Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New from Australia

Hi everyone, am looking at being banded once I have given birth (am 12 weeks pregnant). Have about 30-40kgs to lose. Was wondering, has anyone else been banded shortly after giving birth??? Also, does anyone know approximate out of pocket expenses in VIC AUS or does it depend on the surgeon? Thanks.

Depends on the surgeon, but it seems to be average around $3,000 to $4,500.

Good luck with your pregnancy, and I had a similar amount to lose and its worked really really well for me.

hi jc28...Congrats on your pregnancy...I was going to have lapband in january 05 but found out a week before surgery i was pregnant...so I ended up having surgery about 5 weeks after my babies birth... my dr recommended 6 weeks to heal...but I had a healthy pregnancy so ended up having it 5 weeks later...But the best thing about being pregnant was that I lost weight all the way through my pregnancy...i guess thats the hormones for you...

:)

hi jc28...Congrats on your pregnancy...I was going to have lapband in january 05 but found out a week before surgery i was pregnant...so I ended up having surgery about 5 weeks after my babies birth... my dr recommended 6 weeks to heal...but I had a healthy pregnancy so ended up having it 5 weeks later...But the best thing about being pregnant was that I lost weight all the way through my pregnancy...i guess thats the hormones for you...

Thanks for that flabuless, I can't believe you lost weight all the way through your pregnancy, I have already stacked on the weight and it's only been 12 weeks, I am absolutely terrified that it will continue! :help: Tell me the trick!!!! One more question, did you have to stop breastfeeding after the operation? Thanks, JC28.

Depends on the surgeon, but it seems to be average around $3,000 to $4,500.

Good luck with your pregnancy, and I had a similar amount to lose and its worked really really well for me.

Thanks Jacqui! Was it $3,000 - $4,000 after your private health insurance or is that what you pay without insurance? That is fantastic that it has worked so well for you, how long has it taken to lose the weight? Also, I'm a bit naive here as I really don't have anyone to talk to about this, but is there much scarring after the operation? Congratulations on such a fantastic result! You must be so proud of yourself. JC28

Hi ya jc28...

I missed about 3 (12hrs) feeds while the anesthetic was getting out of my system...but apart from that my breast feeding returned back to normal...and the baby had no issues.

Hi ya jc28...

I missed about 3 (12hrs) feeds while the anesthetic was getting out of my system...but apart from that my breast feeding returned back to normal...and the baby had no issues.

Wow, that's great, so did you have to have anything special to keep up your nutrients??

no...nothing special..the body has an amazing way of adapting...

What did you have in the liquid stage?? Sorry it's 20 questions but I want to know as much as I possibly can!! I have an appointment with my doc on Monday and I'm going to ask her for a referral and I want to go in with as much info as possible. Thanks, JC28

I was banded 7 years after the birth of my baby, and am in Queensland... So I am of no help at all, but I just wanted to say "Hiya" to the newest Aussie on the board! :welcome:

hi jc28...

i really didn't do anything different...when I was in liquid stage I drank heaps of vege mix juices to try and get the nutrients I need...I also had heaps of milk based drinks ie milo/milkshake/smoothies/ etc I started on the mushies pretty early...earlier than my doctor would have liked so I just blended all my meats/vegetables together and mixed with a bit of milk and butter....my favorite dish was tuna morney...hmmm yummy...I had heaps of this. but baby was fine and continued to put on weight all the way through...I did give her one bottle/formula feed a day also just because my milk was a little down at around 5ish...but other than that it all progressed well!

oh and one more thing...I ate yoghurt like it was going out of fashion...i was eating yoghurt within about 7 days of having my lapband.