Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To do or not to....

I am new th lapbandtalk. I am considering lap band. I have my consultation in a few weeks. I am worried about the food like most people that I have read about. I'm also a worry wart, emotional eater, and just plain scared. I'm afraid that once I get the band it won't be right for me or I will miss the food that I love so much (which brings me to why I have to consider a band in the first place). Do you ever not think about the food you used to be able to eat? I hate the fact that food rules my life right now and I don't want to do that anymore. I just want to start living!!!!! Can anyone give me some good helpful advice, please? Maybe some good websites to look at. Anything is most appreciated.

Thank You :help:

Hi ya ohiobluegal

We all started this journey with worries, fears, concerns that we would'nt be able to do all required...but as with anything its a one day at a time journey!!! If your priority is to loose weight and you are committed to that...even if you make a few mistakes one day you have always got the next day to make up and try and make good choices...I love my food...my eyes are way bigger than my stomach...sometimes I get in trouble with this but tomorro for me is always a new day...You will never know how you cope up with the responsibility until you try...but I guarantee that once you start seeing the scale going down and down that is all the motivation you will need to keep going....

Welcome to lapband talk and good luck for your consult in a few weeks...I hope you find all the answers you are looking for.

:) Becky

I will admit that the band does make you realize the emotional connection that you have with food. I am not scared of that because I now focus that energy in so many more productive directions. I have a better relationship with my husband and two children as well as my co-workers not to mention the energy that I have to do so many things that I used to avoid.'

I would not go back and change a single thing, this is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Hey Ohiogal

I had the same worries and concerns as you. before I got the band I posted a similar thread because I too was sick of my weight and food being such a major focus of my life. I was sick of getting invitations to weddings and my first thought being that I dont want to go because of my weight or oh crap, now I have to buy something that fits.

Anyway, I am 7 weeks banded and feel great, down 32 lbs as of this a.m. My children don't even know I have a band, they just know mom is eating healthier. Everyone is very different but there is nothing I can't eat. I have had pizza and chinese food. I have eaten out several times with people who don't know "my secret" and they never suspected a thing. I make good, healthy food choices MOST times and eat much less of everything. I often share a meal with my 7 year old. I choose to avoid Pasta and bread because they are my "trigger" foods, meaning I just want more and more. I don't eat junk food simply because I don't want to. I feel full faster and longer. What a tool!

Again, everyone is different and I know the majority of people it seems have certain foods they can't tolerate.

hi,

if i had to do it all over again, the only thing i would change is doing it sooner... if that was even possible :)

seriously, i was an emotional eater (still am at a small point). i just go for things that wont hurt me. a handful of almonds is yummy and has the 'good fats' in it, maybe 1 - 2 pieces of SF chocolate (russell stover makes awesome turtles) but i have to watch that a lot because 1 - 2 pieces can turn into way too many pieces.

the thing w/ the band is that you have to realize it is a tool to assist you, it doesnt work on its own. you have to work it.

good luck.

I agree, the band does wonders for physical hunger but the head hunger is something I have to deal with all by myself!!

I also go for almonds, I count out 15-20 and put the canister AWAY.

Also, yesterday I bought a large bar of very dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is supposed to be very beneficial to your health, loaded with antioxidents. Anyway, the bar is still in a bag in the car because I am not sure I can only take one or two squares and be satisfied. I've always wanted to be one of those people who could actually have a big candybar last a week, that is totally out of my realm of understanding;) ha ha

I completely understand your fears. I really thought I could never live without soft drinks, but now almost half a year later, I don't even think about them. I am more concerned with which stores carry something I CAN drink. I am also a worrier, but I truly have found the answer to my eating disability. Nothing feels as good going down my throat, as the joy of knowing when I step foot out of my bed that my feet will not scream out my name in pain from the load they are expected to carry.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice.

Has anyone ever felt like they made a mistake and wanted the band taken off? How do you handle big holidays with all of the food? Desserts? Am I worrying for nothing about these things?

When were you able to start exercising? and what kind of exercising did you do?

Thank you.

Ohiobluegal

Has anyone ever felt like they made a mistake and wanted the band taken off? How do you handle big holidays with all of the food? desserts? Am I worrying for nothing about these things?

Thank you.

Ohiobluegal

:)

Hey Ohiobluegal,

I was banded on Sept. 18, 2006 and I am so happy I did!! I am not 27 lbs lighter. I use to love bread and Pasta, now I look at it just knowing how sick I feel after I eat it! This is enough for me to just say no to it. I am however able to eat crackers. Not a lot but enough (like 5) that seems to do well with me. I also have a hard time with chicken, Chinese, beef unless they are really cut into very small like what you would give a baby for the first time eating these foods. I eat less but feel fine. If there is something I might crave I have a very little amount really just a bite and that seems to do it for me. You just have to really stop and think about the food you put into your body and look for the proteins! That is the most important part you body needs! I tend to eat eggs more and fish. Fish does great for me. As for as exercising goes, well I really need to jump on that boat. I will now after a comment was passed to me on how much they can see I have lost weight but my butt has not really gone down. So you can bet I will be on that treadmill in the am!! Walking is really the best you can do and maybe light weights for toning up.

Good luck on the banding you wont be sorry!!! I am very happy I did it!

alwaysleo8364 :)

Yes after almost 5 months the craving have disappeared for me. I was sad passing a chinese or mexican restaurant and even going to the grocery store saddened me. Going from a size 26 jean to a 18 feels so good I got over it. When I pulled those jeans on my brain cravings started going away. Now they are loose. I must remember to pull those old mom size 16 jeans and try them on. Then I will go buy a trendy pair and donate the old style .

So yes you won't miss pigging out eventually.

edie

Has anyone ever felt like they made a mistake and wanted the band taken off? How do you handle big holidays with all of the food? Desserts? Am I worrying for nothing about these things?

Thank you.

Ohiobluegal

:)

Please let me just say that you are NOT worring for nothing. These are legitimate concerns and these are great questions. You should be as informed as possible about this, its a big deal.

I know try to walk on the treadmill 1/2 a few times a week and do a couple of arm excercises with light weights.

For me its a good cycle, the more I lose, the more I want to lose so the more I make better choices. The holidays were fine, I ate a small amount of dinner and a few bites of dessert. I was only about 5 weeks banded so I wasn't too tempted to go overboard.

For me, the band just helps me to do what I know I should have been doing all along!

It is not a miracle, you are still in control of what you eat, the band helps you stay in control.

I thought Thanksgiving was going to be hard. It used to be my favorite holiday because of the food. I LOVE dressing and green bean casserole and I have always had two or three plates of food not including the dessert.

Well, this year I only put a teaspoon of everything I liked on my plate. If I didn't like it, I didn't bother taking a spoonfull. A teaspoon of food is about 4 to 6 bites for me. So I had 4 to 6 bites of everything I loved. I spent the same amount of time maybe longer eating my teaspoons of food then I used to eating 3 plates. I enjoyed my food and didn't feel "robbed" in any way like I thought I would.

I can still eat the foods that I love, I just eat so much less of them and enjoy them more actually because I savor every bite instead of shoveling it in like I used to. I haven't felt deprived at all. I am now the one ordering chicken salad at the table instead of the cheeseburger and fries.

My body (head, not really sure) actually craves vegetables and low fat Proteins now when I haven't had enough of them. I am also craving fruit instead of candy bars and chips. That NEVER happened pre-band. LOL.

I can feel my ribs, get up and down off the floor with no problem. I am wearing 16's and 18's (that are loose) instead of 22's. I am not desperate to "fall of the wagon" like I would always be on other diets. The scale doesn't go back up anymore. For example, if I weigh 196, I am not back up to 203 after the weekend anymore. This list could go on and on. I was the perfect example of an emotional eater. My whole day would revolve around Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I truly did not know I was so emotionally attached to food until after I was banded. I knew I was a little bit, but didn't realize to what extent. Being banded is the best thing that I have ever done for myself. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner like others have said.

Good luck!