Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

My name is Sal I am originally from Long Island, Ny I moved to Tampa, Fl in 2003 after spending 22 years in NY. I am 25 years old, and have been on the plus side of the scale most of my life. I was around 325-350 my senior year of high school. I was a defensive tackle for my football team 9th and 10th grade and then I left the program to go work to earn money for college and personal life expenses. I continued after to play roller hockey both for pleasure and in leagues in the area. My father passed of a heart attack on 12/23/98 after then it seems I have put on most of my weight. I feel most of my weight was due to my poor work schedule. I worked usually from 1230 PM til 930-1000 PM and much lunch break was at 230 PM i would then come home and eat dinner. I currently topple the scale at over 650 lbs last time I was weighed for disabililty which was a little over a 1 1/2 ago. I haven't been on a bathroom type scale in I can't tell you how long. I currently have extrememly limited mobility, just walking across the house gets my winded and in pain. Since being on disbility, I have been extremely discouraged. I can not find a doctor within the state of Florida who will preform the surgery. I was declined for financing because I have no colateral (I do not own a home). My right knee is in constant pain there is almost no cartilage left and will need some type of replacement after I lose weight ( doctor I went to refuses to touch in now in the shape I am in.) My left leg is swollen for reason I don't know, but I have been hospitalized 4 times this year for celulitious (sp). I have very consistant back pain and upper body pain. I am mostly confined to the house all day. I sometimes venture out into the world, sometimes I even forget what it looks like because it has been so long since I went out. I should be getting medicare early in the spring and I hear they cover the surgery so my spirits are up. I even wrote to Dr. Phil and Oprah. Dr Phil responded and after the phone interview I never heard anything back. I followed up with them several times and still nothing. Oprah I never heard back from. I dream of the days of being thin again. I look forward to the days of doing activities like everyone else and I even dream of going back to work and join society again. I have went to one seminar for the lap banding and I was impressed. The Dr.s name was Dr Grossbard at Town and Country Hospital. Does anyone know of any other good Dr's in Tampa, Fl they would recommend doing the surgery? Sorry to vent. I am glad I found this site. Hello everyone.

Sal :)

Hi Sal, there is a thread here called Free LapBand, a wonderful couple here is giving away a free Lapband or providing financing for one, From somethings I've read, at your weight I think people mostly get gastric bypass. I'm sure you have done your research, I have not done that type of research, so i'm sure you know what is right for you. If you find that thread you can P.M the couple and they will be making a decision on christmas I believe. Good luck, I hope that you find your answer.

Oh I am from Bradenton and that is about an hour south of you, there is a great dr. there that does lapband surgeries, i forget his name but I believe he works closely with Manatee Memorial Hospital.

I had my band put in by Dr. Reinke and Dr. Grossbard (he has the band so I trusted him!). Not sure about how they work the payments as I was a self pay and luckly I was able to secure the money. It has been the best move for me. My knees dont hurt and my back is better every day!

I wish you the best!!!

Welcome Sal...

I hope you are successfull in changing your life...I look forward to hearing of your progress.

:)

Thank You Everyone For Your Kind Words. I Will Be Sending In An Essay Please Say A Prayer. Thank You

Sal :xena_banana:

Hi Sal, I sure hope surgery works out for you. Its amazing how time flies and our weight can go up. My high was 320. I am now down to 250 range. I had lost 40 lbs before surgery cutting out sugar and carbs and just trying to get my healthy in general. I sure would like to hear more a out your success. I really pray you get the help you are looking for. It takes a lot of courage in your circumstance to come out and ask for help. I hope you can become more mobile through this experience as well. Keep us posted.

Thank You I Will Keep Everyone Updated As To What Happens.

I Want To Let You All Know I Submitted My Essay That Sweethot Recommended I Do. I Also Want To Thank You All For This Site, There Is So Much Knowledge Here That No Doctor Can Give You. I Hope To Hear Good News From The Essay I Submitted. Everyone Keep Your Fingers Crossed.

Sal :rolleyes:

Well No Good News On The Essay. I Guess I Have To Wait Till April For Medicare To Kick In. Hope They Don't Screw Me Over Also. One Can Only Pray. I Do Want To Thank The People Running The Essay Contest For The Opportunity To Even Write In.

Hi Sal, just wanted to say hi and wish you all the best. Please don't give up hope. Keep us updated wont you.Susannah

Hi sal,

I am a new bandit - 4 days ago. I suggest that you research what the pre-requisite requirements are for medicare before April . In this way if there are any requirements that take time (i.e. following a doctors diet for 6 months, logging weights for a year, etc.) you can get a head start on them. By doing this, you will probably be approved for the surgery because your BMI is over 40. Keep your hopes up and let us know what happens. You might also want to try reaching out to richard simmons. Youll be in my thoughts and prayers!!

Hi Sal,

There are 2 great Dr's in Bradenton. Dr Bunch and Dr Erabella. They do all the surgeries together with great success. I just had mine done yesterday but I will say i was very impressed with both dr's. They are from Bradenton Surgical Group.

Good Luck

Stephanie