Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I drinking too much?

Just sleeved 4/9/13, (so today will be day 4 by the calendar, or day 3 as the doc counts from first day home) and I'm worried I am drinking too much or too fast.

I'm on Clear Liquids only, and my doc's info sheets say to try for 10oz every 4 hours at first, but I'm finding I can do 10oz in under an hour, sometimes in 30 minutes! No nausea, sometimes a little cramping. No problems getting in Protein, and yesterday I took in over 70oz Fluid total.

Is this going to cause a problem?

My doctor practically did cartwheels down the hall when he counted my cups and determined that I drank over 80 ounces my first day after surgery. I could drink about 2-3 ounces every few minutes with no issues.

I'm now four weeks out and I can down a 16 ounce bottle of Water in four drinks spaced out over about an hour. (each drink is about four or five consecutive swallows) This is my normal Water drinking pace even before being sleeved so I don't feel any desire to be any faster than this and it allows for excellent hydration even when sweating.

We are sooooo fortunate that drinking came easy to us. I saw patients in the hospital struggling to drink even a tablespoon of fluid... I felt almost guilty to be pounding back the fluids soo greedily.

Oh thanks, that makes me feel so much better! I ride horses, and my biggest fear was not being able to drink enough to stay hydrated while riding in the summer. 16 oz in an hour would definitely help prevent heat stress!

I do feel lucky that I haven't had problems drinking. In fact, except for these four incisions and the lack of hunger, I feel no different than before surgery! It's almost a little freaky.

worried I am drinking too much or too fast.

Yaya

wow - you are drinking so much???

OMG you are such a lush!!! :lol:

ohhhhh, you mean your just drinking lots of Water???

thats ok then!!!! :lol:

maybe.........you might be cramping on an occassion though cuz you did drink something too fast????

but if "this" cramping is very infrequent - then don't listen to what i just said :lol:

not getting nauseous???

doc is pleased, and says no prob with how much and how fast - you are drinking

don't look for trouble!!!! :o

I think we all feel bad when we see other sleevers suffer with problems concerning eating, drinking, gas et al :(

you didn't have any problems - how great is that!!!! :)

the fact that others unfortunately have/had problems shouldn't "cloud" your happiness, success!!!

enjoy the start of your healthier, happier, longer life with the help of your new best friend, the sleeve!!!!

continued good luck during recovery :)

I was one of the ones following surgery that struggled to get even a tiny sip down so you are very lucky. The more fluids you can drink the better! I'm 3 weeks out now and can only get probably 30-35 oz. down.