Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daughter Seeking Information

My mom is extremely interested in the Vertical Sleeve surgery, and as a concerned daugther i am trying to gather as much information as i can. She is working with the " A lighter me" company and i am wondering who has had experiences with them? how was your surgery ? any complications? any concerns ? how is your post op? Thank you all for your input. I look forward to the responses to hopefully set my mind at east :)

Good for you to be seeking and researching.. But why isn't mom doing it?

Don't know who your possible doc is so I can't comment. Search in the search bar for alighterme or the docs name and you'll get plenty to read

Hi,

I am not acquainted with "A Lighter Me" but I will respond to your post.

My surgery had no complications, I have reached goal weight as you can see by my signature. The only problem now is occasional heartburn.

Here is a video put up by one of our members that talks about VSG in comparison to RNY and Lapband: http://tinyurl.com/ctmrt8g

This is a good article: http://www.fudiet.com/2012/03/carnie-wilson-has-2nd-bariatric-surgery-is-surgery-ever-the-right-choice/

My mom doesnt have a computer (heard about the procedure through a family friend who has been sleeved) and i have a family of my own so i dont live with her. I like to do some leg work on things like this that involve the people i love. Thank you both for your input.

That's so sweet of you to do for your mom.. You're a good daughter. I recommend you research in depth and then some. Don't go with your (hers) first and only choice. After you narrow your choices down then contact actually patients (here on the forum) for each dr and personally talk with them. Don't fool around.. Make sure your confident in your decision and you'll feel much better about the whole journey.

Research, research research.. You're putting your life in someone's hands and need to know you're safe. This goes for all drs even in the states

Good luck and feel free to pm me. I've been to MX for several surgeries and so have my daughters

Never heard of "A lighter Me", but I had the sleeve procedure two weeks ago and do not regret it a bit. I was back at work half days two days after surgery and went back to the gym today. How much does your Mom have to lose?

I recommend attending a local support group for WLS. A good surgeon will have info for that. It is at these meetings that you meet people who have had the surgery or are researching also. You will get a lot of information at these meetings. Meet with the nutritionist too. Good luck!

I didn't use Alighterme but several here did and they have only good things to say about them. I did have surgery in Mexico and had no problems. The majority of Mexico patients will tell you the same. If this is what your mom wants then she should go for it. I think the main thing she needs to know is that the hardest part isn't the surgery itself. It's the new way of eating that is hard. Make sure she fully understands the changes that will take place. There's lots of info here and other web sites that will give her a full understanding of a completely new relationship with food. It's not an easy adjustment but still well worth the effort.