Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who had gastric bypass. I sort of looked up to her and the progress she has made. I chose the sleeve because it was a better choice for me. We often discuss experiences that we share on this journey. She had her surgery a year before me so she is almost at her goal. She doesn't exercise and continues to eat fast food. When she picks up a few pounds she goes back to her doctor's orders. I have hit a couple of mini stalls since my surgery in January. The scale doesn't always budge, but my body is changing. I am losing inches it seems. I have been proactive and have been walking and going to the gymHas anyone else experienced this? Anyway, while my friend and I were talking she said she knew someone who was sleeved and they only lost 50 pounds and gained 30 back. I don't know if I am being overly sensitive, but as newly sleeved, I did not need to hear something so negative. I was concerned when she got her bypass and could have been more supportive. I admitted to that and apologized. I just think it was kind of messed up to say that to me when I still have such a long way to go.

Yeah - more sensitivity would have been nice. She probably didn't mean anything by it. If she had the bypass and is having success she will surely think that's the best option for everyone. I'm no professional for sure, but I think it's a lot easier to regain weight with the bypass than with the sleeve. Everyone can gain back tho if they don't behave themselves. Your friend may have forgotten how she felt at first since she is so far along. Or maybe she is just an insensitive ninny Either way, don't let it bother you! We'll be your support system right here:)

Surgery is a big deal. It's risky and for most procedures not reversible.

Everyone (almost) wants to believe that their way is the best / only way. Her opinion is very subjective and biased. Her motivation for sharing it with you is a whole other story!

All the best,

Deano

My wife has the bypass, I have the sleeve. We are both below goal. We both know others who are successful with the bypass and the sleeve. We both know people who gained the weight back both ways but more so with the bypass in our experience.

I do not want anyone to go through these operations and then have a futile outcome. Both ways can be defeated. Both ways can be successful.

Perhaps your friend needs to reassure herself that she did the right operation. Especially since she doesn't seem to have her thinking right about food intake and is floundering.

On the other hand realize that the failure of others has nothing to do with you. You will make this sleeve journey what it is by your own effort. If you doggedly persevere, you will be successful. Your triumph has nothing to do with the remarks of a so-called friend. It's your thinking that matters, not hers.

So scary to see how people can be so insensitive to others......

I doubt that her friend with the sleeve actually gained back 30 lbs.......She might of had the band......

Anyways, that is her dilemma not yours.....So please don't own this.....

You are learning new habits and changing the old habits that got you to the place where you had to make a decision. Now the ball is in your hands, so now you get to run with it.....Doesn't really matter what others say, the only thing that matters is what you say, thing, and do.....This is your life and I applaud you for all the hard work that you've done so far....>CONGRAT! :rolleyes: