Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really need advice, I'm being sleeved on May 21st and I'm a singer in a hard working rock covers band. When we gig I'm normally on stage for around 2.5 hours belting out pretty heavy rock and punk covers. I need to know when I can safely resume this job after surgery? My surgeon told me to take 4 weeks off afterwards but someone from another forum implied that would not be long enough.

I realise that unless you sing, this will be hard to quantify but to help, it's a bit like going to the gym for a medium workout (cross trainer / bike / rower) for about 2 hours (but with alcohol :) )

So realistically for those who've been sleeved, when do you think I will safely be able to resume my gigging schedule as I was only going to cancel 4 weeks worth of gigs? I have a band that rely on me to get paid so there is quite a bit of pressure on me to resume my normal life pretty quick but I don't know if I'll have the energy from what I've been reading?

Thanks if you can help me out?

I went back to work after 2 weeks, but I only have a desk job. I felt pretty run down and had low energy for the first five weeks after surgery. But that's just my experience.

thanks for your reply.. how long before you felt fit and back to normal energy levels, to the point you could have done a gym workout?

Something clicked at 5 weeks for me and I had (and still have) tons of energy. I think I started adding more carbs to my diet, and that helped with my energy and mood.

My surgeon's office said that I would feel pretty much normal at 6 weeks and it really was about 5.5 to 6 weeks until I did. I thought I felt normal at about 4 weeks but I didn't realize until I felt so much better at 6 weeks that what I felt at 4 weeks wasn't yet normal. My surgeon's office let's you start organized exercise classes at 6 weeks and strength training at 12 weeks--so I'm thinking at 6 to 8 weeks you should be able to rock the night away comfortably. Just remember that you need even more hydration than you used to--so I would really hydrate a lot before you perform on a given day and keep the fluids going throughout the night. And you might want some carbs before your gigs and Protein after, just like when you do a hard workout.

Since I am only 9 days post-op I can't add much except to say that I am still bloated, sore and exhausted after a stroll around the grocery store. I would say that for a hard rock night you better give yourself a good 4 weeks - and if it happens sooner, consider it a bonus!

Good luck!

i was back to training brazilian jiu jitsu after 4 weeks. 1.5hrs 4x/week. getting started was rough but after a week or so i was doing well.

I could have gone back to work the 4th day after surgery (I also have a desk job), but I had taken that week off and went back the Monday after. By the 5th day, I was already exercising (cardio). I had tons of energy and couldn't sit still. That energy only lasted a week. I was going to the gym (again just cardio) 5 days a week and had to walk a bunch of places while my car was in the shop. I didn't start any weight training and sit ups until 3 weeks out because I just didn't want to risk hurting my sleave. Everyone's healing time is much different. I never had to use any pain meds (even while in the hospital).

I could have gone back to work the 4th day after surgery (I also have a desk job), but I had taken that week off and went back the Monday after. By the 5th day, I was already exercising (cardio). I had tons of energy and couldn't sit still. That energy only lasted a week. I was going to the gym (again just cardio) 5 days a week and had to walk a bunch of places while my car was in the shop. I didn't start any weight training and sit ups until 3 weeks out because I just didn't want to risk hurting my sleave. Everyone's healing time is much different. I never had to use any pain meds (even while in the hospital).

Same here..I could have gone back to work in a couple days. I work with children and it was vacation time so I didn't . I was at the gym within the week doing treadmill and bike.

It will be different for everyone. I didn't have any pain what so ever and no other issues either. It waw as if I didn't have surgery at all. Strange how that works

My job is pretty physical and I'm returning tomorrow. My surgery was on March 25. I think you would be fine. I'm raring to go. Enough tv, and sitting around. There are walking teams through work that start tomorrow and am planning on participating fully. Good Luck and hope you are successful with the band.

I went back to work after 4 weeks (desk job) but it was another week before I could get through a trip to the gym. for that 4th & 5th week I felt like I was walking in mud while on the treadmill. But those trips to the gym were after a full 8 hour day of work.

I think 4 weeks is more than enough. :)