Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Downsizing & dress size

It has taken me a year and a half and -84lb to come down from a size 24 (us) to a size 18 (us). I am interested in finding out if this is pretty standard or if I am just a slow looser...as I think I am.

How long has it taken for you?

Does anyone know what weight figure (ie 18lb) relates to a new dress size or is it different for everybody.. I am trying to work out how long it will take me now to get to a size 12.

:funscale:

I think the dress sizes have something to do with our height, also the way the garment is cut. I've lost 103 lbs in 8 months; gone from a 28 to a 22 which doesn't feel like much of a change....but I'm short and big in the middle. I've got a long row ahead of me!

Oh my gosh. Don't let the dress size get you down...100 lbs is a whole person. That's fantastic. I would worry about my skin not being able to keep up! B. Simoes

It has taken me a year and a half and -84lb to come down from a size 24 (us) to a size 18 (us). I am interested in finding out if this is pretty standard or if I am just a slow looser...as I think I am.

How long has it taken for you?

Does anyone know what weight figure (ie 18lb) relates to a new dress size or is it different for everybody.. I am trying to work out how long it will take me now to get to a size 12.

Flabuless,

84 pounds in a year is 1.6 pounds a week. I personally think that is fantastic!! Could you have maintained a steady losing 1.6 pounds a week without the band and without falling off the wagon? I know there is no way I could. The most awesome thing about those 84 pounds is they are gone for good and you have no way to go but down!

Congratulations on such a successful first year!

I am in a size 11/12 and I weigh 160. I am 5'4. I went from 232 size 22, to 160 size 11/12. I would be in an 8 but I have soooo much extra skin. ~Mandy

I started a thread similar to yours about a month ago.

I got several responses and the bottom line, people say is that you have to lose a lot more weight to change sizes when you are in plus size clothes. For many people it was taking 40 or more lbs to go down a size.

Once you hit the size 16's and below around 10-15 lost brings you down another size.

I am always hearing about people saying "I lost 25 lbs and went down three sizes" I was getting very frustrated because I have lost 30 and in the same size. The difference is, I started at size 22 and they started at 16.

Hope this helps, good luck, you are doing fantastic:clap2:

yeah that makes a lot of sense about being in plus sizes and taking more weight to move down a size, I am in a 20 now and have been since 30 lbs ago. I gained 30 that is and still fit the 20, just a little snugger. When i was an 18 and lost 15lbs i dropped to a 16.

I think it's true that the plus sizes take more weight loss to move down into another size...I am a little over 5'7" tall. I weighed 286 and wore a size 26 in pants. Now, I weigh 208 and wear a size 18 in pants. Here's where it gets confusing...at Target, I am just getting into their size 18's, which fit much tighter in the hips and thighs. On the other hand, some Bill Blass jeans in size 18 are very loose. I wear them, but I'm always yanking them up, and I'm about to give up with them.

So, size is a combination of height, weight, body shape, and manufacturer. How's that for a confusing bowl of spaghetti? Basically, I just try stuff on, and if it fits, I buy, regardless of what number is on the tag.

I think that a lot of it depends upon your body shape. :) I am 5'6" and now weigh 179 lbs but I have broad shoulders and I like to wear loose tops; thus I still wear a 3x but I look a lot better in them now. I have lost a lot of weight off my gut and waist and my boobs now stick out farther than my potbelly. :D This is great! but I still take a fairly large pant size compared to some of the other women who post here because I am thick-waisted. I always was, even when I was thin. This is kind of a drag for me. The NSVs come slower for me but on the other hand my arms and legs are quite slender.

For me, and several women I know, there is a correlation to a point. It ook me a lot of weight to move down my first few sizes. Now a size is about 20 pounds, but when you wweight 150, 20 pounds is going to be a lot more than a size.

Why?

Think of things that have layers, like an onion. When you take off the first layer, you don't see much of a difference in size. Maybe even the next layer or two. But then you take off a layer and the onion is dramatically smaller. And then you get to the point where one layer is all that's left. We're kind of the same way. It's the fat we're losing relative to our body size.

Thanks for the onion analogy. I never thought of it that way. I also didn't know about the plus size difference. I had finally come to the conclusion that I needed to get to regulars as quickly as possible because the women's were too big, but I wasn't changing sizes. I have smaller thighs and no rear. I carry all my weight in the middle. I now can wear regular 20's, but 1X fits as well. It just depends.

I think the bigger you are the longer it takes to see a difference in clothing sizes because plus sizes are roomier all around. I also think body shape plays a role. I started out at 255. I am 5'6 and a pear shape. My pants size is almost always a full size bigger than my shirts. I wore 20s or 2X in shirts and 22s or 2X's in bottoms. I am 185 now and wearing Larges in shirts and 14/16 in pants depending on how they are made. After I lost 25 lbs I was able to wear 20s in pants. For me it was about 25 lbs to change sizes initially. Once I hit a 16 it was about 15 lbs to change sizes but darned if those 15 lbs don't take longer to shed now!

Yeah, agreed. I can tell you now that 10lb would take me from an Australian 16 to a 14, but those 10lb are the last and are taking longer than the previous 65!

I'd lost 15kg before people really noticed - that's well over 30lb.

I started a thread similar to yours about a month ago.

I got several responses and the bottom line, people say is that you have to lose a lot more weight to change sizes when you are in plus size clothes. For many people it was taking 40 or more lbs to go down a size.

Once you hit the size 16's and below around 10-15 lost brings you down another size.

I am always hearing about people saying "I lost 25 lbs and went down three sizes" I was getting very frustrated because I have lost 30 and in the same size. The difference is, I started at size 22 and they started at 16.

Hope this helps, good luck, you are doing fantastic:clap2:

This is very useful. I have lost 35 pound and still wear a 2x blouse. Something is wrong in the sizing world.

It seems to me that you can't shop by size anymore. In some clothes, I wear 16 pants, and in others 14. No one who weighs 185 pounds should wear a 14, but these are stretch jeans. I still wear a 2x top which is weird because I bought some old clothes on eBay and 18s fit perfectly. I got a Pendleton suit in a 20 which fits, but is a petite so the sleeves are too short. I just don't know what to get. I weigh 185 (and have for months). My hairdresser weighs 170 and wears clothes a lot smaller than mine. I just don't get it. I really wish they'd just have a universal size that fits everyone of that size. That would make shopping a lot easier. But since I buy clothes on eBay, I save money and get some nice stuff. I've only ordered two things that were too small and that's because they didn't give the measurement correctly, so I figure I haven't lost much money and I have gotten some stuff in size 18 that is wonderful. Go figure.