Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first post op flying experience

One of my biggest peeves when I was a heavier person was flying coach.

It was so embarrassing to sit in between 2 strangers and very uncomfortable on those trans continental flights of 5-6 hours. Super embarrassing to ask for the extension belt. The stewardess always tries to be discrete about it, but I could feel everyone's eyes burning into me. I loathed business travel because of these issues as an overweight ( morbidly obese) person.

To avoid some of this awkwardness, I would pay the extra 200-400 to upgrade and fly first class. It certainly was a much better experience for my bruised ego, but the costs really added up.

Fast forward to today where I am at goal weight and will be flying for the first time as a post op in 3 weeks. It will be a flight to Hawaii for a family vacation. I am so excited to sit in the seat and, wait for it, wait for it, have extra room on my sides. No one will have a clue why I will be doing the happy dance the whole flight over, except my wife! So looking forward to vindication of a former fat guy on this flight. :)

I will always have empathy for other heavier people going forward as I will never forget my own prior pain. My approach is to treat them with care, respect and dignity.

Thats Awesome....so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!

That is fantastic! A Hawaiian vacation....I'm jealous.

Fiddleman

i totally get what you mean :)

some time ago i flew, couldn't buckle my seatbelt - so i tried to fake it - acted like the belt was closed

couldn't fool the attendent - she discreetly put her hand on the seat by me, she was giving me an extender!!!

that never happened to me before - somehow i was always able to buckle briefly (then unbuckle as soon as i could)

i was very upset over the situation i wanted to cry (i did inside :( )

i know how great you are now feeling :)

excited to ride on the plane soon for family vaca!!!! how wonderful is that

I also can related to OP that are heavy, i feel bad cuz i remember being in there situation :(

i sometimes wish i could shake some "heavier" people up and say, hey - listen to me - you can improve your life by having WLS - you don't have to continue life like "this" you can get healthy et al - but of course i never say anything

gotta throw in my NSV - hope thats ok

i went to GA about 6 weeks ago - i was assigned that middle seat between "2 strangers"

you should have seen me "hop" into that seat, my tush felt so good with all that space on each side of me :lol:

i didn't exactly do the happy dance - but you should have seen me grinning all the way to GA and back :)

Fiddleman - sounds like all continues to be well :)

BTW - I would love to go to Hawaii with you and DW et al

if you have a small suitcase - i can now fit in it :lol:

I'll even fly coach :lol:

take care guy :)

I also always hated flying for the same exact reasons! I'm down 75 lbs and my husband and I are going to the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks for our 10 year anniversary. I'm so looking forward to our flight. It's going to be a totally different experience! Have fun in Hawaii! : )

I also always hated flying for the same exact reasons! I'm down 75 lbs and my husband and I are going to the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks for our 10 year anniversary. I'm so looking forward to our flight. It's going to be a totally different experience! Have fun in Hawaii! : )

How exciting for you!

That's way cool Fiddleman. I hope you have the best vacation ever:) Hawaii is definitely one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Great NSV. That will be a great vacation for you and your wife. Enjoy the sunshine in your new self.

The last time I flew I made double sure to get an aisle seat because I knew I'd be overhanging my armrest. When I boarded and found my seat there was a guy sitting in it. Apparently a man and wife bought tickets at the last minute that were not together. Before I ever boarded they had arranged with the stewardess to switch seats so I had to sit in the husbands old seat....which was right next to another 300+ lb guy. So here we were, the 2 biggest guys on the entire plane forced to sit side by side. Needless to say it was not comfortable and I avoided planes at all costs for years because of it. Now I'm ready though.

Sorry for the long whiny story...just one of those really bad moments in time.

It was so embarrassing to sit in between 2 strangers and very uncomfortable on those trans continental flights of 5-6 hours. Super embarrassing to ask for the extension belt. The stewardess always tries to be discrete about it, but I could feel everyone's eyes burning into me. I loathed business travel because of these issues as an overweight ( morbidly obese) person.

To avoid some of this awkwardness, I would pay the extra 200-400 to upgrade and fly first class. It certainly was a much better experience for my bruised ego, but the costs really added up.

Fast forward to today where I am at goal weight and will be flying for the first time as a post op in 3 weeks. It will be a flight to Hawaii for a family vacation. I am so excited to sit in the seat and, wait for it, wait for it, have extra room on my sides. No one will have a clue why I will be doing the happy dance the whole flight over, except my wife! So looking forward to vindication of a former fat guy on this flight. :)

I will always have empathy for other heavier people going forward as I will never forget my own prior pain. My approach is to treat them with care, respect and dignity.

Thank you for your post, your story made me smile. I love travel and this has been my hangup as well, except I got over being embarassed asking for the extension belt (still needed it in first class) - I couldn't wedge my behind into a coach seat. I can't even imagine having room on the sides!