Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had the lap bad for just over a year now an i have exactly the same problems that you have written about. Do you know if insurance will cover a revision?

I have had the lap bad for just over a year now an i have exactly the same problems that you have written about. Do you know if insurance will cover a revision?

All policies vary, however, most either do not cover revision will only cover it in the case of a failed band (failed meaning a situation that would require removal of the band, like erosion or a leaking band).

I'm revising from the band to sleeve in May. Had I known about the sleeve back then I would have never gotten the band. Lisa was dead on with all the band complications as those are all the same issues I have plus being on a liquid diet after getting fills/unfills. Every month when I went for a fill I had to schedule them a month out. I could never get in when I needed to. The maintence of the band is a pain and not worth it IMO. Also it will take several fills for you to get restriction so all the weight you loose those first months are all on your own! Useless! Can you tell I don't have a good relationship with my band? Lol Also the band is marketed as being reversible but the damage that it can do to you is not. Just not worth it to me!

Good luck with whatever way you decide.

I've had both read my threads go to sleeve lapband is not a good choice it wasn't for me anyways.

Both of my sisters had the lap band and they've gained all their weight back plus more. Now they wish they would have got the sleeve. Some doctors don't even do the Lap Band anymore. DONT DO LAP BAND!!

All policies vary, however, most either do not cover revision will only cover it in the case of a failed band (failed meaning a situation that would require removal of the band, like erosion or a leaking band).

I was actually having my Fill Dr put in an insurance request to remove the band until I found out that Dr Fernando Garcia will remove it for $500.

I doubt insurance woudl approve it. If they did...after paying for deductibles, meds, anesthestia, copays, etc, etc, I am sure I would pay over $2k in out of pocket.

It just does not make financial sense. I also do not appreciate Big MedPharma telling me when and how I can do something.

I am getting a complete unfill next Tuesday in preparation for surgery next month. Let the tummy all hang out

I am not sure it's depending on your insurance. My insurance is BCBS and they only cover ONE weight loss surgery a LIFETIME! That was another factor in weighing my decision, the dr said that if I didn't lose the weight with the lap band then I would have to pay out of pocket for a revision to the sleeve. Granted if I had any emergency complication they would cover them but absolutely NO revision surgeries.

I hope your insurance is better than that and they will help you.

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone that has helped me with making this decision. It's going to be life changing and I just want to be totally informed :)

I had my revision on September 10, 2012 and it was the absolute best decision I could have made. I had my band for 5 years and had many of the problems you have read here. Don't even consider the band; I now have a $16,000.00 souvenir!!

I also have BCBS and I'm sure they won't cover a revision unless its medically necessary or the band has failed. Either way I am getting the revision even if I have to pay out of pocket. I thought getting the lap band would be the best thing ever, but its the complete opposite. I wish I had known about the sleeve before, I definitely would have gone that route instead!

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and I am almost finished with my 6m pre-op supervised nutrition program. Today I went to see my Dr. he told me he wanted me to research the sleeve. I had been set on the lapband now I'm not sure. Could you guys please give me some advice :)

Initially I had intended to get the lapband. My friend, who'd been urging me to get WLS, had gotten one a few years earlier. She had lost 60 lbs and didn't die. Both good signs. After researching a little, I decided to go with the sleeve. The 'forced' Portion Control is what I needed. Plus, going back for all the fills etc did not appeal to me. I am so glad I did this, never a minute of buyer's remorse. I chose the right procedure, at least the right one for me. My friend has since gained some of her weight back, with the band you do not lose your hunger like we "sleevers" do, so she still has that 'I'm starving' stuff to deal with. I only know two people personally who have gotten the band, the second friend doesn't really count, she had to have hers removed 6 weeks later due to complecations. I hope this helps, a little anyway.

Thank you!! It really does help me feel assured I'm doing the right thing, I feel as though I am. There are always those downers that tell you "it's a huge mistake and you could die!" I feel the stats are pretty good :)

I was also deciding between the two...I have done my research, and with my insurance covering o ly 1 per lifetime 100% I went with the one that I felt I would have most success with. Sleeving may 24

I also have BCBS and I'm sure they won't cover a revision unless its medically necessary or the band has failed. Either way I am getting the revision even if I have to pay out of pocket. I thought getting the lap band would be the best thing ever' date=' but its the complete opposite. I wish I had known about the sleeve before, I definitely would have gone that route instead![/quote']

I have BCBS and they didn't give me a problem with my band to sleeve revisions! I think it depends on what the company you work for wants to cover more than it is an insurance companies decision!

I have BCBS and they didn't give me a problem with my band to sleeve revisions! I think it depends on what the company you work for wants to cover more than it is an insurance companies decision!

I think your right. Two of my husbands co-workers have had WLS surgery using our insurance, I just always love to hear from people that it was a breeze with the insurance company :)