Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Not Enough

Okay, so I had my first fill two and a half weeks ago. My doctor put 1.4 cc in my 4 cc band. I DON'T BELIEVE it is near enough. I can eat like a football player. Way past the 3/4 cup of food they told me that I would.

Has anyone else has this same problem: their first fill was not enough?

I was losing literally a pound a day during liquids/mushy stages, and now, I have plateued for the past three weeks....SO FRUSTRATING.

I need some motivating words please.

Thanks!!

I had my first fill 4 day ago. It was done a floro-scope to aid the fill. My demand. It went fine, found the port easy, got the right amount, not loose, it was a little tight on day 3 but is better today. I am very happy with my fill. I have read that some need 5,6,7 or more fills to feel a restriction.

That's what I got for my first fill and mine wasn't enough. It took 3 fills to get to my sweet spot. I have the 4cc's band and have 1.6 in mine right now. Had to have a slight unfill after the 4th fill and now I'm back at the 3rd fill level I had. My surgeon says wait 2 weeks and if you need more come back. Maybe you could get another fill in before Christmas.

Hi abatkins

My first fill wasn't enough either...barely felt anything and I had 2cc in a 4cc band...I am now on 3.5cc and it seems to be fine.

Try and get back in for another fill before christmas if you are worried that christmas dinner might have too many temptations for you!!!

Merry Christmas

:)

Here is my fill "history". I have 4.0 cc capacity band. First fill was 1.7 cc's. No restriction. Second fill as 1.2 cc's for a total of 2.9 cc's. I felt restriction one time when I ate chinese food. I could feel the food gurgling down through the band a lot, but I could eat as much as I wanted. Third fill was .2 cc's for a total of 3.1 cc's. I went back two days later because I no longer felt the gurgling or anything and I could still eat as much as I wanted. Fourth fill was .3 cc's for a total of 3.4 cc's. I have absolutely no restriction! I can eat as much as I want! I just have a lot of air coming back up when I am not eating or drinking. Isn't this crazy? I am worried that I am going to get up to 4.0 cc's and I still won't have restriction!

It took me 3 fills to feel the level of restriction where I was actually losing weight. I would go in for another fill. My doctor fills after 2 weeks. Good luck.

To Brandy: I would worry about gurgling etc. It sounds like you may be full and not thinking you are full. It can be a head game with yourself. I often fell full in my belly but not in my head. I am working hard to relearn FULL.

I have the big Vanguard Band - I have had five fills so far - and I probably need one more.

So - it's entirely possible that the first fill wasn't enough.

Keep the faith!

:]

I just wish I was feeling gurgling now! I wish I was feeling something! I'm telling you, it's like I don't even have a band, other than having a lot more burps come up than I would without a band. This is my second band, so I know how to recognize fullness and restriction. With my first band I was way tight at 3.0 cc's. That's another reason why I am so worried this time around.

Brandy, was a larger band used the second time? Have you had any fills? Are the fills with Floro? Why did you need rebanding?

Best wishes

I got rebanded because I had a slip the first time around. I have had four fills so far. You can see the details of those if you scroll up on this thread. They have all been under flouro. The fill doc said that my band is in the perfect position on my stomach. That was just on 11/29/06, so I would hope that nothing has changed since then. I know that I have a 4.0 cc capacity band right now. The first band I had was also a 4.0 cc band and it was the 9.75 cm. I am going to see my surgeon on the 22nd for my six month post op check up. I am going to verify with him that I have the same exact size band this time. The only difference would be if this one is the 4.0 cc 10.0 cm band. I don't really think that would make much of a difference, but you know how sensitive these darn things are. Anyway, either band only holds 4.0 cc's, so I don't really think it would be that much of a difference. What do you guys think?