Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lazy Boy

Guest LISA LEE

Guest LISA LEE

HELLO EVERYONE,

THANK YOU FOR THE WARM WELCOME. I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT AFTER THE SURGERY, ONLY 12 MORE DAYS TILL I AM ON THE LOOSING SIDE.

I HAVE READ AT VARIOUS SITES THAT YOU SHOULD INVEST IN A RECLINER, FOR sleeping ,BUT I NO THIS WAS FOR THE GALS WHO HAVE HAD THE RNY PROCEDURE. I HAVE A WATERBED, AND WONDER IF I NEED TO PURCHASE ONE?

I AM SUPPOSE TO HAVE THE LAP BAND , DONE LAPORSCOPICLY (SORRY ABOUT SPELLING) SO WONDER IF YOU ALL HAD ANY PROBLOMS SLEEPING, GETTING OUT OF BED ECT....

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU ALL SOON!!

LISA LEE

Yes ma'am. You will definitely have an issue getting in and out of any bed. I've had a waterbed in the past and I would say that would definitely be another challenge all together. As for purchasing a recliner? Well, I can't say. That would be up to you.

I don't own a recliner and I've just made do with lying on the couch or bed and slowly teaching myself how to get off with the least pain possible. I'm now 6 days post-op from my second surgery, which seems to be worst than the first for me and I'm now getting on and off the bed with much more ease.

It's a few days discomfort. I'm not sure that would warrant buying a recliner unless you really just wanted one.

I hope this helps!

Leatha

I am a side sleeper and for the first few days sleeping on my side was not possible. So therefore I did not sleep much. I used my recliner to get more comfortable and to give my back a rest. I loved the recliner. It allowed me to simulate sleeping on my side without the pressure to the incisions. I too had a waterbed after surgery and it was very difficult to get in and out of bed that first night. Hence the sleeping in the recliner. I now have a sleep comfort bed and expect this next surgery will be easier to get in and out of. I have to have a port revision tomorrow.

I can't see buying special furniture for this brief recovery period. I slept just fine, albeit on my back for a couple of days. Sure, I loved having a recliner to rest in, but I was only really "resting" for two days post-op. Then I was back on my feet.

This is absolutely not as big a surgery as the RNY; if all goes well you'll quickly have no need for anything special. It's not like having a baby, where the need for a good rocking chair continues for years down the road. :)

Guest LISA LEE

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT, I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH.

I HAVE WANTED TO BUY A LAZY BOY BUT REALLY DID NOT NEED ONE, I HAVE A WONDERFUL ROCKING CHAIR(OAK) BUT YOU CAN'T sleep IN IT, IT IS GOOD FOR ROCKING BABIES THOUGH LOL!!!

I JUST WANTTO BE COMFORTABLE, I HAVE A BUM HIP, AND WITH THAT AND THE SURGERY WAS UNSURE IF I WOULD BE ABLE TO GET OUT OF MY BED.

I AM GETTING A WEE BIT UNSURE OF GOING THROUGH WITH THE SURGERY,I REALLLLLLY WANTTO DO THIS BUT I AM SCARED. I DON'T WANTTO chicken OUT, ESPECIALLY ALL THAT I HAD TO DO TO GET HERE YA NO?

:phanvan

LISA LEE

Lisa Lee- We can't make this descision for you but I think if you asked any one of us 2 questions here is what our answers would be. 1) Were we scared when we went in for surgery? Who wouldn't be a little apprehensive of any type of surgery? I sobbed going into surgery for both my broken ankle many years ago and my band. Shoot they had to give me a relaxant shot when they got me on the operating table for the band, I was crying so hard. It was just a long day full of lots of different stresses and like you I was just plain scared.

2) Are we happy we had it done? I think you have heard from all of us that we are all indeed happy we had it done. Even those who have had to have further surgeries and complications are happy they had the initial procedure done.

I don't know how over-weight you are but this group represents people of all body shapes and sizes so you are not alone no matter what it is. I started off at 362 lbs. I just got sick of it!!! The whole last year I had completely given up on any sort of dieting and just felt done... I am sorry you are scared but please know that it is normal and we have all went thru it. The recovery is as minimal as it can get for surgery. I have heard a ton more recovery horror stories on the Tummy Tuck I want when I reach goal. Best of luck and keep us posted. Teresa;)

Lisa, Yesterday was 2 weeks since I was banded tHE first night I slept in recliner after that I slept on couch for 3 days because I have a really high bed and me with short legs decided it would be more comfortable on couch. I went through the same feelings scared and anxious ready to chicken out but thank God I didn't I love my band I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was on liquids weeks before surgery I have lost total of 22 pounds I 'm so happy wish every large person could get the band. Good luck and know those feelings are normal, this is a great sight and don't think I could have made it without all these great Banders.

Take Care; Nanny :D;)

Lisa, a recliner is an expense that only you can say you want right now. Do you have someone that you could borrow one from for a few days? You may not even need it for this surgery. I already had one (that I bought when I had an open-method kidney removal. That resulted in a 10 inch incision and removal of a lower rib.) I definitely didn't want to sleep on my side for 2 weeks and the recliner kept me from turning over. The band surgery is laproscopic and no comparison.