Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have hurt my knee quite badly during an aerobics class and just walking on it is killing me at the moment. I'm sure it doesnt help that I have 257lbs grinding down on it ever step but I hurt it a couple of weeks ago and it feels worse every day and is now aching at night in bed. I'm starting to limp a bit now.

I have not bothered with the doctor as I'm sure he will say its weight related which it probably is so I've made an appointment with a sports Physio instead which is going to hurt. My problem is though I cannot exercise or even walk comfortably at the moment which is helping me gain weight fast. My surgery is desperately needed I just hope as I start losing weight my knee pain will diminish as its really disabling at the moment.

I had a knee injury last August. I finally went to a orthopedist who did some tests and determined that I had torn my meniscus which is a buffer between your thigh bone and your lower leg bone. He said it might eventually stop hurting, and if I could live with it, I might not have to have surgery. Six months later, I had enough. It never did stop hurting, and I was limping a lot. After having surgery in December, I've lost the original pain, since he trimmed the torn part and took it out, but I'm still having pain in that knee, to the point where I still can't straighten it out all the way, and it still hurts to walk, and aches at night when I am in bed.

I'm hoping that when I eventually have this surgery and lose weight, that the pain will diminish, otherwise, I'm not sure what I'll do about exercising. I used to love to walk, but can't hardly walk much over a block or two these days. Like you, I'm sure I've put on more weight because of the lack of exercise.

Take heart!! I too had a knee injury about 4 years ago. I had a torn miniscus also. I had two laparoscopic surgeries. These failed and 3 years ago I had to have a total knee replacement.

In part due to my weight, rehab was painful, long and not very effective.

When I went in to be sleeved 3 1/2 months ago, I still limped a bit, had pain and couldn't exercise.

Now I have lost 44 lbs and I feel great. It was so noticeable after even 20 lbs. I'm not limping. The only time I feel pain is when I'm going down stairs. I can ride my stationary bike for 20-30 mins each day.

Yesterday I had to carry about 40 lbs of groceries and, wow, did that ever flare up the back and knee pain. Who knew that losing some weight would make such a huge difference!

The surgery was worth it even if I don't lose another pound.

I can tell you that I had a torn meniscus about 9 years ago, and while it was better after surgery, it still hurt. However, it has rarely bothered me since I lost about 40 lbs after the surgery. It had only really bugged me consistently when I let my weight creep back up about 20 lbs. Other than that, it is sometimes mildly painful if I've been on my feet all day and walked literally 10 miles or more. Even then it recovers quickly. I'm hoping that will become even less of a problem as I start seriously losing post surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

I wish the insurance people would use this as a co-morbidity! It is taking me sooo long to go through all the requirements. Knee pain really is disabling. This morning, I nearly fell in the bathroom because of it. Getting out of the bathtub, I couldn't lift my knee high enough to clear the side of the tub. I tripped, and thankfully grabbed the sink to prevent a really nasty accident.