Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm only two months post op, but I can tell you already that 'this too shall pass' and you will be on the road to being a healthy bandster in no time. Those first few weeks post-op are brutal -- between feeling lousy and not getting to eat real food. Hang in there, make an appointment with a therapist if you need to, and give it a chance to do what it is supposed to do. Your body has just gone through a big change and the adjustments you will have to make will be both physical and emotional/mental. You've already taken a good first step...this is a great place for support.

I had surgery Dec. 11 to be rebanded.Food has always been my comfort and I miss it terribly. But for one month prior to band removal I felt good about myself. I so want that feeling again. My prayer is just that the band doesn't slip again and I can once again reach my goal weight. This past year has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Most of the people say I'm crazy for doing this again, but I had rather feel good about myself than win the lottery. Hang in there! I know I'm hanging by a thread, but maybe this time the thread won't "slip."

DDEE ,

I WILL PRAY FOR YOU !!

people like you are awsome that dont give up ! I :clap2: you . I was just banded on 12/06/06 doing better no pain no nothing has lots of nassaia but its going away . but just to read people like you that look at the bright side of things incorages me to know that I will go go go until I have accomplished my goal and more . Keep The POSITIVE and POSITIVE will come . Like anything in life there is up and down but if we look at the past .. that was our down side and we are going up up the hill.

Thank DDEE !!!!

clau

I guess I had it easy, Dr. Ortiz said to walk, walk, walk to that is what I did. The "Head" hunger has been the most problem. I am slowly understanding that the hunger MONSTER that I felt all my life is under control. I started eating normal food quickly. It is chewed, chewed, and chewed untill a paste. I have found this very helpfull.

I had my band Nov. 30. I can eat. At first I was carefull as could be, as my hunger increased I just increased my food. oatmeal is pretty filling. One day I went to Taco Bell and had the Beans from a bean burrito. Hardest thing is the continuing pain-just keep drinking the pain med. (I just sip right out of the bottle now-) I had barbeque beef sandwich Sat. Faitas Sunday. Entire bean burrito yesterday. pretzels really helped when I was hungry and sick to stomach! I guess because I have no fill, as the swelling goes down, I get hungry, but I can eat. Still have pain when I breath deep or God help me, hick-up! But no pain med yet today, so ??

:)I cannot begin to express my gratitude for all the words of encouragement from everyone! I am doing a lot better. I'm on full liquids which may get old fast, but atleast I am mentally back on track. Thank you all so much! I couldn't have done it without you. God bless you all!! Suzy

Dear Suzi and AmerillaJones,

I was banded Dec. 1st. I have not been exactly "hungry" but 4 days

post op, my son baked a pizza, and that was my favorite food!

It was a SIGNAL DELEMMA. The smell was amazing and I always wanted

pizza, but when I actually assesed myself, I had to admit I was not

"hungry", it was emotional, anyway it passed. I think this might have

been my hardest moment. Please do not unband, take one day, one

hour at a time and stay with-in a support group like us!

Hugs,

Giantangel

I'm sure that part of your pain is complicated because of Christmas. You probably have a lot to do and food is everywhere. The first 2 weeks after my surgery, I just had to physically leave the kitchen when others where eating. My mom came to help and of course she cooked all my favorites for my family. It was hard. It's an emotional time. Don't let anyone tell you that you're not hungry. You are. Physically and emotionally you are hungry. It does get easier like everyone on this thread has said. They're not lying. It will get better! The first month is the hardest. Lots of adjustments, but you can do it. Keep logging onto LBT and feel of the support! Good luck December bandsters!

I am one week post-op and walking 10 minutes a day...trying to walk more, but without liquid Loritab, couldn't walk 10 min... Had cream of asparagus Soup for lunch today. Wow! Delicious! Taking one day at a time; the hunger is steadily increasing. Have a good day, all!

I am one week post-op and walking 10 minutes a day...trying to walk more, but without liquid Loritab, couldn't walk 10 min... Had cream of asparagus Soup for lunch today. Wow! Delicious! Taking one day at a time; the hunger is steadily increasing. Have a good day, all!

So glad to hear you were rebanded and all is well. Wishing you the best.

As for wanting to be unbanded I certainly went through that in the 1st and maybe even the second week after surgery. I just felt miserable I did not even have the energy to climb the stairs in my house it was terrible! That was about day 3-4 and prior to that I was walking. I backed off of that and it helped me a lot the calorie resistriction made me like a wet noodle inside and out.

Today I spent an hour packing up clothes that no longer fit and looking back I am so glad I did not have the band removed. I was one month out yesterday! It is all up-hill from that first 2 week period.

SO don't worry!

Hi Suzy! It is normal to have a bit of a mood downturn after the surgery. In my opinion, several things are happening:

• The body acts very strangely after anesthesia. Thinking can become distorted and you may not even recognize yourself and the things you are thinking/worrying about.
  • Your body has undergone a shock too and it needs time to adjust.
  • I know, the first few days after surgery, usually while having gas pains, my mind would start spinning, whenever I thought about what I had really committed to. I think I was really hoping to wake up after surgery and the fat would just be gone! I knew better than that, but that was my secret hope.

For me, everytime I have embarked on a big new direction in my life, I would generally feel overwhelmed by the hugeness of the task. Imagining life without cigarettes was so scary, that I literally couldn't even to talk to myself about "quitting." When the day came, I just never had the first one of the day. I still haven't had that first one and it's been more than 25 years!

When we committed to having the band, we committed to getting in touch with the way we handle food and chose the lapband as a tool to help us with Portion Control and (hopefully) hunger so we could make steady progress in losing the weight and not having to regain it as soon as we got off the "diet" as we had so many times in the past.

This tool is meant to help us stay the course as we take a look at our relationship to food in our lives and learn how to make OTHER choices that are to our benefit. It gives us some time to break the chains our other food behaviors have put us in. It is not going to happen at once; there is time to adjust. That's what the LBT is all about.

We share our fears, make confessions to behaviors that we never told a soul about before, our victories and setbacks to people who know exactly how it is for us.

So if I can take you back to the cigarette analogy, concentrate on taking care of Suzy today. Let the future take care of itself. Drink your Water and other liquids, walk for gas and BREATHE. Tomorrow do more of the same. No one expects you to do anything for the next six weeks but to follow instructions your surgeon gave you and heal. Any weight loss in that time is a bonus.

If your mood doesn't lift in a few days, ask your doctor for help. In the meantime, know that we are here for you! :) :) ;)

Jo Ann

Jo Ann, How great you are to take the time to reply with such inteligence & great advice! I am newbie and wish I had read your message in the first week of post op. Thank you! Robin

Jahair, Great advice! Or Jo Ann. I can't really tell who posted the info. but thanks. I'm sore after a walk outside today! I got started and couldn't stop. The weather is unseasonably warm for MS, so off the treadmill and around the block I went. I was exhausted afterwards, but I feel that I accomplished a lot. Maybe we should each share one thing a day that we feel is our biggest advance for the day. Your accomplishment for the day might give me a goal/something to look forward to. You can tell that I am beyond boredom with this recuperation period. Any suggestions?