Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What exercises did you start/how soon after sleeve?

hello all! I'm hoping some of you can tell me what type of exercises and how soon after being sleeved you started? I'm really wanting to do a 180 in my life and live it happier and healthier with a goal of running marathons and triathlons (did 1/2 marathon last year but very very slowly..lol)

I started walking and very light weights (2 lbs) a couple of days after surgery. I was almost completely unable to walk pre-op, so I literally walked up and down my hallway in my apartment until I felt ready to tackle the great outdoors. About 3 weeks post-op I walked around the lake in my apartment complex and felt like Rocky! :) Start slow and build up and you'll be running a 5k, then a marathon, in no time! :)

I only walk, but it was over a month before I could do any serious walking. My knees and feet hurt all the time. I started by parking at the far end of the lot at work, Wal-Mart or the grocery store to make me walk farther. Then I set a goal of making 4 laps around the inside of my office several times a day. I'm on month 5 now, and walk between 3 and 7 miles a day - depending on how much I hurt. I bought a cheap pedometer and use that to gauge my distance.

About 3 weeks post-op I walked around the lake in my apartment complex and felt like Rocky! :) Start slow and build up and you'll be running a 5k' date=' then a marathon, in no time! :)[/quote']

That's funny, Lissa. There is a pedestrian only overpass that is on my old morning running route. Every time that I would get to the top I'd do a Rocky celebration. It even caught on with my running buddies. I find myself lifting my arms a la Rocky style whenever I conquer a hill or a pedestrian overpass! Lol!

I started with a recumbent bike pre surgery. Post surgery I walked. I started slowly and built my way up to where I am now.

I did light weights and lots of walking starting 2 weeks after surgery.

I always suggest walk at home DVDs worn Leslie Sansone and light weights. Pm me for details if you'd like. :)

I was sleeved on a Tuesday and was back in the gym on the following Monday. I mainly walked on the treadmill for a couple of weeks until I got the staples out, then I moved on from there. I lift (although not a lot) and run, do the elliptical and the arc trainer for cardio. The sooner you get a good exercise routine going, the better you will feel.

I started walking the day of surgery, increased the distance and pace slowly each day for the next 2-3 weeks. Then I went to the gym and did extremely light lifts and continued with cardio once or twice a week. After about 2-4 weeks of gradually building up those lifts (roughly 6-7 weeks post op), I started lifting pretty heavy and doing fairly intense cardio 1-2 times a week. But that's just me. Make sure to TRY and stick to your Dr's orders and when you do get back into it, just build up gradually.

thanks everyone, I get my sleeve on May 13th and am so excited, a little scared since I've never had surgery but I have a high tolerance for pain (having 5 older brothers will do that for you :D ) so I'm hoping I can walk right away