Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, don't laugh. I'm going to train for a figure competition. I know this is somewhat "bodybuilding lite", but when I look at women bodybuilders I want to build muscle but maintain femininity and this seems like a good solution.

So, I have started training specifically for that purpose and am also changing my diet. First, I am doing a phase of 20% fat, 20% Protein, and 60% carbs. I plan on 1500 calories per day and then will see what happens with my body composition. I don't want to start too high with calories and know that I can maintain on 1500 with exercise.

It is shocking to try to go so high on carbs - I'm sitting here drinking a shake of yogurt, skim milk, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup blueberries, and two cups spinach just to try to get my carbs higher. To drink that and not add Protein powder seems insane! I know that as time goes on my carbs will lower by percentage, but this is the plan for the beginning.

I was thinking of using Beverly UMP Protein Powder for the day to day. Does anyone have an opinion either way about their products or this powder specifically?

Also, any advice about supplements? I don't like taking my basic Vitamins, but was told to get better quality Vitamins than my current gummy vitamins and to get some Omega 3-6-9. Is there anything else that is of major importance?

I am currently pretty fit, 5'6" tall, today I am 126 lbs although sometimes up or down as much as 2 lbs... I have insufficient muscle, that is the main problem, and also insufficient flexibility. I also started attending yoga as an add on.

I am giving myself a year to train. I figure I'm not training to beat the other women in those tiny little suits, I'm training to show how far I have come and how far I can push myself.

It has been one year since my sleeve and I needed a new goal - a new motivation to maintain both healthy eating and a good exercise program. Also, I think I may be happier with my body if I gain muscle, flexibility and a higher level of fitness.

I know there are bodybuilders who are sleeved - I'd love advice!

LOVE reading this.

I have thought alot about doing physique again.

Do you ever read Oxygen? There are a couple of the bodybuilder/fitness buffs I follow and want to follow their plans.

My personal trainer had me on a 51% Protein, 31% carb and 18% fat ratio. I was seeing amazing results until I got pneumonia and my lapband failed

I would decrease your carb ratio and increase your protein...but that is just based on what I was personally seeing in my stats.

Yoga is fantastic for "leaning" out your muscle mass.

It will be fun to read how you progress!

LOVE reading this.

I have thought alot about doing physique again.

Do you ever read Oxygen? There are a couple of the bodybuilder/fitness buffs I follow and want to follow their plans.

My personal trainer had me on a 51% protein' date=' 31% carb and 18% fat ratio. I was seeing amazing results until I got pneumonia and my lapband failed

I would decrease your carb ratio and increase your Protein...but that is just based on what I was personally seeing in my stats.

Yoga is fantastic for "leaning" out your muscle mass.

It will be fun to read how you progress![/quote']

Thanks for the tip - I will look at Oxygen. I'm super curious and am so happy to have any suggestions.

My trainer is planning this ratio of 20% Fat, 20% Protein and 60% carbs just at the beginning. And then I will still do 20% fat but 40 % protein and 40 % carbs in the next phase. It is hard because I am pretty sure that with my history of obesity I will need to train on fewer calories, and perhaps even the ratios will need to be different.

I haven't built muscle easily ever - especially when I was only eating 600-800 calories per day with very, very few carbs. I am so curious to see what changing my nutrition profile will do. Plus, we have always been working on keeping my weight low as the highest priority, and now I will be trying to add muscle weight and bulk for the first time in my life. It's going to be interesting!

I will try this higher carb approach for a short time - but keeping in mind what you have said. I am going to be more than happy to adjust to higher protein!

Thank you so much for the words of wisdom from a more experienced perspective!

Congrats on committing to this new goal! I think that is amazing! I'm about your height, do you happen to mind sharing a before and after photo? I haven't been sleeved yet and I have been trying to find sleevers with similar beginning stats to mine. Your beginning stats are very close to mine. Are you small or medium framed?

Anyway, I understand if you're reserved about posting pics, but if you can I would really appreciate it...thanks!

Great idea! I was just reading this today if you'd like to look: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

There are lots of forums on MFP including: "eat more to weigh less" and "in place of a road map." Interesting reads and advice from people maintaining at TDEE and mostly strength training.

Congrats on committing to this new goal! I think that is amazing! I'm about your height' date=' do you happen to mind sharing a before and after photo? I haven't been sleeved yet and I have been trying to find sleevers with similar beginning stats to mine. Your beginning stats are very close to mine. Are you small or medium framed?

Anyway, I understand if you're reserved about posting pics, but if you can I would really appreciate it...thanks![/quote']

The before is my surgery date, May 10, 2012. The after is a month or so ago - my weight is the same today.

post-30041-13813665283457_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip - I will look at Oxygen. I'm super curious and am so happy to have any suggestions.

My trainer is planning this ratio of 20% Fat, 20% Protein and 60% carbs just at the beginning. And then I will still do 20% fat but 40 % Protein and 40 % carbs in the next phase. It is hard because I am pretty sure that with my history of obesity I will need to train on fewer calories, and perhaps even the ratios will need to be different.

I haven't built muscle easily ever - especially when I was only eating 600-800 calories per day with very, very few carbs. I am so curious to see what changing my nutrition profile will do. Plus, we have always been working on keeping my weight low as the highest priority, and now I will be trying to add muscle weight and bulk for the first time in my life. It's going to be interesting!

I will try this higher carb approach for a short time - but keeping in mind what you have said. I am going to be more than happy to adjust to higher protein!

Thank you so much for the words of wisdom from a more experienced perspective!

you may also find that if you are doing such low protein, watch for signs such as feeling "foggy" and cranky. It will mean you need to increase your protein intake.

When you are building lean muscle mass protein is super important!

My trainer always had me do ALL of my carbs by 2:00 PM, so they would power me through the remainder of the day and burn off.

here is a good article:

http://www.oxygenmag.com/Health/Articles/Power-Packed-Protein.aspx

you look amazing!! it might only take you up to 3 months to lean yourself out!

I am now even more excited to get started :)

I get sleeved next Friday and I cannot wait. I would do it tomorrow if I could

The before is my surgery date, May 10, 2012. The after is a month or so ago - my weight is the same today.

WOW!!!! You look AAAAMAZING!!!! Congrats to you! Thank you! I wish you the very best on your new venture!!!

Also, a highly reviewed book that many follow with great success is The New Rules of Lifting for Women

You need to get ahold of Aroundhky. Of all the people on this forum, I've yet to see anyone put on muscle like him. Very helpful guy as well. I'm sure he can give you some great tips. I can't but I salute your decision and commitment and I know you're going to rock one of those tiny little suits someday soon.

Ok, here is my starting photo. I will hope that with a lot of hard work and attention to diet I can put on sufficient muscle mass to not make a complete and total fool of myself. One year ago I had a before picture, and then I lost the weight. This is my new before picture, before I gain the muscle.

post-30041-13813665307202_thumb.jpg

Ok' date=' here is my starting photo. I will hope that with a lot of hard work and attention to diet I can put on sufficient muscle mass to not make a complete and total fool of myself. One year ago I had a before picture, and then I lost the weight. This is my new before picture, before I gain the muscle.

[/quote']

You look amazing & oh so beautiful! So happy for you & glad to support you thru this work! :)

Kristie

'Its All New'......I'll get back to you soon on the message and I'm really glad you've decided to do this, yet also know and understand about moderation (not doing anything too obsessive) and understanding that staying who you are and being feminine is really nice to hear! So many people in that industry take drastic and unhealthy steps (hormones, over-tanning, etc). I wouldn't call myself a bodybuilder and Ive never competed, but I have lifted a lot with my physique being one of the many benefits I get from lifting.

I would advise you first to have a reasonable expectation and approach toward adding lean muscle, and with your 1 year goal, I think you already have a good grasp on that. Muscle, especially for women, is added to the body at a very slow rate, much slower than adding the other type of body mass......fat. I speak from experience on that one. :). But with the right workout, proper nutrition and patience, it's possible. Again, I'll reply soon to your message and will tell what I know and what works for me. 'I'm not a personal trainer....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night'. :D

You need to get ahold of Aroundhky. Of all the people on this forum, I've yet to see anyone put on muscle like him. Very helpful guy as well. I'm sure he can give you some great tips. I can't but I salute your decision and commitment and I know you're going to rock one of those tiny little suits someday soon.

Thanks "Butter"! You seem to be doing pretty darn well yourself....keep up the good work man!