Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newb, Surgery date 1/10/2007 Dr. Hungness, Northwestern, Chicago

Hi,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I was approved by BCBS of Illinois, and just received my surgery date of 1/10/2007. I have been working with the Wellness Center at Northwestern Memorial Hospital here in Chicago. I figured that since I'm in line, I should join up and start posting.

mikeomando

good luck to you on your surgery! i'm also just starting my journey, but have yet to really 'start' it! i have my seminar monday, so i guess that's when i can actually post some exciting news! how long did it take you to get from seminar date to surgery date? what did BCBS have for prerequisities? i have BCBS of wisconsin, and am hoping i don't have to do anything that will take forever to get my band! talk to you soon!

BCBS rejected my first request for surgery and sent me a list of requirements.

The list includes things like co-morbidities, documentation of obesity for at least 5 years, and 12 months of a doctor-supervised weight loss program.

I started in May 2006 with the Wellness Center at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. BCBS of IL changed their requirements to only 6 months of doctor supervised weight loss, so the benefits coordinator resubmitted my request and it was approved. The surgery is becoming more common and accepted, but you have to document everything to get insurance approval. I am pretty sure that the reason I was approved is because I went to a comprehensive wellness program that covers all of the bases. You have to be weighed in once per calendar month, and if you miss a month you would have to start over. The program includes education about the surgery, as well as nutrition counseling. Parts of the Wellness classes are covered by insurance, and parts aren't, so you have to be ready to commit the time and some money to get to the point where you will have a decent chance for getting insurance approval. I was ready to spend the full 12 months, and was pleasantly suprised that BCBS of IL changed the requirements to 6 months.

Good luck!

Hi Mikeomando,

I am being banded on Jan. 2 with Dr. Nagle at Northwestern and have been a patient of the Wellness Center's for a few years. I'm a little nervous, but I think things will work out well. Let's keep in touch!

Hi 1721summ,

So you're 8 days ahead of me, eh? Congrats! I was just over to the hospital today giving my blood samples and getting some x-rays to prep for the surgery. I'm nervous too, but I'm also looking forward to it.

How did you get Dr. Nagle? I tried, because he has the most experience, but he was so busy that I would've had to wait until summer...

Does your date mean you have to prep instead of eating Christmas dinner? And what about new year's eve?

Definitely keep in touch, and let me know about any particulars. I personally think the Northwestern program is one of the best in the midwest, from everything I've seen, so I think we're both in good hands.

mikemando

Hi,

I too am fully confident in the doctors and staff at Northwestern. I'm not sure how I got Nagle, I think it was probably just luck.

I have my final meeting with the nutritionist today and will be giving blood samples later in the week to be cleared for the surgery. I'll find out this afternoon what my pre-surgery diet will be, so I'll let you know what to look forward to, if you'd like.

1721summ

Hey 1721summ,

How was your surgery? My date is getting closer and closer, and I'm doing okay on the pre-op diet. Here's hoping you're starting to feel better.

mikeomando

Hi Mike,

The surgery was fine- i went in on tuesday morning and left wednesday afternoon/evening. One thing you should know is that when you are on liquids after surgery-- you will be given 1-2 cup servings of broth, tea, Water and you are supposed to as drink as much as possible.

I was under the assumption that we only had two ounces at the most, but apparently that only starts with the mushies stage.

I'm still on pain killers, so I can't type too much. I hope your surgery goes well- it is such a relief now that it's been done.

Let me know how it goes!

Way to go 1721summ! It's great to hear you're doing well. I have 3 days to go, and I'm trying to assemble all the stuff I may possibly need. Happy to hear it's a relief. I'm just trying to get it over with.