it all back and then some. I'm tired of it.

My wife nagged encouraged me to do it' date=' my daughter supports me but doesn't want me to have it, a close friend says it's barbaric (but she still supports me), and everyone else that knows has mostly been supportive.

In reading people's stories on here, I quickly noticed a common theme: "I've been struggling with weight all of my life" is the the way most of them begin. I'm no different.

I started my journey in January of this year. I've lost 34 pounds to date. I know I've got a workout plan and nutrition knowledge that obviously works. Why do I still want surgery? Because I've done this before SEVERAL times and each time I end up gaining it all back and then some. I'm tired of it.[/quote']

im tires too...i dont want to be like my mom 55 and still trying all the new diets...I told my best friend yes diet and exercise work no doubt but it doesnt controll the fact that i am still hungry after eating a healthy portion of food. I may drop some pounds but like everyone in the forum has been through it comes back plus 10

My brother and sister-in-law are visiting for a couple of days. My brother has struggled with his weight just like I have. He noticed that I've lost weight and asked me what I was doing. I was just about to tell him what a wonderful decision I had made to get the sleeve and that this would help him with his weight issues as well. He suffers from a bad back which we know is linked to his weight. Just as I was about to let it go, my sister-in-law goes on a rant about how weight-loss surgery is stupid and causes cancer. Hmmm... okay. So I will keep my secret a little bit longer. This is the very reason why I've decided not to tell anyone. I know my brother would be supportive and would even consider doing this himself. I'll wait for the right time, when we are alone, and will give him the good news.