Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay...thanks, Amanda!

I completely understand the frustration. I was reading my chart when I returned to work (because I have that kind of time lol) and it was documented that my surgeon used a 50 fr. bougie. Yup' date=' 50. I was wondering why I was actually feeling hungry every 3-ish hours and still craving all the unhealthy/naughty foods. I was super mad when I found that out. I can eat more than I should be able to, and I'm only a month and a week out. So when I read that other people get full after such small quantities of food, I get so jealous. It's not fair that I went through all the B.S. for seemingly nothing. My surgeon kept pushing me for RNY too; I feel like this is some kind of sick revenge to get an "I-told-you-so" or something. So my NUT and family are just like, "oh you just have to practice more self control...". Are you kidding me? If I had that, I wouldn't have needed the damn surgery in the first place. :angry:[/quote']

The size of the bougie has nothing to do with cravings, I'm afraid. That's a head thing.

As far as being hungry, this surgery eliminates the major producer of the hunger hormone, but not the only organ that produces it. Some people are fortunate and lose physical hunger altogether. Some lose it for a few months to a year, but their body appears to adjust and start producing more grehlin from the alternate production sites in their bodies. And there are also a sizeable number who may experience some level of reduction of hunger, but never actually stop feeling hungry.

I'm sorry your hunger stuck around, but your stomach is still significantly smaller than before, and if you aren't feeling restriction yet, you're likely to as the nerves in your stomach continue to heal.

Are you eating your Proteins first? That should really help with you feeling full more quickly.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

The size of the bougie has nothing to do with cravings, I'm afraid. That's a head thing.

I never said that the bougie size affects cravings and I know that my stomach size is greatly reduced; but when compared to other post-op folk, I can still eat a larger-than-average amount of food. I read more stories about people losing cravings/hunger/everything than stuff saying the same. I do feel a restriction, however, I still want to eat more more more.

All I was trying to convey is I am jealous of those who no longer feel those hunger pangs and cravings... especially when I was specifically told that I wouldn't want anything to do with food. So, maybe you can understand my frustration.

I never said that the bougie size affects cravings and I know that my stomach size is greatly reduced; but when compared to other post-op folk, I can still eat a larger-than-average amount of food. I read more stories about people losing cravings/hunger/everything than stuff saying the same. I do feel a restriction, however, I still want to eat more more more.

All I was trying to convey is I am jealous of those who no longer feel those hunger pangs and cravings... especially when I was specifically told that I wouldn't want anything to do with food. So, maybe you can understand my frustration.

I understand your frustration because I am feeling the same way. I do feel hungry and I need to eat small meals through out the day to keep myself satisfied, however , I can't eat larger-than-average amounts of food. I can only eat 2-3 oz per meal, and I eat 4 times a day. I am not sure about bougie size having anything to do with it. I had a 36 bougie.... but I read that if the surgeon did not remove enough of the "fundus" I believe it is called then we still feel a little hunger, not as much as before the surgery, but we still feel it more than those who had more of their "fundus" removed. bodyweight.png?ts=1367503142

I completely understand the frustration. I was reading my chart when I returned to work (because I have that kind of time lol) and it was documented that my surgeon used a 50 fr. bougie. Yup, 50. I was wondering why I was actually feeling hungry every 3-ish hours and still craving all the unhealthy/naughty foods. I was super mad when I found that out. I can eat more than I should be able to, and I'm only a month and a week out. So when I read that other people get full after such small quantities of food, I get so jealous. It's not fair that I went through all the B.S. for seemingly nothing. My surgeon kept pushing me for RNY too; I feel like this is some kind of sick revenge to get an "I-told-you-so" or something. So my NUT and family are just like, "oh you just have to practice more self control...". Are you kidding me? If I had that, I wouldn't have needed the damn surgery in the first place. :angry:

Goodness why would your surgeon use a 50 French bougie, did you ask him why when you went to your follow up checkup.... Tannak had stomach scar tissue and her surgeon only used a 40 French bougie... Did he tell you why when you confronted him about it ??? because I would be pissed off too... Did he think maybe having a larger sleeve would make it easier to revise to RNY afterwards since he was pushing you towards RNY like my surgeon did until the last minute ??bodyweight.png?ts=1367503142

tannak

as Chris R. mentioned from "above" the difference in bougie size is teeny, teeny, teeny

hopefully you will feel that restriction

"famous" saying here is "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" :angry:

in other words even if you feel like you could eat more - STOP

i'm sure you measure your food - only eat that!!!!

my surgeon told me his favorite saying......

eat til you are full, then stop 2 bites earlier :)

take care

good luck

Under eating our sleeve is smart. If we aren't experiencing real hunger, you know, the "Oh my gosh, I'm starving" hunger it is much easier to stop ahead of time.

Thank you all. I am trying to follow my NUT's instructions and I am tracking all my calories. The good news is that I don't ever feel hungry so that part of this surgery is working just the way it should! I will definitely use this to my advantage as much as possible. I definitely need to beef up the exercising! I am determined to make this work even with the cards i have been dealt... my large sleeve!

I'm almost three years out and still don't get hungry. My 'new' hunger is an empty feeling. It is much easier to resist or under eat!!! I still log all my food and I still weigh and/or measure all my food when we are at home. It's just my new life, it's habit. Early on, the first couple of months, my caloric intake was 350 - 450 calories, they went up a little at a time, but when I was losing, I never ate more than 800 calories a day. Maintaining I need 1300 - 1350 a day. It's easy to go over, hence the logging my food! LoL Good luck, you'll do fine.

I only had a 2 week post op visit and I didn't know at that time what size it was. I won't see him again for another couple of months, I believe. I do get hungry, very hungry, but I don't stuff my face like I used to. I practice that whole, "eat 'til you feel full but stop 2 bites before that," but it's way more than 3-4 oz, and then I'm hungry again in a few hours.

The size of the bougie was brought up by surgeon in the first informational meeting I attended but I didn't pay much attention to it then cuz I was going for the bypass initially. Once I got more info and met with the surgeon and he explained everything again I still didn't really understand it but I opted for the sleeve for a number of reasons, primarily wanting to avoid the whole dumping syndrome. Since your sleeve is larger perhaps you will have to experiment with eating frequent small meals and see if that helps with the hunger issue. It is very disappointing to go thru such a major surgery and not get the result you were promised. Don't feel too jealous of other's lack of hunger or inability to eat. It can be a bummer too especially in social situations or when there's yummy food but you literally can't eat it! You can do this but you will have to track your food and all that ****. The surgery isn't a cure for our disease it's just a tool. Hang in there!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4

Thank you all. I am trying to follow my NUT's instructions and I am tracking all my calories. The good news is that I don't ever feel hungry so that part of this surgery is working just the way it should! I will definitely use this to my advantage as much as possible. I definitely need to beef up the exercising! I am determined to make this work even with the cards i have been dealt... my large sleeve!

How many calories are you eating per day?

How many calories are you eating per day?

I force myself to stop at about 800-900 calories a day. I hope that is about right! My NUT and doctor didn't give me any calorie limits. They just said eat Protein first then veggies if you have room and then carbs if you still have room! This way of eating will definitely NOT work for me because my sleeve is so large that I will eat way way too much!!

I force myself to stop at about 800-900 calories a day. I hope that is about right! My NUT and doctor didn't give me any calorie limits. They just said eat Protein first then veggies if you have room and then carbs if you still have room! This way of eating will definitely NOT work for me because my sleeve is so large that I will eat way way too much!!

Mine didn't give me a calorie guideline either. Most eat anywhere between 600-1200 calories while losing. On the bright side, you will always be able to meet your Protein goals!!! I'm sorry you found this out the way you did. It is frustrating. But thank god he didn't cut through scar tissue and leave you with months of hospital stays and leaks! You can do this!

My surgery group uses a 40 on everyone because they believe it is safer and has fewer associated risks. Good luck!

This is very graphic, DO NOT WATCH if you are squeamish.