Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arrggghhhhhh!! I'm 4 1/2 weeks out and eating about 900 calories daily, that's including 2 Protein Shakes. I am down 22 lbs post op. Am I eating too much? My NUT guidelines only refer to Protein - 60-70 grams/day. I'm hitting 65 or so. I think my loss is slow....but I try to reassure myself that about 5 lbs a week is rockin'. I will check it out with the NUT tomorrow, but wanted different views from y'all. What do you think?? How many cals are you eating? TIA.

It sounds like it's working for you! I'm 4 weeks post op today and down 15 lbs. Last week I started averaging about 750 calories/day and get 60-75 grams of protein/day. I'm curious to hear what your nut says.

First of all, congratulations! 22 lbs is something to celebrate!

Everyone's body responds differently, but I wouldn't think of your loss as slow. I'd say your weight loss is at the high end of normal for someone at your starting weight and in our age group, based on the reports I've read here over the last year or so.

The ideas vary over how many calories are too much. Some subscribe to keeping it around 500-600 for the first few months, but others subscribe to the concept that you have to eat a bit more than that to really keep your metabolism rolling. Your best bet is to consult with your NUT as you suggested, though.

Thanks for the feedback.....will report what NUT says. :)

You're losing 5 pounds a week. That's not slow. Your calories are fine. Reducing it to 600 will create an additional 300 calorie deficit which if my math is right will allow you to lose 1 extra pound every 12 days. I don't think that will make much difference in your life.

At 4 1/2 weeks I was eating 60-70g of Protein and around 600 calories as advised by my program. Good Luck!

Arrggghhhhhh!! I'm 4 1/2 weeks out and eating about 900 calories daily, that's including 2 Protein shakes. I am down 22 lbs post op. Am I eating too much? My NUT guidelines only refer to Protein - 60-70 grams/day. I'm hitting 65 or so. I think my loss is slow....but I try to reassure myself that about 5 lbs a week is rockin'. I will check it out with the NUT tomorrow, but wanted different views from y'all. What do you think?? How many cals are you eating? TIA.

Hi Suzanne!!

Everyone is different, all I can tell you is when I was 4.5 weeks out, I was doing good if I got 400 calories in per day. I was worried but my labs have always been very good and the dietitian asked me how I felt and about my protein. She said do not worry unless I feel bad/weak etc. At six months I reached goal and was getting between 700 - 800. What I want to ask is this, what are you eating? I'm three years out and cannot eat a cup of food at a time. I am maintaining at between 1200 - 1350 per day, but to get that, I have several Snacks. I cannot get that much in with 3 meals.

This all trial and error, if you aren't weighing and measuring your food, I recommend doing that, I still do it. Also, logging your food on line is great! These three things, along with weighing every morning first thing....I attribute to my success, it's made it pretty easy for me.

Thanks for all the support. I did talk with the NUT, gave her a sample menu, and she told me to get a grip. I need to continue to be aware of portion sizes. She does want me to increase fluids.