Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand new! Just had my surgery 04/23/13

Hello everyone!

My name is Kaila and I am brand new to this forum (actually any forum) and I am definitely looking for some help with this journey. I will start a little about myself. I grew up the majority of my life in New Hampshire, am currently a proud army wife and mom of an almost 3 year old boy. I work as an office assistant and also as a home sales consultant with Seacret. I've spent the majority of my life taking care of others that it wasn't hard to forget about myself, leading to my unhealthy diet and with stress and anxiety, an addiction to food.

After moving to Colorado I gained a lot more weight in a short period of time because trying to breathe in this elevation was so difficult it took away my physical activity that I had in our other home. Within 3 months I became prediabetic, hypertensive, and had high cholesterol. I had my surgery and all my preop appointments at Evans Community Hospital at Fort Carson. My doctor was Dr. Mayfield. He was amazing. Very personable and straight forward. He didn't sugar coat anything, but definitely made you comfortable to talk to. I had a month of pre op appointments including mutliple nutrition appointments, wellness (metabolism testing), bariatric surgery group counseling and psychological evaluations. Going through the appointmetns were really important and informative.

My doctor was very lenient on the pre op diet. I ate reasonably and cut my calories down by half, but I still enjoyed my cravings occasionally. The day before surgery I ate up to 1:30 pm (only 2 very small meals concidering my Vitamins definitely helped minimize my diet, so I definitely reccomend takin them before surgery for at least 2 weeks) and they provided me a magnesium drink that cleans out your system. At that point I could not have anymore solid food.

Day of surgery was a bit tough phsycailly. I just remember waking up and all I could say was pain and shake my head. I spent 2 nights and 3 days admitted. They try to make you walk right away, but I didn't walk until the 2nd day. I was very much under the anestisia for a lot longer than I wanted to be. In order for me to go home I needed to drink 4 - 5 oz of clear Fluid within 1 hour. The first time I tried to drink it I became really sick. Eventually I was able to drink 8 oz. within 3 hours, so they let me go home.

My problem right now is that I am on the full liquid diet, but I cannot injest more than 35 oz a day, and only clear fluids. Its painful to drink still ( 5 days post op) and I can't really drink any full fluids yet The first day I tried I ended up in the hospital again dehydrated. Has anyone else had such a hard time drinking after surgery? All I keep hearing is that the 1st week is the worst, but people I've read their information or seen youtube are drinking full liquids like champs the first week, so it makes me feel a little broken.

Im also having a really hard time with commercials. If I see Little Caesars pizza one more time I may snap. I have also had such a heightened sense of smell. I could smell my grandmothers plain toast while she was upstairs. It seems like it's making it more difficult.

Also, walking is increditbly difficult. There's always a sharp or dull (it changes) spot under my left breast where my stomach would be, but when I walk it becomes more painful. Should you push through it or take it easier?

Any advice would be wonderful. I am definitely open to anything that would make my life a lot more comfortable right now!

Let me start by thanking you and your husband/family for your service to this country! While I'm a week pre-op, I just want to offer you some encouragment and well wishes. I have read stories of people who drink all through the day using a sippy cup, just always taking little sips. Also, try your liquids at different temperatures. This just might have to be a trial and error until you get through this. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Had my surgery 4 days ago, so this my first post too! Had a rough first couple of days due to a bad reaction to the anaesthetic - I was fainting every time they got me out of bed. But persevered and got home yesterday.

Was going to post about heightened sense of smell when I saw your comment Kaila. For me, it's not pleasant, everything has a strange smell that's making me feel nauseous. Not sure if this is normal and hope it passes :-)

I have been commenting too on how much there is on tv about food -ads, cooking programmes, diet shows, you can't get away from food!

Good luck, hopefully we are just having the hard first week people talk about. I worry about how much liquid I am drinking but I can't drink any more. I am also nauseous with shakes. But onwards and upwards, others have been here before us and succeeded - we are not alone :-))))

Thank you both. I had planned so much to be able to just drink and drink, and that is all I seem to do, but if you drink too much you will vomit (which I almost did today after trying to drink a little french onion Soup, take my Vitamin, then drink water). Everyone can be a little different post op, and I was certainly hoping that I wasn't going to be one of the people with problems. If I don't take the pain meds (which taste disgusting) I don't drink.

I do wish you a lot of luck Kel San! I definitely wont' say I regret it because I have so much support and people helping me through the difficult times, but it is certainly a lot harder than I expected. I can say that after the swelling that I weighed in today 7 lbs lighter, which definitely feels nice.

And Indigo, absolutely the smell thing is a bit off. I'm lucky in a way that nothing smells bad (except the liquid percocet) but at the same time everything smelling good is really hard to deal with. For example, tonight we have crock pot pot roast and veggies, and all I want to do is break up a piece of potato and carrot and just try to eat them.

The best part of it all I guess is knowing that it's not that you shouldn't eat something, it's that you can't. The punishment effect is what I needed, and I know that if being retrained to eat like a newborn is what it takes, I'll take it. :)

I'm with u on the retraining....

Spoke to my nurse today and she said I was trying too hard and needed to ease back on forcing down liquids. So am being more relaxed and I have to say I feel better, less of a failure. As a result, have had some Soup, Water and tea so am now peeing properly which is progress, lol.

I am in Edinburgh so we take our pain relief in tablet form from day 1 so don't have any probs with the meds. But this isn't an easy option, as you say, it's hard and support is crucial. My 21 year old son, who has been a star, has been a bit apprehensive about eating around me. Looking at his lamb, potatoes and mushrooms, I try to remember there will be a day when I can eat that again - although not in the same portion size as I used to.

Day by day, we will get there. It's early days and you need to be kind to yourself too. Hope today is a better day form you. And my name is Jacqui :-)

Just take it easy on the liquids and switch it up keep a water bottle in every room and take sips also take sips of different types of flavors of diet snapple. Get the sugar fee Popsicles munch on those when everyone else is eating. Yesterday was the toughest for me my family had all kinds of good Mexican foods, sweets I was good though and sipped on broth. It kind of grossed me out how I seen my family go for 2nd and 3rd helpings because that would of been me eating all of that and gaining all the weight.

Just take it easy on the liquids and switch it up keep a Water bottle in every room and take sips also take sips of different types of flavors of diet snapple. Get the sugar fee Popsicles munch on those when everyone else is eating. Yesterday was the toughest for me my family had all kinds of good Mexican foods, sweets I was good though and sipped on broth. It kind of grossed me out how I seen my family go for 2nd and 3rd helpings because that would of been me eating all of that and gaining all the weight.

I agree Tv with having so many people around eating.I tried time it so it wasn't around major holidays or my birthday (which was earlier this month). I wanted to be more adjusted before hand. I am working on a list of recipes right now for each stage of the diet, and what to swap/limit/do around holidays to make it easier, but it won't ever go away I think, especially if someone loves food so much.

Today my doctor renwed my pain meds and gave me nausea meds becaues I almost vomited yesterday. It felt horrible. They said because I have been dehydrated that that is the reason I am having a hard time drinking because it makes me more sore. It's a viscious cycle. But I am determined today to get at least 30 oz.

hello. had my first appt. with my surgeon. i am told in about 3 months i may have surgery. so i am happy for you. good luck. i am happy i found your file and i will follow you to learn from your experiences. if you have any advice for me, or can let me know how you are feeling about your decision or how you feel physically as far as eating, please write to me. thanks god bless. eva

first appt was your day of surgery..

I definitely will ! BTW, get nausea meds lol Total life saver. I was able to drink today! And I tried popscicles finally. A great way to get your liquid.

My friend laughed at me because I look like I have a hospital refrigerator with al the Jello and pudding in there lol After getting nausea meds I have finally been able to drink a lot more and even eat some foods, though I know I technically I shouldn't have solids. Literally just tasting something makes me feel better. I have a huge problem with head hunger and seeing all the commercials all the time make me nuts. I don't even have to eat all of it (I had a bite of my husbands egg whites from his sub with literally a drop of cheese and it helped my cheese fix and it didn't react bad). I've been able to eat more Protein, but not as much as I want yet. I've had a few crackers and it has settled very well.

It sounds like things are starting to get better for you which is great after a rough patch! I, too, am amazed at how much food is advertised on TV. I move to the pureed stage tomorrow and I've never been so excited about tuna salad in my life. :D