Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Journey So Far

I am a 24 year old married man and I live in Tennessee. My wife and I are adopting here in the next couple of weeks and I am working towards insurance approval for gastric sleeve surgery. I am 5'10, weigh 260 pounds with a BMI of 37.3. Here is my story to this point:

I originally was gung-ho on going to Mexico and having the surgery there as a self-pay patient because I have a relatively low BMI and didn't think that I would qualify through my insurance initially, but I have a family history of an extremely rare condition that causes cardiac arrest when put under anesthesia and I would MUCH rather have US doctors there if something goes wrong than have self-pay options in Mexico.

I met with a surgeon here locally who had me do the bloodwork, sleep apnea test, etc and he told me that he is confident that he could get me approved on my insurance based on family history, etc provided that I had a co-morbidity, which thankfully, I do in sleep apnea.

Because of having sleep apnea (thankfully) I will qualify for the procedure with my insurance paying on it (after 6 months of dietary visits, etc.) I have Blue Cross Blue Shield TN insurance and am really, really hoping that I get through this process and get it approved. I would be pretty down if I got to the finish line in 6 months with this dietary stuff, only to be denied and have to go to Mexico to get surgery self-pay, which was the ORIGINAL plan anyways.

I am going to a required Weight Loss Surgery support group meeting tomorrow night (well, it's Monday already, so I guess tonight) and am a little nervous about that. I am well known in my hometown and really wanted to keep it on the down-low that I am even having/considering surgery, but we will see how that goes... I am having my EGD this Friday, which means anesthesia and admittedly, I'm pretty nervous about being put under, even if it is for a short time because of the possibility of complications.

I am having some trouble wearing my CPAP that I was given for sleep apnea. It is super uncomfortable and I am a light sleeper so the sound of the machine is making it hard for me to sleep, but I am going to keep plugging away because I know that they will check that to verify that I am using it and that I am serious about getting the surgery approved.

My big motivations for having surgery are, honestly, 1) fear of the unknown in the future (diabetes, stroke, heart attack, etc), 2)my wife and I are adopting and bringing a child into our home, I want to be the best dad and husband that I can be, 3) wanting to be completely comfortable in my own skin and let the person that is inside of me that is confident and driven be exponentially compounded by me being happy with how I look on the outside and maybe that is selfish and crazy, but it is honestly the truth...

I'm nervous, I'm a little bit scared (really probably quite a bit scared), but I am educated on this process and am learning more everyday and think that having this surgery will change my life for the better, today and later in life and I pray that everything will work out for me, as I pray that it will work out for everyone on this forum as I know that I am not the only person with these fears and I appreciate so much all of the support and kindness that everyone on this forum displays to one another.

Sorry that this is so long-winded, that is not typically my MO, by any means, but I just wanted to put everything out there and appreciate any advice, suggestions, etc. Thanks!

congratulations on the adoption! I think you are very smart to stay here for the surgery given your family history with anesthesia. My mom is a retired OR nurse and she always says who you pick as your anesthesiologist is just as important, if not more, than the surgeon. I would see if you can ask around about who's the best and request that person. Also, in your case, it might be a good idea to ask for a pre-op consult with the anesthesiologist due to the family history.

The regular CPAP use will be extremely important for a successful anesthetic procedure--not just a hoop to jump through. It WILL make a difference. Your oxygen sat rate can be affected by sleep apnea, which is very important peri-operatively.

As far as attending the group meeting, I so know what you mean. I hate group things, and if you want your privacy and are well known in your community, that would be a double concern. Can you call your surgeon's office and ask if they have an alternative option? You may be able to get a private consult with the medical staff and/or may be able to do an online tutorial. My surgeon's office offered both and I skipped the group meeting. Post-op, I also don't do the group meetings--I see my PA and RD separately (in part because I'm a vegetarian, so much of what's talked about in group meetings doesn't apply to me--and partly bc I also like my privacy and am not big on group sharing type stuff).

Good luck...I'm sure that everything will be great, and that you will be a happy, healthy dad and husband as a result!