Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I've been trying to convince my family that having surgery in Mexico is fine despite all of their efforts for me to not go. Then a lady that works with my stepfather went to Mexico, had the Lapband and is in the hospital here in the US with major complications. They aren't expecting her to make it. So now my family is freaking out on me even more about going down there. I'm not sure who her surgeon was, but I'm trying to find out. But still, complications can arise regardless here in the states or Mexico! Last night my mom just looked at me shaking her head and said "Well, no Mexico surgery." I just stared at her and told her that I was still doing it. It's my life and my decision and I'm not changing my mind. It's really disappointing when your family refuses to support you, and tries to sabatoge you in every way possible :/

Oh i hear ya...my parents were the same way. They were concerned at first. However, my mom is a nurse who works in Hospice and she knows of people who have had success, so she isn't as concerned as she used to be..I had the same idea..if they dont like it...then tough..its my life..

I had my surgery here in the States, but I had that choice. Complications can happen here or in Mexico. I would be willing to bet the complication rate is the same. In all liklihood your surgery in Mexico will go fine. The thing I would worry about is IF there are complications, then what? What would happen then? I would be a little worried about being in a Mexican ICU. But I may be ignorant...

-Kendra

Just try & give them some time..clearly they love you & are concerned! Don't make this a power play you may regret, just try & give them some time & approach it calmly again! Hopefully you will find the other persons dr is different & you can show them some positive reviews for you dr & they will reconsider. As a mom I unsdestand their concern

I hear ya Jess! Evey time I see my mom she says "cancel the surgery" "for Mother's Day u can cancel the surgery" ... I just say back to her "why do you not want me to be happy" and she shuts up. I got the old story of someone at her work knows someone who had a WLS (she's not even sure what one) and its ruined her life. Big deal ... I'm not faised or even nervous (might be on the plane there) I can wait to be admitted and get this started!! Ps come in May x

I had my surgery here in the States, but I had that choice. Complications can happen here or in Mexico. I would be willing to bet the complication rate is the same. In all liklihood your surgery in Mexico will go fine. The thing I would worry about is IF there are complications, then what? What would happen then? I would be a little worried about being in a Mexican ICU. But I may be ignorant...

-Kendra

Kendra, The week before my surgery my doctor had a patient who developed complications after he was discharged to the hotel. (It was a complication with his blood sugar due to his diabetes). Although the hospital does have a small ICU, he was brought to a hospital in SanDiego for treatment. The surgeon went with him to the hospital.