Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was all ready to have the sleeve in October last year... Insurance was going to pay for it in full, I had two weeks paid leave from work, and lots of support... and I backed out one week before surgery!!! I told myself that I could do it (I've been overweight all 30 years of my life) but if I didnt, that I could have surgery down the road. Almost 6 months later I have put on a few more pounds and continue to hate myself so I have decided to go through with surgery... again! This time my insurance will not pay (I'm at a new job), I have to wait until July to be off during vacation so that I can get paid, and my support group has worn thin. But I'm going to do it! I have to travel to Michigan (650 miles away) but that is where I was born and raised so I have friends to stay with. My husband is upset with me because instead of maybe $2,000 last year, we have to pay $11,200 this year but I know that this is what I want.

What's different this time? I talked to some people who have had bariatric surgery. One girl told me "I knew that I couldnt do it on my own" and that is me! I have yoyo dieted all my life. I am tired of hating myself. I am tired of fighting with my husband because he says I am beautiful and I think I am disgusting. I know that this is not brain surgery but my surgeon said it kind of is. The impact of the drastic surgery does change your way of thinking and that is what I need to survive this life.

I think another thing that made me change my mind in October was reading all of the posts on this website. I appreciate all of the information that everyone posts but reading that people couldnt keep down Water was really scary! So why am I back? I want to prepare myself for what's to come and I also need the support from my fellow sleevers.

I look forward to this journey again! I wish everyone well!

B) Cat Lady

Good for you.. You need to do it and stop yoyo'ing your life away! Thats what I was doing and my PCP told I'm slowing killing, myself by doing that.

One good thing about being self pay... It' a 12 grand incentive to push you when you need it.

:D

I did sort of the same this as you. I started the process back in 2009. But then i was going for the RNY, but all the side effects and malabsorbtion and scary issues people had was really freaking me out. My surgeons PA told me that if i was 50 or 60 that the RNY would be a better choice because i wouldn't have to deal with the long term complications, but being as i was only in my mid 20's. Of course it was my choice, but he said he looks at it as it's his job to try to talk people out of surgery, since it's such a huge deal that way the people who still go through with it really know and understand what they are doing. I had a surgery date and everything, and backed out. about a year and a half later after gaining some more weight i decided to restart, but again backed down, because i just wasn't ok with the RNY. Finally my insurance approved the Sleeve, and i jumped on that and had my surgery March 6 and i haven't looked back yet! You will do great!!

I'm a Georgia girl, too! I am planning for June, so we'll be on a very similar track. All of the WLS procedures are a big deal, so good for you for waiting until you are sure.