Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I'm going to get the sleeve this summer. I have one more nutritional consult and then I can schedule the surgery. I already know the surgeon too. Insurance is going to pay for everything.

I'm 23 and my BMI is 43. Dreadful, I know. I'm currently 285 lb. I like to play "guess my weight" with people and everyone says 230. I wish I were that weight!

I've been obese for years now but I wasn't always overweight. I was an active, slim child until I was 11. When puberty came, my weight blew up. My eating habits got worse. I felt bad about my body so I didn't dress well. I've watched through the years as I've slowly been less and less able and happy to do physical activities that I used to love. Like intense hiking and skiing and even swimming for long distances. Used to do them when I was younger but I can't anymore. I do still enjoy walking.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18. I have not truly ovulated in years. I am not really worried about that because my long term boyfriend and I do not want children. I even have an IUD inside of me to be extra careful. But I hate how insulin resistant I am. I already have to eat mostly Protein and low carb because carbs make me feel so terrible. I am on metformin but I just admit, I am not complaint with any dose over 1000mg because I can't stand the nausea and loose stools. Oh and the sweating.

How has regular diets worked for you? Terrible for me. I did Jenny Craig even. I liked most of the food but didn't see much loss. I've done several diets but nothing really works. I've had personal training too.

I AM TERRIFIED OF GETTING DIABETES. Health is my biggest reason. I see so many obese people at my work, with so many problems. They are all getting sick and dying early. I don't want that to be me. I want to be here for as long as possible.

My weight has snowballed especially in the past 2 years. I considered the bypass 2 years ago. I did qualify then. I did everything including the pre op weight loss but chickened out at the last moment. I was so scared of the potential deficiencies and dumping.

Now I'm a little older and I can finally say I am ready. I'm glad I waited because I think the sleeve is perfect for me and even just 2 years ago, it was not being touted much at all since it was new. The surgeon told me he would he happy to operate on me. I'm definitely ready.

I live with my very skinny but healthy eating boyfriend of 2 years, who is my best friend of 6 years. Our relationship is very loving and he is very attracted to me as I am now and we have a good sex life, I know he'll love the thinner me too. I hate how I weigh over twice as much as him. He's 135. He is supportive. My parents are health care providers and also are supportive.

I actually work (I'm a grad) at a hospital, the same one where I will have this surgery. I am basically a tech and an aide and I assist all sorts of patients, including WLS patients. I see them in various states after surgery, both good and bad. I've talked to many about how they are feeling and we chat. The bypass patients seem to upchuck more but that's my experience. I scared about the physical pain and having a bladder catheter. I'm a little nervous about having my surgery in the same hospital where I work, my parents work, and where I know everyone (the nurses) but I know this surgeon and he's top notch.

That's basically my story. My weight has not ruined my life but it has crippled it. I can't enjoy my life fully. I miss doing things I used to enjoy. I want to be able to kick this insulin hunger. I need to do this now while I'm young and not wait. I know I could easily get to 400 in the coming years. Why wait?

My weight has nowhere to go but down from here.

Welcome! Congrats on making one of the most important and rewarding decisions of your life! Very smart of you to do it now while you still have your whole life ahead of you! I wish this was available when I was younger.

Thanks! Yeah I'm hearing that a lot, that I should do it sooner than later. I want to. I don't want to be any heavier than I am right now and I couldn't imagine living to my 30s like this.

I guess the thing that kind of stinks about doing it when I'm younger is that I do relax with a drink (just one, I'm a lightweight lol) a few times a month with friends/boyfriend, and I'm giving that up for at least a year to heal. But still, not a big deal at all!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST