Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanta Know About Reflux Problems

Hi,

I Just Got My Insurance Approval! I'm Excited About It, Been Reading Here For A Couple Of Days And Keep Catching The Word Reflux. I Have Had Gerd For Years, Take Prilosec Everyday... Is My Banding Going To Increase The Reflux?

Thanks... Patsy From Leander Texas

Hi Patsy, welcome to LBT!!!

As for reflux, it is hard to say. There are many who had it prior, such as yourself, and once they have surgery, it goes away. Then there are others, like myself, who never had it prior and do now. I am going to speak with my Dr. following the holidays and have an endoscopy to check and see if all is ok, and possibly even have a slight unfill, even though I do not feel too tight in any other way.

It is impossible to guess how you will do. but I would imagine if the Prilosec is working for you now, it would then as well.

Once again---welcome!!! And congrats on your insurance approval---lucky you!!!

Kat

I think you should definitely talk this over in detail with your Dr. High amounts of reflux will seriously jeopardize your band. I think it would be best to fully understand the risks so that you can make an educated decision.

I had reflux problems when I first got banded even before any fills. Three times a day or more. It was painful and I couldn't sleep. I even went in to make sure that I hadn't slipped my band or damaged my pouch. The fill technician who checked my band said that I should try taking MUCH smaller bites, about the size of my pinky nail. I started doing that immediately and I haven't had reflux since.

I don't know much about your condition and I am sure that taking smaller bites wouldn't fix it, however I thought it might help knowing so that you don't add to the problem.

Reflux is a condition that if serious enough could cause you to lose your band, so I think you should ask as many questions as you can about what your Doctor thinks.

My band introduced reflux pretty bad. I took Pepcid AC and it subsided after about 2 weeks into surgery. You should be fine if you stay on your medication. Good luck.

Hi patsygrn

Welcome to LBT...I never had it prior to lapband...but straight after surgery noticed it coming on even before my first fill...fortunately it has calmed down now...I would imagine you will be able to continue taking your meds even after lapband.

:) becky

I used to have horrible heartburn and reflux. I took acid inhibiters and still kept Tums on the bedside table. Literally since the day I was banded the reflux and heartburn disappeared. I barely remember how miserable it used to make me.

I have had acid reflux problems for years!! I couldn't miss a pill without being totally miserable. I was banded a little over a month ago, and I have no problems anymore. In fact, my doctor has taken me off of my meds and I haven't missed them a bit! :clap2: Everyone's experiences are different though so be sure to discuss all the risks and benefits with your doctor. I know for me, it was the best decision I have ever made!! :biggrin1: