Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting research

Hello all! This is the first time I have posted on a message board, but I have already learned so much just from reading your posts. I am just beginning to research lap banding, my cousin was banded about 2 months ago. I have many reasons for looking into the lap band. I have PCOS, disc degeneration in my back, and high cholesterol. Right now the biggest question in my mind is.....do I need something so permanent??? I am an emotional eater and I don't see that changing. I look forward to talking with all of you!

Good luck with your research! This site is a great resource for information and support.

If you need your portions controlled and are tired of being a risk for a heart attack or stroke , just maybe? I think you need to do more soul searching.

edie

Hi and welcome to LBT! I too have PCOS, and have found that the weight loss has actually helped diminish many of my symptoms. As far as the question as to whether you need something so permanent, that is something that only you can truly answer. Have you tried numerous other diets? I tried weight watchers about 8 times, as well as about 10 other different weight loss methods. I was successful on all of them for a period of time. However, something would always happen to cause me to go off my diet. Then, I would end up gaining back everything I had lost plus extra pounds. With my band, I do not diet, count points, calories or anything else anymore. I just listen to it and when it gives me the sign that I have had enough, I quit eating. I think many of us at times are emotional eaters as well. And, I still like me cheetos and chips and dip. The difference is, 98% of the time, I make healthier choices. And when I do treat myself, or find myself eating in response to my emotions, my band is there and does not let me get out of control with what I eat. For that, I am grateful for my band and its permanency. Even when I fail myself, it will be there for me helping me along.

If you need your portions controlled and are tired of being a risk for a heart attack or stroke , just maybe? I think you need to do more soul searching.

edie

I need more soul searching for sure! I think that is part of the research process and I am just beginning it. It looks like you have had great success, but didn't you have questions and concerns in the beginning?

That is so good to hear that the surgery has helped your neck and back problems. I am basically living on pain meds and muscle relaxers. I had back surgery in 2001 and have since had 6 epidurals- nothing seems to help. It has been so difficult to keep weight off when you can't do much because of the pain. Everyone says "build your core", but that has been easier said then done. I want this surgery, if only to get the weight off for my back. I know that it would help many other things as well. Good to hear from a fellow back sufferer.