Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

But i dont wanna!

I've been workin out with handweights since I was 13 years old. I've got my moms old routine down pat. (Much like body for life) I used I love it. Been to the gym in the last, that was fun too. I'm a big introvert. I'm also not much of a people person and I'm private. I went at 4 am before work back in the day and there was one guy and a grandma there that early.

Now? I'm a stay at home mom. Cardio ( walk at home dvd's) make me feel like I'm gonna throw up wether I do it On an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. With Water, without water, before I eat, after I eat. It doesn't matter.

Walking at the lark up and down the hills does it for me, but I can't do that often and honestly, I get bored quicker than a gnat.

Hand weights, I started back up today. I hate it. It hurts, I don't like to hurt LOL. It's extremely boring, counting to 15 (or whatever) and then again and again and again.

I Also am finding it very hard to work it into my schedule. This is partly an excuse, I'm aware of that, but it is hard. Especially as much as I hate it. I loathe it. I'd rather do my laundry and give the same kid 3 baths a day than work out.

I've actually tried praying about it. I know how good it is for me for my muscles, to fill out this flappy skin I'm going to get. Et cetera.i just. Can't. Stay. Focused.

I don't have money to go buy new workouts or a gym membership and I'm in my WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY, and I'm angry at myself for ring such a cotton headed ninny muggins. Sigh.

I do not even know the point of this post really. I am disappointed in myself. If I can't do this on day one, I'm pretty sure there won't be a day 365 or a day 500 or a year five. Kwim?

Maybe I will just have to be satisfied with a decent weightloss and an average pant size instead of the skinny me I'd pictured. I sure don't seem to have it in me to stick to anything for life.

I think you have to figure out what exactly it is you want from all this. I decided that if I was going to have some Dr haul my big ol butt up on a table a cut out 85% of a perfectly good stomach, then I think I owed it to myself to push a little harder, wake up a bit earlier and do the things that I needed to do in order to reach my goal. Part of how we all got here is because we didn't commit to being healthy doing the things that we should have done all along. Our excuses were it was "too hard", "it hurts" and "it's boring". My 13 year old uses the last one every time she is in a situation she doesn't want to be in. Working out doesn't have to be expensive, you can find a ton of FREE workout videos on You Tube. A walk in the park is usually free as well.

Honestly and I mean this is a very sincere and caring way....pull yourself together okay?. You can do this if it is something that you really want. Yes there are days where motivation wanes, but you can't let that stop you. If you think where you are now, is as good as it gets, okay that's all good then. But I think you probably want more than that. The surgery was a single first step to a long journey. How you go down that path and where you end up is going to be what defines your success I really hope that you dig a little deeper and go a little further. I know that your prize at the end of the path will be so much more enriched. -- Good luck!

There are plenty of resources for workouts online to give you a little variety... The key is to find something you love. I have become a certified Zumbaholic over the past year. I am so upset right now that I have to sit out classes until I heal! I never thought I'd say that about exercise. I also love weight training - again, have to sit it out for a while. You really just have to find something you like and it won't feel like drudgery. :)

I am 4 months out and have not started to exercise yet. I keep making excuses and I have all kinds of time. I am retired and don't have to care for anyone except DH. I am a chronic pain person and exercise just increases the pain. I know I need to and I know I have to also but please tell me how do I start? Any suggestions?

Even if your not a people person, it helps to have a work-out buddy. Less boring and it gives you the accountability that you need to stick with it.

You don't mind chatting on VSG. Maybe there's someone on here, that lives close enough to buddy up with?

I'm in North Mississippi, where are you?

Not sure where your pains are, but have you looked into Water aerobics? That is a low impact type of thing that most Y's or fitness centers with a pool offer. If walking isn't too painful, just walk. If you go to the grocery, park as far away from the front do that you can. Push the cart a couple of laps around the store before you start on your list. If you have access to a mall nearby, most open their doors early for mall walkers. Just putting one foot in front of another and repeating is going to be better than not doing anything at all. Anything that you can do that will elevate your heart rate counts, resistance bands are another good way to get flexibility training and strength training without putting pressure on painful joints.

I am 4 months out and have not started to exercise yet. I keep making excuses and I have all kinds of time. I am retired and don't have to care for anyone except DH. I am a chronic pain person and exercise just increases the pain. I know I need to and I know I have to also but please tell me how do I start? Any suggestions?

Are you a senior citizen? My mom belongs to a program thru her Medicare plan called Silver Sneakers, where she can go to certain community centers/fitness centers and take exercise classes for free. Or if you don't have that, lots of senior centers offer things like chair exercise to get you started. You could join the local Y and take Water aerobics or go swimming or do a low-impact workout. You and your husband could go or walks together. You could walk to run errands if you're near your local downtown--like to take a piece of mail to the mailbox, or walk to/from dinner or church, or to pick up something at the drug store.

Amy, could you get your kids involved with your new active lifestyle? I'm not sure how old they are, but you could pull them in a wagon or have them ride alongside you on their bikes, or you guys could kick a ball around in the back yard...etc. Especially with the weather getting nicer. You could do exercise videos and have them next to you doing stuff. You could make it a game and teach them great new habits at the same time....

Lots of good advice has been given.

I channel my emotions to give me motivation to exercise. My strongest ones at the present time are anger and love.

Anger: mad the doc who said I would be dead two years ago, mad because I hurt whether I exercise or not, mad at fat, mad about getting old, etc.

Love: love God and want to take care of His temple, love my wife and want her to live with a fun guy, love my kids and grandkids and want them to bask in my wisdom for many years ahead :D , and love myself and want to help me feel good about me.

Emotions motivate. Fall in love, get mad,... fight!

Josey Wales: Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

I walk at the lark w the kids about once a week. I could make it more often, maybe twice a week. Any more and I'm afraid ill burn myself out on it.

With walking in the park, I can stop for a minute here and there and I don't get my heart rate quite as high as it gets w walk at home dvd's. those are good workouts but sleevie starts feeling all kinds of pukey. Maybe I'll try again now that a week has passed. Things change quickly in these first few weeks after surgery.

. I don't mind cardio, I really don't, it's weights that just bore me to tears. I have ADD though and find it really hard to focus. Bad thing is, I need that the most. I'll probably just fake it til I make it. I always wish I was moving more when I do weights.

I'm in Missouri. I take my kids as my buddies. :)

I have an 8 lb kettle bell I've never really done anything with. Maybe I can find some moves to do with that on YouTube. I also have a flight of stairs in my home I can run up and down x Amy of times daily.

Gmanbat- GREAT INFO!! I'm so using that.

I appreciate all the input and ideas, and kicks in the rear. I really do. (Hug)

Oh and I DO feel amazing after a workout! Maybe I'll learn to love it again!?

Lots of good advice here. I channel my emotions. My strongest ones at the present time are anger and love.

Anger: mad the doc who said I would be dead two years ago, mad because I hurt whether I exercise or not, mad at fat, mad about getting old, etc.

Love: love God and want to take care of His temple, love my wife and want her to live with a fun guy, love my kids and grandkids and want them to bask in my wisdom for many years ahead :D , and love myself and want to help me feel good about me.

Emotions motivate. Fall in love, get mad,... fight!

Josey Wales: Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

Mmmm.... Clint Eastwood.... now THERE'S motivation!!!

Amy,

I have a 20 pound kettlebell that I take on walks with me. It is amazing the different moves you can do with it while walking. I switch hands and move it around my body, lift it overhead, hold it out in front of me, the variations are up to your imagination, any move helps. It makes the walks more fun and puts the legs to the test adjusting for the weight moving around. I also like to make the neighbors stare at me. I started out with a much lighter weight.

Hahaha I'd probably watch and say "dang! Look at that guy go!!! At least he's doing something about it!!" 20 lbs is very impressive. That's actually a really good idea. :) thanks!