Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass is no picnic either...

Quotes from bypass patients on another message board...

Well I thought for a few days there things were getting better. 3 weeks today post Lap RNY. I have had a rough few weeks and have been unable to eat much of anything including my protien or Vitamins. Saturday I was feeling better and thought I was on the better side of things then Sunday came. I was so sick, I have not been able to eat anything except for my fluids. Including again my protien or vitamins. I gag and get sick everytime I have Protein or my vitamins. As of right now I cannot even talk about protein or vitamins without gagging. Yesterday I had a scope done, everything looked really good, except maybe I have a small area in my intestine that has some scar tissue. But the Dr said yesterday that if in about 10 days I still have not been able to get any protien or vitamins down he is going to end up putting in a feeding tube. I am not really sure what to do because I cannot even stand the smell or taste of anything but Water or really really watered down orange CL. I had some tasteless protien powder that I tried adding to some CL and now I cannot even drink that without gagging. I don't want a feeding tube but I don't know what to try. I have gotten the sample pack from the web site of protien. Nothing works. I have watered it all way way down, not helping. I have vitamins from BE and they too make me really really sick to my stomach! I just don't know what to do. Please help.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Hi Ange and welcome to the boards. You are doing wonderful! My friend just had a stricture and has had it stretched for the first time, she may have to go back 3-4 more times until it is corrected, but she is in really great spirits. It is so great to have a supportive family, it makes all the difference.<o:p></o:p>

Hi everyone! This is my first time on here and it's great to read about everyone's journey. I had my surgery on July 11th 2006. I have lost 66 pds. to date. I did have some complications ulcers, a blood transfusion, strictures, low potassium etc. I have been in the hospital at least once a month since my surgery. Good news is this month is almost over and I haven't been in the hospital this month. But I must say all of the hospital and doctor staff are great. One of the hardest things I have had to deal with is the fatigue which comes and goes. I am doing much better at it but it is a challenge. One of the other issues I am currently dealing with more is the emotional roller coaster. Since after surgery I have noticed that I am more irratable and short fused in a shorter amount of time. Is this normal and how do I deal with this? I feel that I am become somewhat a frustrated and rude person to loved ones and coworkers. Any suggestions?<o:p></o:p>

I just spent the weekend with an old friend that had WLS over 2 years ago. To look at him I couldn't tell. He said that he is starting to gain again. I told him that he nneded to go back to his post-op eating habits and start all over again.....liquids, mush, etc. That would get him kick-started into eating better again.<!--sizec-->

<!--/sizec-->

<!--/sizeo--><!--sizeo:3-->Like Helen said....they operated on our innards, not our brains....though I sometimes wish they would have done the brain too!!!<o:p></o:p>

Hello all I just found this board and thought I would ask a question. (don't want to ask my doc)

I have been at this for 2 years now. I have been doing really good but find myself getting lazy and starting back with old habits. do some of you find this happen also? I don't want to give up and don't want to find myself back in size 22. I really need help here.<o:p></o:p>

This is going to take a bit more than just adding some protein rich Snacks. It is going to take a change in your mindset, a renewal of your commitment, the same commitment that led you to this surgery in the beginning.

You have done so well...170 pounds, my dear, is great! Unfortunately, too often we become lax after the first hundred pounds or so, and begin to kind of meld into that part of the eating world we left behind. Our pouches have healed, we can tolerate much more food than we could in the first six months. We can even tolerate a bite of bread, candy, Cookies, Pasta...all the food that got us into trouble in the first place. We quit drinking our Protein drinks, figuring we can get it all from food. Well, by doing that we get too many calories IF we end up getting the necessary protein.

So, back to basics. Hold yourself accountable by checking in the "What did you eat today?" thread. Start your day out with good protein. Plan your day's food...write it out, make sure you have things at work that are nourishing. Try not to think of having snacks. I know, it is semantics, but thinking you are eating snacks really does give you a kind of permission to snack whether you have good protein or not.<o:p></o:p>

Hi:

I am almost 6 months post-op. I have lost focus and motivation. I am crying all of the time. My emotions are scaring me & I feel out of control. I am still reaching for foods I should not eat (WLS did not change what I can eat except to grease). I do well at home, but work is a different story. My job circumstances are very stressful. I also think that I am grazing. I don't know how to get it back together. Everyday I say that I am going to do better. I have hit a plateau as a result of my behaviors. HELP!<o:p></o:p>

Michelle,

You are absolutely correct...weight loss surgery does not always work. It will not work if the person who had the surgery is not willing to follow doctor's orders, change his or her eating habits, will not exercise, will not drink the amount of water sufficient to avoid dehydration, will not take the vitamins necessary to sustain a healthy body. The surgery works...but the patient who looks for a quick fix, a magic spell, will be miserable, will gain the weight back as soon as he or she is released to regular food.

There are occasional (but rare) instances where someone reacted badly to the staples or had problems with strictures. Both can be dealt with. Gall stones can occur, even if the gall bladder has been removed. All the gall bladder does is serve as a receptacle for bile. The bile continues to be produced. These are complications.

But the surgery...it works. But only as well as the person receiving the surgery follows the program.<o:p></o:p>

My human fur ball extraction went well today. Took them 45 min. to breakup and force the beazor (human equivalent of food to a cat fur ball) out into the intesting. What fun!

But the good part is, that the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">GI Dr.</st1:address></st1:Street> is again going to try to get me Zelnorm! The only stomach medication that has ever helped me!<o:p></o:p>

Carlene, I'm going to ask that you not copy messages from other boards here unless you have permission from the posters to do so. Thanks.