Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with questions about hunger...

I am pre-op, in the early planning stages of surgery. I was wondering, in the first few weeks post-op, on liquids and pureed foods, do you feel hunger? (Actually hungry vs. the "head hungry/emotional hungry" that a lot of us are used to.) Once you're a few months out, does a cup of food actually make you feel full? Knowing your expereince would be really helpful for me.

Thanks,

Amy

Hi Amy and welcome. The head hunger is very tricky. You swear that you are starving and may pass out of you don't get some food. So you battle your way through it. Then a few weeks later you realize that it was head hunger and you wonder why you were unable to recognize it. I can honestly tell you that at one month out I am never hungry. I eat regularly because I'm supposed to and I do still want food, but it's not because I'm hungry. I just want it. Sometimes I get annoyed that I can't eat more ( go figure) because less than a cup of food fills me up. The restriction is unbelievable. I had dinner at 6 last night. I hadn't eaten much all day so about 9 I decided I needed to eat again. So I ate more then was miserable. It's just crazy trying to figure out this new way of life. BUT - it does get easier with each day.

Thanks so much for your response? Why were you miserable? DId you feel ill after you ate again?

I was miserable because I ate again and really didn't need to. The thought that I needed to eat more was just that - a thought rather than a clear signal from my body that it needed food. The head hunger thing is a battle that seems to go on and on. I had eaten about 600 calories for the day and by 9 pm felt that wasn't enough. I ate more and was so full I could hardly move. I'm planning on eating today at about 10:30-11 this morning. But I won't feel any hunger . I will just eat because I know it's time. Then I will eat about 4 ounces of food and be full. The sleeve is a wonderful thing and I am glad I did it. It's the battle with food that I fight inside my head that isn't any fun. But it's ok because when I eat too much, too fast, or eat the wrong thing my new stomach lets me know right away. It sends a very clear message that you just cannot ignore. I am now eating most anything I choose and that has been helpful. The liquids suck and the pureed food is gross, but when you move along to some regular food it gets a whole lot easier.

Hi Amy!

I'm four months out tomorrow and can honestly say that I've not been hungry. I follow the plan my NUT laid out, eat every 3-4 hours. Get in over 80 grams of Protein and more than 64oz. of Water. I still measure and portion out my meals for the most part. 4oz. is my norm and it satisfies me. I think one time I didn't measure, I guesstimated and I was uncomfortably full. And it takes time to go away. Certain smells will trigger a response, but that's a head issue for me. I can't go to my moms and smell her lasagna without wanting it. I've read (and experienced) that being dehydrated can also mimic hunger. Water has never been an issue for me, thankfully.

Being aware of what your triggers are will help in getting past the head hunger also. Once you are off sugar, carbs, caffeine it will be easier too.

Best of luck!!

The first 2 weeks I did get grumbles but it wasn't really hunger.. I think it was a mix of gas and stomach healing.. I try to weigh out all of my food to between 2-3 oz so that I don't make myself too full / sick.

I also try to plan out meals.. I try to have 3 "meals" per day and 2 Snacks. I'm only in puree right now, but i will run you through typical day..

Wake up have Water and take my heartburn med.

about 20 minutes later 2-3 oz of Breakfast (egg, roast beef hash, or oatmeal)

kill off a bottle of Water between Breakfast and lunch

snack (yogart or cottage cheese) if I feel the urge, usually skip

lunch (tuna, leftover, soup)

Water between

dinner depends on what I want.. tuna, seafood salad, stew, chili

Snack weight watchers snack sized fudge bar or SF ice pop

Water and sometimes a fruit juice like Cran Raspberry, cran grape or apple.

It doesn't look like a lot of food.. and I am early on (3 weeks today) but I am never really hungry, and if I feel like I am, I usually try to take a couple sips of water before getting food and that usually kills the hunger.

Some days I only get 32oz of water, but most days I get at least 3 or even 4 16oz bottles. I found that our tap water does not agree with my stomach for some reason, so we go to costco and get bottles. I'm going to get one of the britta filters and see if that helps.. I just hate using all those bottles.

In the beginning I was never hungry. Until 4 weeks. I'm "hungry" now, but it's never the preop -eat all the things- hunger i used to know.

I say "hungry" becaise even though I've been on a ppi for almost a month now, I'm starting to wonder if its stomach acid. Gonna try a new ppi when in run out. I so hope this helps and the "hunger"/hunger goes away.