Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question re: PBing

Ok guys, I have a 2 part question regarding PBing.

Let me give you an example: On Thanksgiving this year, lunch went well - I was able to eat without any problems. I did notice though that turkey is too hard to chew so only had two small bites and stopped. Then for supper that night, we had leftovers. It only took 3 bites and I got that nasty, stuck feeling :D . Ok, my first question is how can that be? I mean I ate the same exact foods (no turkey at supper) and it went down fine for lunch and stuck right away for supper. That type of thing has happened before. Can anyone explain this?

Second question involves eating on the job. At my job, I work at an assisted living place and we sit down to eat with (or just after) the residents. Today we had beef stew. It was really good and went down fine until the second to the last bite. I had the subtle warning pressure that I should have taken seriously but didn't :o and took that last bite. When I did, I felt right away that this was not the right thing to do. I ended up PBing, luckily, it only took once and the problem was resolved and I could get back to work. But there has been times when this has happened and it lasts up to 45 minutes! So, my question is...why is there the difference in reaction to PBing (once compared to many times within 45 minutes)? Secondly, do any of you have any suggestions? Should I bring my own meals maybe? I don't know but what I do know is that I can't be having PB problems for 45 minutes while at work...that simply won't work!

Ok, the floor is yours...any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dee

No, actually it was left over ham and brocolli salad. Ham was cold. Thinking about it now...maybe the fact that is was cold was the problem...hmmm :o

Well your band is different at different times of the day and under different circumstances, you can easily tolerate a food once and then not the next time, that's entirely normal. YOu cant get comfortable with your band ever, it always has the potential to act in a way you dont expect.

And second time, I've done that once or twice, eaten past my body's warnings to STOP. One bite and its agony. I've never PB'd, I just cant, dont know why, I stand there willing whatever it is to come up but it never does. And I've had to put up with that pain for quite a while before something glugs through and just eases the pressure. Walking helps me with that. But that can always be different too - sometimes the pain is gone in 5 minutes, the next time it may be half an hour.

the only constant? Eat very slowly and make sure your band is cooperating before you really commit to the meal, lol. Dont just wolf down four or five forkfuls or you'll be very sorry.

Reheated meats are the DEVIL I tell you!!!! I can not eat reheated steak or chicken. It is simply too dry or too tough or something. I have learned to cook only what we will eat and keep some Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones in the freezer to take to work for lunch. They cost around $2 and I look for the ones with broccoli or green Beans instead of Pasta, rice, or patotoes. I think it was probably the reheated turkey that caused the problems. And the other example you give definitely sounds like it came from ignoring a stop signal. If I even suspect I should not take another bite,,,,I have learned to follow that feeling, lol!

I've heard over and again....leftover and reheateds are almost impossible for most bandsters...something to do with the texture. I've been okay reheating chili but everything else...ugh!! And, yes, bands are temperamental....tight in the morning, tight during stress, etc. Aren't we glad we took 'the easy way out' as so many people tell us?? Dang!!

I've heard over and again....leftover and reheateds are almost impossible for most bandsters...something to do with the texture. I've been okay reheating chili but everything else...ugh!! And, yes, bands are temperamental....tight in the morning, tight during stress, etc. Aren't we glad we took 'the easy way out' as so many people tell us?? Dang!!

LOL-yep, just sit around doing nothing while the pounds just melt right off. That's the life... :faint:

Thank you guys for all the responses. Maybe the "leftover" thing is the real issue. Seems really strange to me but anything is possible at this point. LOL

Do any of you have to eat with co-workers for lunch and have less than 1/2 hour to eat? I am still concerned about this because I have to eat my supper in between helping residents and talking with co-workers...this makes eating very difficult. Any suggestions? I am about ready to just bring a Protein shake but I know that will just run right though me!

Dee

First of all, you can have restriction at different periods of the day. My band is very fickle. Sometimes I can eat quite a bit (1 cup or so) other times I can't get 5 bites down. So what you are describing is normal. Regarding eating at work. It sounds like you need to slow down a bit. You should have pressure before you PB. There should be a signal. Regarding the 45 minute PB. That is a long time. I usually vomit once or twice then move on. You may want to ask your doctor about that. good luck.

I'm sorry to sound like a complete noobie but could someone define: 'pbing'

I am scheduled to be banded on the 28th but I am unfamiliar with this term.

Thanks.