Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just beginning my VSG journey

I'm Tammy ~ 45 yrs old ~ 5'8" tall ~ 295 lbs ~ size 24 (4X) ~ BMI 44.8 ~ Goal 157 lbs.

This is the beginning of my weight loss surgery journey. I have been to my first appointment (4/3/13). I have had my consult with dietitian, financial liaison, doctor and psychologist. I am now waiting to be contacted to schedule the surgery. I'm seeing Dr. Scott Stowers in Ft. Worth, TX

This is definitely not the beginning of my battle with my weight and health, of course. I've gone through the courses of action, diets, exercise plans, and every method I could afford or conceive of without medical intervention in the pursuit of fitness and health. Just like so many here, in that way we find common ground.

I am excited about the prospect of actually losing weight. I mean, I see it as a real possibility that I can be healthy and fit. It's not just a pipe dream! I see and believe the stories and testimonies here. Real people are doing this and it is working. I have hope again. I have real desire to the point of a constant lump in my throat as I contemplate my "after" pictures and how I will feel getting to that point.

I want to be a part of this welcoming, informative, friendly, supportive community. I look forward to getting to know new friends and learning from the advice and encouragement and insight offered here.

~Tammy

Hi Tammy

Im getting my surgery on May 3rd. Im so excited and nervous. Ive been having a little anxiety and I think its because of the unknown. I have fears of the surgery but I also fear being overweight and what the complications will be if I dont have surgery. Theres so much advice on this site. I love reading everyones experiences. Nice to meet you :-)

Hi Tammy

Congrats on the courage to start this process,yes its a journey but a great journey. I will have my surgery on May 24 I'm nervous and excited I'm in the DMV area my surgeon is Dr Shope at WHC....Good Luck and a speedy recovery.

Curvymama_2013 VST

Congrats Tammy!

I too have seen everyone I have been told to see and am now waiting by the mailbox to find out if my insurance will approve me. FINGERS CROSSED! Of course at the speed of my mail service that letter probably won't arrive until after I am sleeved, lol! Chances are, I will hear from the hospitals scheduling dept if I am approved, long before I see that letter.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Hi Tammy

Welcome to journey… Two pieces of advice: be proactive with the doctors and take the information on this website with a grain of salt. Every “body” is different and will have different results, expectations and experiences….

Hi Tammy

Im getting my surgery on May 3rd. Im so excited and nervous. Ive been having a little anxiety and I think its because of the unknown. I have fears of the surgery but I also fear being overweight and what the complications will be if I dont have surgery. Theres so much advice on this site. I love reading everyones experiences. Nice to meet you :-)

Hi, it's nice to meet you too. I so know the feelings your having of nervousness, anxiety, excitement and fears. It's a very emotionally charged process. It's stressful, with a hopeful and positive goal, but still stressful nonetheless. Right now I'm just wanting to get my date set firmly. I estimate around May 20 because that was the approximate possible date I was told at my first appointment.

Your surgery is so close! I wish you the best and fast recovery and may you lose weight fast and steady and get back to living healthy and fit. I agree the risks of being overweight any longer are much worse than the risks of surgery. The benefits are probably so much more than we even realize fully yet.

Congrats Tammy!

I too have seen everyone I have been told to see and am now waiting by the mailbox to find out if my insurance will approve me. FINGERS CROSSED! Of course at the speed of my mail service that letter probably won't arrive until after I am sleeved, lol! Chances are, I will hear from the hospitals scheduling dept if I am approved, long before I see that letter.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Hi Inyisa,

What a pretty name! Thank you for replying and I hope you get your approval soon and get scheduled and sleeved! I am hoping to get a call any day from the doctor's office...

Hi Tammy

Welcome to journey… Two pieces of advice: be proactive with the doctors and take the information on this website with a grain of salt. Every “body” is different and will have different results, expectations and experiences….

Jamilaha,

Thank you so much. I totally understand what you mean. I live in a rural area and this group is the closest to a "support group" I will likely have. I do realize we are each individual and unique in our body, our particular past and our journey to get healthy.