Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lump In Your Throat Then...

This is getting to be a real problem! Whenever I eat or drink NORMALY... I start to feel like a lump in the middle of my throat that will not go away until I bring it up! I know it's gross believe me and I know it is dangerous! It has gotten so bad that I need to keep a cup at my bedside because I wake up choking at night. My band had been way too tight last month and got a sizable unfill..I only have 1.8 in a 4cc band now.. so I do not feel that is the enemy. I have been staying on liquids and mushies and I still get the lump that wont go away and makes me feel like I am going to gag. About the only thing I have been able to keep down for the past month is Wendys Frostys and chicken Noodle Soup..and yes thanks to that diet I have gained not lost weight even with all this misery. Has anybody else gone thru this too? What did you do? :help:

Yes, I did,I had esophagitis. I got esophagitis from a horrible PB and did not follow the rules after a PB. Have your doctor take a look at your esophagus. If you are still bringing up food this often, you are too tight. Only living on liquids is not how the band was designed to work. Don't risk slippage, call your doctor, go in for a small unfil of .2 or .3 cc's. Give your esophagus a rest. Otherwise this will just continue as a vicious cycle. My band eroded. I will never know if my esophagitis played a role in my erosion or not. They were several months apart.

I only have 1.8 in a 4cc band now.. so I do not feel that is the enemy

1.8 cc's in a 4 cc band is a sizeable fill for some and not for others but if you can not eat solids without bringing it up then I would say it is your enemy. Is your Dr. aware of any of this? I ask because I know from my own experience that if I could not eat solids without bringing it up my Dr. would have me is ASAP for an unfill. Call your Dr. be wise, do not jeopardize your band, this is to be a lifelong tool. You are fortunate to still have yours take care of it. What good is it to you, if you are not losing weight and living on liquids? This is not how the band is suppose to work.

Thank You La madam, the advice really means alot from someone with your experience. I have a Dr's appt on the 6th. Until then I am beiing very careful to try not to become sick, Clear Liquids only. Thanks again!

Has anybody else gone thru this too? What did you do? :help:

I had this same problem too even before my first fill. I constantly felt like I had a lump in my throat.

It turned out that it had been caused by not taking small enough bites. Therefore I was having terrible reflux and the pain from the reflux was irritating my esophogus causing it to feel like I had a lump in my throat. I was advised to take bites the size of my pinky nail and the problem magically went away. Now, I am two fills later and I have never felt that way again.

La_Madam helped me out on this same issue. I kept feeling like I had something stuck in my throat and it was horribly uncomfortable. I immediately went back to liquids only (except I stayed on skim milk) and I think it helped to lubricate my throat and tummy but was slightly heavier than Water or broth and so it helped to push the food down.

I had it happen first with beef and then with chicken and what I learned is that if I take a bite that is larger than literally like a McDonalds straw, and I fail to chew it for at least 30 seconds I have that happen. If I take the time to chew tiny bits very well I do fine.

ANother thing I found I was doing was that I would start out eating very slow and chewing very well and then I would be like 30 minutes into eating and I would get tired of taking the time and I would start to eat too quickly. What is working for me is watching the clock. If I eat a bite of meat that is the size of that straw then I chew at least a full 30 seconds. If it is kind of dry I chew it longer. If it is not like liquid in my mouth by the time I am done with that I chew longer or I spit it out. Even with sweet potatoe mashers I have to chew and get it to liquid to take it down and be comfy afterwards.

The bonus is that if I eat (this am for example) one egg with two ounces of meat added I will work on that meal for a full one hour program - commercials. If I do that I am good and because it took so long to eat it I am full for hours.

I am still figuring out how to use the band and not work around it. I want it to teach me how to eat right and I have to take more time to eat is the first step. For me that means using a program to time my eating. I turn on the tube and watch a show and eat my small amount of food in a one hour time frame. That helps me to not get bored and want to hurry through a meal and it keeps me from feeling that stuck sensation (which is awful!!!)!

Good Luck to you!

Okay now, I am still waiting on approval and after reading this it makin me more NERVOUS!!!! Should I or shouldn't I????:faint:

Okay saw my Dr and he basicly bottomed lined my butt! First no fill before the holidays, he is afraid with my record I would feel too tight and ruin my Xmas! He just did not want to chance it with my esophogas being irritated. Just like has been said to me on this site, I have to take the tiniest of bites EVER and then chew till it's goo, and then chew some more! I also have to get off the Soup and ice creme diet that you can so easily fall into when your band and espohagas get swollen! I also was all proud to say I had been keeping my calories just under 2000 and I thought he was going to fall off his chair!!! HA! I did not know I am supposed to be at 1000 to 1200! Man is life getting ready to change for me!!!! I am on this site all the time and I never heard that! Ignorance is bliss right? Last but not least I have to get back to the gym and doing 2 miles on the tredmill. I felt so good when I was doing that daily, but I stopped when they switched my meds and I had a few bad days. I do not have very much fill that I can.....feel in my band but it's all I have to work with till after the holidays. I have to get back to basics and give myself a swift kick in my own butt! When will I ever get this right?

Thats probably the million dollar question for a lot of us bandsters...ha ha

We have all had to take a long look at our selves thru this journey, Lord knows I have. Hang in there and quit being so hard on yourself. I dont know what I would have done if it hadnt been for this web site. It has really been my saving grace. Theres a lot of information and support on here that I otherwise wouldnt have received. Stay with it. Your gonna be fine.

Famous Quote...."Tomorrows another day Scarlett" Ha ha

Thanks for that bit of support it got me thinking.Gone with the Wind was my late Mother's favorite book and movie. Scarlett also had a famose line that went.. " As God as my witness I will never go hungry again!"...too bad I cannot use that one! HA! Well, Fiddle Dee Dee!

I think you are being graced by your doc. 1200 is much higher than some get. I am to stay below 800. That should make you feel much better! Good luck!

As for the chewing thing don't be hard on yourself it is a really hard thing to learn to do. I constantly find myself forgetting how long to chew. The worst place is at the stove, I taste something and that is when I mess up the most. So I have to learn even if I am tasting food I have to go and sit down to do so, thus far I am not yet practicing it every time! You will get it and so will I!

Okay now, I am still waiting on approval and after reading this it makin me more NERVOUS!!!! Should I or shouldn't I????:faint:

you and me both

Well I found out Friday that I am approved and more confused than ever. As of right now I have decided not to go through with it. Like I said in my journal I may change my mind, but right now no.

I would do it again in a heartbeat! It is of course up to you but I would not even have to think about it I would do it again. I have now lost almost 30 pounds I feel great. I am down from tight 20's to 16's. I have still not had or needed a fill. I am three weeks out yesteday. I would not have to think about whether or not to do this again! I am not sure if that helps you to feel better about it but it is not all bad stuff that happens.

Yes there are drawbacks but they are nothing compared to ho wbad it feels to be morbidly obese.