Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inability to get anything down and vision problems

My husband and I were both sleeved on 4-10-13. I have progressed pretty well and am on track with healing. However, my husband has not been able to keep much down. His swallow test was "slow" in the hospital and now that we are 5 days out he is having difficulty with drinking more than a couple of ounces and what he does take in sits in his "pipe" and he'll spit it up every 15 mins or so. Very little is actually going in. We called the hospital and they just told him that they understand his frustration but that it will pass in time as the swelling goes down. Is there anyone else out there that has suffered like this? He just wants reassurance that he isn't going to die.

The second issue is that his eyesight seems to be getting fuzzier every day. During the surgery, they pulled the tape off of his eyes and tore the cornea in his left eye. That seems to be healing but now he's noticing changes in his vision where he's blurry (he was 20/20 on the day of surgery). He isn't on any pain meds so it isn't that. He has an eye doctor appointment tomorrow, but again, he's worried to death. Thoughts?

I can only imagine how dehydrated he is right now. Can you go into urgent care by telling them he's dehydrated so he can get some fluids in? I know that dehydration plays havoc on our bodies...... Let us know how he's doing. So sorry to hear about the tear in his cornea....... Very concerned..... :mellow:

He is taking Zofran for nausea and Prilosec in case of acid issues, but they aren't seeming to really do anything. It's just so frustrating because he feels like he's in the minority with having major problems and he's nervous about what to do. Being told to just wait it out didn't sit well with him either.

Zofran is most likely the culprit for the blurry vision...

I wonder if he should get an IV for dehydration though?

Is he on esophageal anti-spasm meds? Those would help me quite a bit.....when I would drink it would cramp and make the liquid wanna come back up! It really does pass though after a couple weeks after the swelling goes down. But I do advise him to go to the E.R and get some fluids so if he is dehydrated yet to make sure he doesn't. He will feel much better after that!

I was sleeved on April 10th as well. I had a "slow" swallow test too. I'm able to get in more fluids now and it seems to be getting better everyday. My sleeve tends to be the slowest when I first wake up and then it loosens up. I hope your husband is able to get fluids in soon.

The blurred vision is most likely a combination of the Zofran and the dehydration. He might want to try drinking warmer liquids, the warmth will help to reduce the swelling inside and therefore help get more in. If you pinch his skin and it stays up instead of going flat back to normal it is a sign of severe dehydration and will indicate a need for IV fluids. Good Luck.

Thanks everyone. When do you know if you are dehydrated? He's able to get in about 12 oz of liquids a day and the pinch test is ok too (we've checked that several times in the last couple of days). He's being pretty stubborn right now, but I'm wondering at what point I need to be the bully and carry his butt to the ER.

Is he on esophageal anti-spasm meds? Those would help me quite a bit.....when I would drink it would cramp and make the liquid wanna come back up! It really does pass though after a couple weeks after the swelling goes down. But I do advise him to go to the E.R and get some fluids so if he is dehydrated yet to make sure he doesn't. He will feel much better after that!

Hmmmm...no on the anti-spasm meds. We will keep that in mind when we talk to the doctor. I feel like another call is coming on. I'm worried that we'll become the trouble makers, but I think we deserve answers. They told us today that there isn't really anything they can do right now until the swelling goes down. So hope it gets better...and soon.

Here is a good link to a site showing the signs of dehydrations including what can happen from severe dehydration.

Don't worry about being trouble makers, if you are concerned you should always error on the side of caution and call, if the people you talk to can't understand that they aren't doing their jobs properly. Dehydration can be a serious problem, and I don't understand why they told you they can't do anything because they can always give IV Fluid if he can't get enough fluids. Good Luck.

I am so sorry to hear that. Wishing you feel better real soon. Maybe try some sugarfree ice pops to get some liquid in .

sugar free Popsicles? Slow and easy I would have at least 1 Popsicle an hour. They have good ones at Walmart that are tropical flavored. I am upset that anesthesia would be so careless, YES careless with the tape. They should be picking up the tab on anything eye related. I work in an operating room and that is purely unacceptable. Please contact you surgeon if he is unable to take the Popsicles he will surely need an IV to rehydrate. Keep us updated and good luck to you!

12 oz of Water is nothing.......I would not waste my time calling them, it's best to just go in and have an IV put in......I have an *** and when I felt a little off, I would go in and get an IV.....No questions asked. What I discovered is that when dehydrated, our blood gets thicken and it could damage our kidneys or cause a stroke. While there, the staff will run some blood tests to make sure that everything is in balance and then take the appropriate steps to correct the problem..... Please be a bully and get that man into the ER or urgent care.....Either place is good....... :)