Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to bring?

Okay everyone! 8 days until I head to TJ and am needing suggestions as to what to bring. So far these have made it on my list:

1. loose fitting clothing (drawstring pants so the staff can have easy access) - wow that came out wrong

2. reading material

3. Snacks for my travel buddy

4. liquid tylenol and gas-x

5. e-mails and receipts

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!!

Slip on shoes a must.

If you are not planning on going back to TJ for follow up care then get a list of surgeons that will accept you as a patient from your surgeon.

Thanks Penni! Slip-on shoes have been added to the list. Are my feet going to swell? And thanks for the advice on post-op surgeons, but TJ is only a 45 minute hop, skip, and jump for me!!!

Hi Tina,

My guess is the last thing you wanna do is bend down to tie, velcro shoes on , or anything else that would cause you to bend down that far!

Going potty is interesting at first too!!

Good luck!

Baileym

_________

June 14th

Dang! I didn't even think of that! How is it getting out of bed? And going up and down stairs? Any problems with those? I have a pretty high bed, but I can still foresee possible problems. So how difficult is going to the bathroom? Am I going to need assistance for that? Maybe I'll tie a towel to the doorknob and pull myself up with it? Anything else I should be working out logistics to?

Its not THAT bad. LOL... I definitely did have to have my brother help pull me out of bed the first couple of days and while in the hospital. I was able to manage the bathroom, dressing and showering on my own though. My brother would have died of mortification if he would have had to help me with those tasks. He has O.C.D. and he is pretty germ phobic. Just boost yourself off the bathroom counter or something. Slip on shoes are a must because of the bend over factor. You won't need to worry about pain killers while your in the hospital, though your companion might need some tylenol. LOL again... Just don't take too much stuff, you won't want to haul it all home again after surgery. Hand held games might be nice. I got pretty bored while I was in there and got sick of the television. Meet other patients if there are any. You will possibly have a nice person to bond with later on. I email my fellow band patient friend weekly and its fun to keep in touch. Best of luck and well wishes, Teresa

Tina, shave your legs before you go. You probably won't feel like bending over to do that for the first few days. I wore a Mexican wedding dress, didn't want anything against my stomach. Do you have access to a recliner? You don't have to pull yourself all the way up from a flat position, like in a bed. Have you stocked up on your liquids for your postop time? You'll do fine and be back to your old self in no time (no, actually, your NEW self... a few pounds lighter! and knowing it was all worthwhile!)

Ahhhh......good words of wisdom on the shaving bit! Thanks so much. Stocking up on the post-op liquids this coming weekend. So far on that list (I'm a listmaker, if you haven't figured that out) is Jello, sugar-free popsicles, thin Soups, apple juice, yogurt, ice cream, chicken/beef broth, and gatorade. Any others that helped you survive the first couple of weeks???

I also heard that going on a liquid diet prior to surgery is recommended for a smoother transition for your body during and after sugery. Did anyone else do this?

Thanks for all the recommendations you guys!!:) :banana

CHAP STICK!!! You won't be able to have anything to drink before or right after surgery and your lips become soooooo dry. Also maybe a pillow for when you get in and out of the car

Trust me on this one... buy a king size heating pad. My heating pad was my savior. All sorts of shoulder & back pains and the heating pad was heavenly.

All doctors have different pre-op diets. Some doctors don't give any specific diets, other than "no food the day of the surgery."

I was told to juice-fast the day prior to my surgery. One girl had to do Protein Shakes for 3 weeks prior to her surgery. Regardless of what anyone said, I was glad that I didn't eat the day before, because that meant I didn't have to poop for a couple days after my surgery. I'm so glad, because I don't think that would have been pleasant.

Bring very little clothing because you'll live in a hospital gown. I wore the same outfit to and from the hospital. I left all makeup and jewelry behind. You won't be there long, and it's not a fashion show, so be kind to yourself and just pack one little bag with toothbrush & paste, chapstick, moisturizer and something to tie your hair out of your face cuz it's summer. I did bring some pink booties (socks) which everyone was jealous of because I got to walk around barefoot without getting my feet dirty instead of always looking for my shoes. Yes, slip-ons. I lived in my Birkenstocks.

If you sleep with a CPAP machine, bring your machine. Don't forget the doctor's payment and your ID. I didn't even bring my purse, just one little duffle bag.

Oh, and I brought one bottle of gatorade because they only give you ice after the surgery. I was sipping gatorade the minute I got out of recovery because by then it had been 2 days since I'd eaten. The next day they gave me juice and tea with honey.

Telephone: my cell phone didn't work in Mexico so I never talked to my husband the entire time I was there. Check with your cell phone provider. If your cell won't work in Mexico, stop at a Mexican drug store and buy a $20 phone card so you'll be able to use the hospital phone. Get your room number in advance and give the hospital number to family members so they can call your room direct in case you can't get an outside line. I had zero luck with phones there... just to be on the safe side.

How exciting... what a great adventure!

Hi!!

I'm being banded the 27th by Dr. O. & So is my mother-in-law(that is if I don't chicken out- Smart ban*&^& had more than enough scary stories this weekend to give me second & third thoughts)

And Dr. L' - thread didn't help-

but after care has been personally handled by me (found a local doc here in STL), though dh thinks I should go to TJ, it will be about the same cost & never will it show up on insurance

I bought some of those thermocare Patches for the flight home for my shoulders.

I hope I get to meet you

Jane

ps- I'm the idiot bringing her whole family cause they would die without me at home alone

That is funny!!! (Bringing your whole family) You'll do fine. Don't worry. I have heard good things about Ortiz. Best wishes to you, Teresa

I met Ortiz. Some say he's arrogant, but I think he's a pretty impressive fellow, so maybe he's earned his arrogance. Oh, and he's not bad on the eyes.. not bad at all. And very well spoken, and very professional and very kind to his patients, and his English is perfect. I think you'll be pleased.

You all have such great suggestions. My list just keeps getting longer and longer. I'm not bringing that much though. :)

Jane, I do hope I get to meet you too! I saw a picture of your husband and kids, so if I see them, I'll make sure to find you!

I've only heard great things about Dr. Ortiz, and if you want to come back to TJ and get fills together, I'm sure we can arrange something where I pick you up at the airport and we cab it in together. Just a thought!

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions!