Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couple new to the whole WLS. Our details, need advice!

2 People getting surgeries which one would work VSG or RNY?

Husband:

Weight: 360

Height: 6'1

Weight Goal: 220 (He is very broad.) All extra weight is in his stomach.

Eating habits: Bored eating, quantity eater, Sometimes emotional eater but not as much as the other two.

Current Health issues:

-Severe sleep Apnea

-Congestive Heart Failure with high Blood pressure

-Stasis wounds which leads to also joint and nerve pain.

-GERD

Past health issues:

-Adrenal gland removal (tumor)

-Umbilical hernia in stomach.

Thoughts on surgeries: Worried about get additional hernias with RNY. Does not want dumping syndrome. However, likes how RNY does weight loss. Does not know alot about the sleeve except that weight loss is slower. He has emotional eating sometimes and would like to stop.

Myself:

Weight: 322

Height: 5'5

Weight goal: 115-135 Weight is all over.

Eating Habits: Does not eat a lot and has done less then 1200 calories her whole life. Never feels really hungry and eats about 1 meal a day. Does get boredom eating sometimes, and a bad emotional eater.

Current Health issues:

-High Blood Pressure with high heart rate

-Celiac's Disease when I eat gluten I bloat and gain weight rapidly.

-Frequent sprains in back and legs, unknown reasons.

-Insulin resistance and already taking Metformin.

-PCOS with infertility. (4 chemical pregnancies)

-Severe GERD with esophagus damage.

-Digestive system fails and food does get stuck.

Past Health:

-Gallbladder surgery

-And all of the above.

Thoughts on surgeries: Thinking RNY would be good for my insulin resistance. I already have food getting stuck though. My digestive system is a mess, and when i do take metformin I do develop dumping syndrome on my own. I am worried about RNY and thinking about Sleeve due to wanting to have 3 children, and afraid of the Vitamin issues. Think the sleeve might not be an option since I already eat so little, and I have Severe GERD.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION!

We will be doing self-pay and going to Tijuana. Could you please tell me the expected recovery time as we have to drive 12 hours one way from our home and back. Is that possible even?

Was looking into A lighter Me. (Spoke with Rhonda.) We need many doctor recommends! Price is a factor as we are both college students and I would like to get this surgery done together. How soon could we return to work and class? I am assuming VSG might not be for me as I have severe GERD, and I don't eat a lot. I am afraid of regain as i would like to have three children once WL is achieved. SO HELP! (I am a little desperate since I posted on many other sites and never got responses.)

Sleeve for both, dumping syndrome sucks! I'm not willing to trade in my thick thighs for bathroom emergencies for the rest of my life.

Get the sleeve and work hard! Follow your doctors orders to a T (yes even the Water part and exercise! Commit to no more junk food or bored eating) MAKE it work for you, YOU are worth it!

Also: you don't eat a lot?? You may want to research your weight issue deeper- my friend lost 100lbs because she started thyroid meds (she had no idea she needed them)

Also: you don't eat a lot?? You may want to research your weight issue deeper- my friend lost 100lbs because she started thyroid meds (she had no idea she needed them)

My thyroid has been checked through and through. (Because docs look at me and assume thyroid.) I get under 1200 calories a day, never feel hungry really, and I am usually at 700 cal. Due to the Celiac's it slowed down my digestive system very badly. I am assuming my weight gain is due to Celiac's as I cheat a lot (when depressed) and have caused damage because of that. I am really worried about the GERD, I already lose my voice from it.

I also have PCOS w/insulin resistance which makes my body turn almost everything into fat. I have been overweight my whole life 100 lbs. at 7 and 200 lbs. at 13. My Mother restricted my food intake a lot but with poor quality foods. I am just super used to not eating. I get sick if I eat something I am not "craving". At this point I am tired... I sprain my back by just standing, and even though I have been this weight for 5 years. I am tired. I need something. I just don't know if this will work for me.

My thyroid has been checked through and through. (Because docs look at me and assume thyroid.) I get under 1200 calories a day' date=' never feel hungry really, and I am usually at 700 cal. Due to the Celiac's it slowed down my digestive system very badly. I am assuming my weight gain is due to Celiac's as I cheat a lot (when depressed) and have caused damage because of that. I am really worried about the GERD, I already lose my voice from it.

I also have PCOS w/insulin resistance which makes my body turn almost everything into fat. I have been overweight my whole life 100 lbs. at 7 and 200 lbs. at 13. My Mother restricted my food intake a lot but with poor quality foods. I am just super used to not eating. I get sick if I eat something I am not "craving". At this point I am tired... I sprain my back by just standing, and even though I have been this weight for 5 years. I am tired. I need something. I just don't know if this will work for me.[/quote']

You sound very well versed about your weight issues... Personally I'd say Sleeve. Sleeve is the first step in the DS (duodenal switch), so if sleeve doesn't work then you would get the second surgery and become a DS patient. I also heard sleeve can revise to RNY but I'm not 100% sure.

Had a few friends do RNY and they hate it. Dumping syndrome is gnarly. One single bad choice and BAM! Clear the house out.

Either way, your knowledge and willingness to prepare is amazing. You'll make the right choice, after more research it'll become clear which path works for you.

My thyroid has been checked through and through. (Because docs look at me and assume thyroid.) I get under 1200 calories a day' date=' never feel hungry really, and I am usually at 700 cal. Due to the Celiac's it slowed down my digestive system very badly. I am assuming my weight gain is due to Celiac's as I cheat a lot (when depressed) and have caused damage because of that. I am really worried about the GERD, I already lose my voice from it.

I also have PCOS w/insulin resistance which makes my body turn almost everything into fat. I have been overweight my whole life 100 lbs. at 7 and 200 lbs. at 13. My Mother restricted my food intake a lot but with poor quality foods. I am just super used to not eating. I get sick if I eat something I am not "craving". At this point I am tired... I sprain my back by just standing, and even though I have been this weight for 5 years. I am tired. I need something. I just don't know if this will work for me.[/quote']

I have heard some insulin issues resolve with wls. I don't know anyone with your exact set of issues, but if you are at you "end" you owe it to yourself to try something. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work but I haven't heard of anyone not having great success with this procedure. I would be more concerned with the complications of surgery than I would your success. I am scheduled for may 2 so I can't speak from experience yet. I have heard of multiple people for which the sleeve is the optimal choice over rny and the band. Make sure to take your vitamins!

You sound very well versed about your weight issues... Personally I'd say Sleeve. Sleeve is the first step in the DS (duodenal switch), so if sleeve doesn't work then you would get the second surgery and become a DS patient. I also heard sleeve can revise to RNY but I'm not 100% sure.

Had a few friends do RNY and they hate it. Dumping syndrome is gnarly. One single bad choice and BAM! Clear the house out.

Either way, your knowledge and willingness to prepare is amazing. You'll make the right choice, after more research it'll become clear which path works for you.

Really the only thing I am worried about is the severe GERD(which I already have and he has GERD) if we do sleeve and the fact that I under eat already. Bypass was my sure thing, but I might already have Celiac's which can cause malabsorption. Plus, I am only 27 years old.

I am already used to dumping as I have a med that I take that causes that. I also get it when I eat gluten. (Yet I still eat bad.) I was thinking the extra dumping might force me, but only 30% get it.

Really the only thing I am worried about is the severe GERD(which I already have and he has GERD) if we do sleeve and the fact that I under eat already. Bypass was my sure thing' date=' but I might already have Celiac's which can cause malabsorption. Plus, I am only 27 years old.

I am already used to dumping as I have a med that I take that causes that. I also get it when I eat gluten. (Yet I still eat bad.) I was thinking the extra dumping might force me, but only 30% get it.[/quote']

The GERD can/will go away with weight loss.

Its hard to compare taking a med vs re routing your intestines when it comes to dumping.

I am 28 and have had a band 7 years. Thank god I can remove it, I'd be screwed with RNY. Sleeve seems so much easier to deal with for a life time.

I work in Bariatrics so this is where I get my info... And listening to patients :)

You'll be SO amazed at all your health conditions that disappear after weight loss

We sound like we have similar issues, but you are more severe. I have been tested over and over for thyroid issues, but nothing. I always ate very little, but still gained. I did a lot of research about my options and I am so happy that I had the sleeve done. During my surgery prep time, I made the decision that it doesn't matter if I only lose 50 pounds with this, that is 50 pounds less than where I was! I was required to do a 3 month diet before surgery and I only lost 6 pounds. I extended my full liquid pre-op diet to a full week and lost an additional 5. I am so glad I had the surgery! I had it done on 2/19, so I am almost 8 weeks. I have lost a total, including pre-op, of 37 pounds. I feel better already. I have fibromyalgia and always took at least 4 advil every day just to deal with the pain. I have used a total of 3 advil since my surgery. I have found that if I have a good balance with my Protein, carbs & fat I feel so much better! My rheumatologist was so excited, she released me. My goal is to get to 165. That is still considered to be overweight for my 5'6" stature, but if I feel this good at 256, I just can't even imagine almost 100 pounds lighter! I take one day at a time. I do have reflux and had problems with food getting stuck. My gastroenteroligist stretched my esophagus before my surgery and my surgeon made my sleeve a little larger. I do take medication for the reflux, but have found I am so much better after surgery. You really do need to listen to your body. You need the first week after surgery to do nothing but learn what your body is telling you. You need to know when to stop. I had planned on being off work for only one week, but had to be off 2 because I got dehydrated. This is my main struggle, getting in enough fluids. I wish you luck!!!!

Really the only thing I am worried about is the severe GERD(which I already have and he has GERD) if we do sleeve and the fact that I under eat already. Bypass was my sure thing, but I might already have Celiac's which can cause malabsorption. Plus, I am only 27 years old.

I am already used to dumping as I have a med that I take that causes that. I also get it when I eat gluten. (Yet I still eat bad.) I was thinking the extra dumping might force me, but only 30% get it.

Hi and welcome..... Sleeve , I have had gerd for years. I got the sleeve surgery and have no regrets! I still have to take a daily anti acid pill. However, this is normal for at least 50% of all wls patients. my insurance required me to take 3 months of classes. in those classes we were told in most cases the sleeve is the best surgery. The facts are with the sleeve it is expected in 2 years post op for patients to lose 50 - 70% of their excess weight. With the by-pass the expectations are 60 - 80 % of the excess weight. In most cases even diabetics were recommended the sleeve. As any significant weight loss will regulate their sugar. So considering there is only a 10% difference in the amount of weight loss the decision was easy for me. Just a side note I had my sleeve surgery a little more than 5 months ago. I have already lost 40 % of my excess weight. It is true any wls surgery is just a tool..... the results come from how you use that tool. I hope this info helps! Best Wishes Tina

I think that two married people having it done at the same time is a great idea. You can support each other throughout the entire process. Definitely think the sleeve is the way to go.

A lot of great advice here and congratulations on joining this website! Your surgeon will be the best advisor as to which procedure he recommends. You both will benefit from either. It is up to you to know what you can accept and really handle. I have a friend who had a RNY and she looks and is doing amazing! You do have the option for conversion after a sleeve but, if you follow your teams advice you may never need to consider further surgery. I am happy with my choice for the sleeve. I listen to my surgeon and my nutritionist. I follow the stages of my diet too. Research, research and get to know your surgeon- how many he/she has done. It is wonderful that you and your spouse are doing this together. You can help each other tremendously. Again, congratulations and good luck to you both!