Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long Term Side Effects

Good morning all, ok so my family is freaking out saying that the Sleeve hasn't been around long enough for the long term side effects to be layed out. I didn't really get the opportunity to ask my surgeon the long term side effects or leakage indications. Can someone help.. has anyone out there had any issues with the Sleeve, I want some feedback to give my parents and Husband positive and negative.. What has you experience been with the Sleeve, would you do it again, and please be honest.. good and bad... Thanks!

I've been sleeved since end of January 2013, and YES I would do it again. I am down 34-35 pounds and it's slow going but it's going. The only thing I noticed as a side effect is heart burn. So I just stay away from spicy/greasy stuff. Not too hard to do. The not drinking carbonated drinks helps too. But aside from that thank goodness I have not noticed any other side effect. Good luck on your journey!

thanks.. good luck to you to. Bunnydee.... Also, are you allowed to drink alcohol after everything is healed?

There are a million threads on "regrets" "complications" - you might try doing a search to hear all the horror stories!

The risk of leaks is really early on. Sometimes a small leak might not be discovered for several weeks out, but it is believed most of them occur very early. You move out of the woods on that risk within 6-8 weeks post op (again, some are discovered after that, but didn't like occur after that.

The main long term risk is not losing enough weight or regaining

Another is reflux. there is some studies indicating that the reflux problem goes up after year 3.

My personal theory is that it might be caused by people resuming larger portions... but of course I don't know.

I have had tremendous success so of course would recommend the sleeve but am only 16 months out.

Good morning all, ok so my family is freaking out saying that the Sleeve hasn't been around long enough for the long term side effects to be layed out. I didn't really get the opportunity to ask my surgeon the long term side effects or leakage indications. Can someone help.. has anyone out there had any issues with the Sleeve, I want some feedback to give my parents and Husband positive and negative.. What has you experience been with the Sleeve, would you do it again, and please be honest.. good and bad... Thanks!

My fill dr in Olympia, WA told me last week that the Sleeve has been performed for nearly 8 years, which means they are just two years away from the 10-year reports. However, he also stated that the Sleeve is proving to the US medical community to be 80% effective in Permanent weight loss.

From what I have seen on the boards and in all my research the past three months, the MX doctors have the corner on the success ratio. I think it is because they have done more of them and have mastered the learning curve.

I for one am counting down the days until I can begin my journey

thanks.. good luck to you to. Bunnydee.... Also, are you allowed to drink alcohol after everything is healed?

my girlfriend drinks wine quite often and she is 6 months out. Just be aware that you will get loopy faster she said. I know someone who is 11 weeks out and she will not risk it for a few more months since alcohol is an irritant

Lisa, when is your surgery scheduled, mine is scheduled 28 May.. I am so excited, especially since the insurance is paying.. LOL

Lisa, how do you get the chart thing at the bottom of your post, like you current weight goal weight ?

Im only 4 1/2 months out and the only side effect that I have is heartburn. I never had it prior to surgery but now I have it but I take a PPI (Prevacid 30mg) every morning and its not an issue. Its only an issue if I forget to take it. Other than that, every single other thing has been positive.

thats fantastic

Lisa, when is your surgery scheduled, mine is scheduled 28 May.. I am so excited, especially since the insurance is paying.. LOL

May 10th! I would do it tomorrow if I could :)

as far as the ticker, go into your profile. It took me a bit to figure it out

I figured it out. Thanks for your help and god bless you in your journey..

There are excellent surgeons in Mexico - but I think that it is a misrepresentation to say their patients get better results. These boards have alot of patients of certain Mexican surgeons - when you go out of country you don't have as much "in person" support so the boards are a major source of info and support.

I think the key is to have a good surgeon, and that the patient finds a way to get proper education and support - through whatever means. I was blessed with insurance to cover my revision to sleeve and the local practice I went to boasts pretty good stats. I certainly feel I have done very well.

My fill dr in Olympia, WA told me last week that the Sleeve has been performed for nearly 8 years, which means they are just two years away from the 10-year reports. However, he also stated that the Sleeve is proving to the US medical community to be 80% effective in Permanent weight loss.

From what I have seen on the boards and in all my research the past three months, the MX doctors have the corner on the success ratio. I think it is because they have done more of them and have mastered the learning curve.

I for one am counting down the days until I can begin my journey