Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Hereby Solemnly Swear...

*clears throat, steps up on soap box* soapbox.gif

My post-op promise (for when I get there):

Well, I *could* say I swear to forever and always give up sweets and carbs, but I know myself, and that's not realistic. One day, post-op, I will indulge in a nibble or two, and be able to step away from the sugars. I *could* say I swear to work out for two hours a day, 7 days a week, but unless I've fallen through a rip in the time-space continuum into an alternate universe, I'm gonna have to go with "nope" on that as well.

But here's what I can promise. I solemnly swear not to be one of those post-WLS folks who feel so pleased with their own success and progress that they then look down on obese people who haven't made changes. I will never hate on any non-WLS person

What makes me say this right now? (Apart from the fact that I'm just not that mean?) I've been reading around the internet, looking at WLS blogs that are scattered across various sites, reading Facebook profiles that were linked to the authors of those blogs, and stumbled across someone's public Facebook photo of an extremely obese woman who was out running her errands (shopping and whatnot). This woman most likely had NO idea she was being photographed, and the picture is certainly not flattering. The caption mentioned how the photographer felt "sick to their sleeve" after looking at the obese lady.

oogle.gif

Wow.

Now, I don't know the photographer from Adam's left ox; I just happened to stumble across them while internet-wandering, and they had publicly posted photos--the pics weren't hidden in any way. I clicked away from that Facebook profile feeling sad and disgusted that someone who bragged about conquering their food challenges and accepted lots of public back-patting for it would then skewer another human being who hasn't been able/brave enough/informed enough to take the same steps.

So, I am publicly promising never, EVER, to be that catty and smug about whatever progress this tool brings my way. I will never, EVER judge someone else who isn't on the same path as my own. Weighing less won't turn me into a rude or obnoxious person, any more than being heavy makes me one.

You can all hold me to it.

Here, here!

One of my friends who is also overweight asked me if she could eat something in front of me the other day. She asked if I would mind. I said, "YOU BETTER EAT IT!" I'm not gonna judge her (or anyone else) for how they live their life, and SHAME SHAME on that person who posted the "sick to my sleeve" picture. I don't think losing weight made her that way! Once a jerk, always a jerk!!

I don't think losing weight made her that way! Once a jerk, always a jerk!!

Proof that everything we hear about VSG not changing the patient's personality is true, I guess!

I second this 100%. It's much the same as the ex-smokers who become the smoking police. Please, people, have a little compassion and understanding! Not only is it a place you COULD have been, it's a place you HAVE been! Why would you do to someone else what hurt so much when it was done to you?

That's exactly how I feel about it, SpaceDust! I'm willing to bet that being unfairly judged by others was one of the reasons this person had the surgery to begin with--how mean and rotten to do the same exact thing to another person! It definitely shows a lack of compassion. Anyone can sling mud at a stranger.

Karma will handle it eventually, I'm sure. In the meanwhile, it just makes my blood boil, y'know?

I'm with you, Vixynne. I'm normally a pretty laid back sort of person, but that just pushes my buttons.